Raise out of state fees!!

For every bird not shot, there is an additional bird out there with the "opportunity" to survive. Not saying that they will or won't, but a shot bird has zero chance to carry over. At least, if they are out there and there is a chance for them to survive the "drought, rain, snow, sleet, predator, act of God, Trump, Clinton, Obama, Bush, or whatever else we want to blame for their demise. The reality is simply a numbers game.
Of course, habitat is directly involved with any critter's survival. Shoot em all, and it won't matter what sort of wonderous habitat you have.

It's laughable to think that 'instaters' want to lower the limit, or preserve birds for carryover to "stockpile' for themselves.

It's laughable to think that 'instaters' want to lower the limit, or preserve birds for carryover to "stockpile' for themselves.

I support lowering the limit because I can't control what others do. I can only control what I do. I control when I pull the trigger and when I don't. If the limit is lowered then hopefully more birds will be left to survive and carry over. There is no perfect fix, but I think lowering the limit would help some. Would it solve the problem? No, but I think it would help.

The reality is, there is no single one thing - There are several pieces to the puzzle. Sure, weather, habitat are HUGE parts of the puzzle, but they simply aren't the ONLY piece. That's my point. Furthermore, just because a bird survives the season, doesn't mean that it will automatically die, as implied in another post. (IE leaving 'excess birds to die - I believe was the wordage)

Surprised nobody has mentioned gun plugs. Anyone remember a past discussion on this?

i have hunted Kansas as an NR for over 20 years now......it used to be awesome pheasant hunting there.....it was not ever known as a quail state, almost everyone came to hunt pheasants. the weather has and continues to affect the pheasant reproduction........drought and too much untimely rainfall (this year especially).....the quail bag limit was 6 for many years, no need for it to be 8. i prefer to take only 2 birds out of a normal sized covey....never shoot on the rise, need to judge how many are in the covey.....anything less than 10 birds, should be left alone as these birds are not as hardy as pheasants.....besides, i want to find this covey next year too. mostly i like to work my dog on the singles....don't have to shoot many or any to get the work in...the best part of the Kansas experience is the vast amount of WIHA's. some are worthless, but many offer many acres of grass and stubble in which to run the dog, all day long....and after the opener, especially mid week, i can avoid most other hunters.

Iowa is suffering from a lack of plentiful WIHA's.....from what i saw last year, there is too much "moonscape" from soybean production and not enough CRP. The main cover is roadside ditches.

SD is a joke...for the amount of public hunters and hunting pressure, they are really short of offering enough high quality public ground. SD is really about pay to hunt pen raised birds, as there are over 200 commercial hunting areas that do this. If you have access to enough private ground for no fee, then it can work for you there very well. but paying $200 a day to shoot a mix of wild and pen raised birds is just bullshit....i can stay home and shoot pen raised birds and sleep in my own bed every night....no travel costs either.

NE is adding some high quality walk in ground in their new walk in program, but it is limited and concentrated in the SW part of the state. The majority of the rest of the state has become intensely farmed with little or no landowner interest in habitat programs.

For me Kansas is a short 7 hour drive, offers both quail and pheasants and there is plenty of ground to chose from......yes, there are fewer birds, but i don't struggle to find access.

We were always known as one of the best quail states in the country. Maybe not in your limited years of hunting here but back in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's it was one of the best. We used to easily get into 15-20 coveys per day. About 1986 was the last good year I had. Since then down hill. Been hunting here for 45 years and I don't ever remember the limit being 6. Quail season need to open 1 or 2 weeks later than pheasant season like it used to be. And it should end in the early afternoon. License fee's should be raised for both resident and non resident. A sticker for the windshield should be mandatory for any state, federal, or WIHA ground just like it is required for fishing any of the reservoirs.

Last edited:
I have been hunting, Kansas included, for over 70 years. I believe I can say that the cost of a license and killing out all the birds are not related. There are, unfortunately, residents and non-, that are not ethical and should have trouble sleeping at night. If an extra fee would make the habitat better, the numbers increase, and all the other things that make us enjoy our sport I think most of us would be all for it. I have long advocated that there are a few who must look at our game as their enemy. They seem to feel like the only satisfaction is "I killed my limit, man, we slaughtered them" discourse is what makes them happy. How tragic. If you don't have a sense of sportsmanship, companionship, an appreciation for the great outdoors, love of the thrill of watching your favorite dog working, the smell of the fresh air, and the overall anticipation of the upcoming season then my sympathy to you. If you want meat go to the market. If you just want to kill birds, go to the game farms. In the long run it is cheaper anyway and you can really put some notches in your gun. These are the guys that ride with their window down, try to crowd you out in the WIHAs, are driving slow at sundown hoping to get another shot in the ditch, and want to go to the cafe and talk loud about their success. They don't look for crippled birds and if it flies, or better yet sits or runs, it is fair game.
These guys won't shoot out a covey unless they catch it huddled under a bush because they are too lazy or shoot to badly to wipe out a covey. In Texas they have done a lengthy study on quail population with all types of variables imaginable. Conclusion, RAIN AND BIRD NUMBERS are the big deal. If you think about the far reaching impact it makes a lot of sense. Moisture, at the right time and amounts is the magic part of that equation. We need to all do our part in supporting the preservation of habitat and sensible laws regarding our game birds. Sensible regulations are a necessity but bag limits are just a small part as to bird number control. Support your landowners, obey the rules,
be safe, and take a kid hunting.

Last edited:
I've hunted a block management place this year 3 times this season, and there are 6 roosters living in a thicket on the property. I could have killed most of them, but they are just too young. Don't shoot the young birds!! I hope they make it through the winter, so they will be big birds next am.Its a matter of doing the right thing.

Cant teach ethics to idiots. I understand the frustration when you see outta state hunters. I feel a sense of "what are you doing here" when I see out of state tags when hunting in Kansas and I am an out of state hunter myself. Raising fees will do very little to detour hunting pressure or slaughtering birds. Also, you can't let opening day ruin how you feel about other hunters. But I understand. I went to Vegas opening weekend of deer season here in Missouri. Came back only to find 6 or 7 deer carcasses on either side of the road heading up to my driveway. Some only had the tender loins and backstraps cut out. The rest tossed in a ditch. Makes me sick! Was it out of staters? Probably. But it could also be kids not taught the proper ethics. I highly doubt its locals because they don't usually shit where they eat, but could be local kids. It still pisses me off but had I been here to see the carcasses fresh, or worse caught the guys, I may have ended up in jail myself. So I go to vegas and avoid the madness that is gun season here. And Ive seen the orange armies in Kansas and it makes me cringe sometimes but don't let it ruin your outlook. The hunter that ground swats a covey of quail sitting in a bush in Kansas does the same thing when he sees a covey in his home state. Hopefully I've taught my daughter right and she follows the same ethics that I follow when it comes to bird hunting.

I have been hunting, Kansas included, for over 70 years. I believe I can say that the cost of a license and killing out all the birds are not related. There are, unfortunately, residents and non-, that are not ethical and should have trouble sleeping at night. If an extra fee would make the habitat better, the numbers increase, and all the other things that make us enjoy our sport I think most of us would be all for it. I have long advocated that there are a few who must look at our game as their enemy. They seem to feel like the only satisfaction is "I killed my limit, man, we slaughtered them" discourse is what makes them happy. How tragic. If you don't have a sense of sportsmanship, companionship, an appreciation for the great outdoors, love of the thrill of watching your favorite dog working, the smell of the fresh air, and the overall anticipation of the upcoming season then my sympathy to you. If you want meat go to the market. If you just want to kill birds, go to the game farms. In the long run it is cheaper anyway and you can really put some notches in your gun. These are the guys that ride with their window down, try to crowd you out in the WIHAs, are driving slow at sundown hoping to get another shot in the ditch, and want to go to the cafe and talk loud about their success. They don't look for crippled birds and if it flies, or better yet sits or runs, it is fair game.
These guys won't shoot out a covey unless they catch it huddled under a bush because they are too lazy or shoot to badly to wipe out a covey. In Texas they have done a lengthy study on quail population with all types of variables imaginable. Conclusion, RAIN AND BIRD NUMBERS are the big deal. If you think about the far reaching impact it makes a lot of sense. Moisture, at the right time and amounts is the magic part of that equation. We need to all do our part in supporting the preservation of habitat and sensible laws regarding our game birds. Sensible regulations are a necessity but bag limits are just a small part as to bird number control. Support your landowners, obey the rules,
be safe, and take a kid hunting.

+1.

I do find it interesting that the premis is lack of respect by out of staters. I suspect it has nothing to do with where you live. Do we also think to ourselves in this situation described if they had in-state plates these unethical individuals must have come from the "big city". I grew up in rural missouri and have hunting birds my entire life, went to college in western Kansas and fell in love with the people and hunting in that great state as well. With that said, my experience has been I've seen more local "boys" hit coveys far harder than any out of stater I've run across (Missour or Kansas) or someone who's not an every weekend hunter.

Upland hunting is not a growing outdoor activity. Raising the cost of license only increases the barrier to entry which has far reaching and potentially negative long term ramification economically. I'll be in Kansas for a good little while after deer season, I hope to run across a few on this board.

Cant teach ethics to idiots. I understand the frustration when you see outta state hunters. I feel a sense of "what are you doing here" when I see out of state tags when hunting in Kansas and I am an out of state hunter myself. Raising fees will do very little to detour hunting pressure or slaughtering birds. Also, you can't let opening day ruin how you feel about other hunters. But I understand. I went to Vegas opening weekend of deer season here in Missouri. Came back only to find 6 or 7 deer carcasses on either side of the road heading up to my driveway. Some only had the tender loins and backstraps cut out. The rest tossed in a ditch. Makes me sick! Was it out of staters? Probably. But it could also be kids not taught the proper ethics. I highly doubt its locals because they don't usually shit where they eat, but could be local kids. It still pisses me off but had I been here to see the carcasses fresh, or worse caught the guys, I may have ended up in jail myself. So I go to vegas and avoid the madness that is gun season here. And I've seen the orange armies in Kansas and it makes me cringe sometimes but don't let it ruin your outlook. The hunter that ground swats a covey of quail sitting in a bush in Kansas does the same thing when he sees a covey in his home state. Hopefully I've taught my daughter right and she follows the same ethics that I follow when it comes to bird hunting.

i don't think this is even a topic here, if the pheasant population wasn't so grim. why is the Kansas pheasant limit 4 instead of 3 as in SD, NE and IA? marketing!

Last edited:
My 24 y o son didnt buy a nr small game license this year because of cost so hes doing other things instead. Not KS but another state at $155+

One point I'll add and have observed over the years:

WIHA and quail management just aren't compatible.

Even if each group of hunters is committed to taking only a limited number from a covey, they have no way of knowing whether that same covey was hunted a hour ago, a day ago, or a week ago. In my experience, when land with quail goes into WIHA the quail don't seem to last more than a year or two. Even lower limits and higher fees won't help that situation.

With private land, you can control who hunts and you can control how many birds are taken out of a covey and when. Not saying that WIHA is bad, just that it impacts quail harder than pheasant.

Cass

i don't think this is even a topic here, if the pheasant population wasn't so grim. why is the Kansas pheasant limit 4 instead of 3 as in SD, NE and IA? marketing!

Our legislatures marketing theme is "long seasons" and "liberal bag limits". Unfortunately this what they advertise on the outdoor channel. When you have commercials on the outdoor channel promoting this, you have sold out your residents.

Something to keep in mind when you see my out of state truck in western Kansas is how many trips did it make last spring to help plant the milo. How much time did I take off work for wheat harvest in the summer. Wait what about this fall to drill what little wheat we were able too and run the combine through the milo only to be stereotyped as an out of state hunter. Food for thought.

Something to keep in mind when you see my out of state truck in western Kansas is how many trips did it make last spring to help plant the milo. How much time did I take off work for wheat harvest in the summer. Wait what about this fall to drill what little wheat we were able too and run the combine through the milo only to be stereotyped as an out of state hunter. Food for thought.

This exactly. Live in Texas. Own Kansas land. Farm the land specifically for birds. Most often encounter Johnson County and Wyandotte tags when I'm running them out of my "no hunting" posted land.

Nope. Complaining about people suggesting I shouldn't be able to hunt opening weekend.

Well I am not suggesting that at all. But I also don't see it as a problem as the opening weekend is the worst time to hunt. Personally I hate the first 2 weekends. I generally don't start hunting until Thanksgiving week. Got give a few weeks to get the idiots and drunks out of the fields, then the real hunters can have at it.

this whole thread turned in to a useless bitch session because one guy got butt hurt when some NR showed up at his favorite spot....get over it!

Well I am not suggesting that at all. But I also don't see it as a problem as the opening weekend is the worst time to hunt. Personally I hate the first 2 weekends. I generally don't start hunting until Thanksgiving week. Got give a few weeks to get the idiots and drunks out of the fields, then the real hunters can have at it.

Hey, I resemble that !

Back