Raise out of state fees!!

That’s what they are doing now and everybody’s crying about it. And I think they are probably right, even if I don’t think the solutions they propose are not really effective ways to mitigate the problems. That said, leasing land for hunting is an industry. And just like there are some (but probably not enough) regulations on all kind of other extractive industries, there’s no reason hunting leases shouldn’t also be regulated in a way that preserves and protects the public interest. Wildlife, after all, is not the possession of landowners.

hunting leases will never be regulated.....it is private land, the owner makes the rules, as it should be.

hunting leases will never be regulated.....it is private land, the owner makes the rules, as it should be.

Yes that is how it should be. Even if the public does own the wildlife I feed them. I conservatively lose tens of thousands of dollars a year just to deer damage around the edge of my fields. I don't see any problem if I choose to get some compensation back for the damage. I will give an example. We have around 3000 acres or corn or just a tad more. The outside 40 feet on the yield monitor often yields 100 bushel per acre less than the field average. So every 1100 feet is 400 bucks along deer cover. It doesn't take long for it to add up. The state doesn't compensate us one nickel for that damage. Also dig a dead deer out of a corn header sometime, it's not a lot of fun. Luckily it didn't make it inside the combine. Private property is private property whether it's someones house and yard or raw land.

Cool, now that the enlightening lecture on junior high school-level libertarian property rights theory is over...we can talk about the libertarian economics you are forgetting: if you don’t regulate leasing, then that’s just how the free market works. Those with money get to hunt. Those without get to whine on the internet about rich out of staters taking their spots.

Yes that is how it should be. Even if the public does own the wildlife I feed them. I conservatively lose tens of thousands of dollars a year just to deer damage around the edge of my fields. I don't see any problem if I choose to get some compensation back for the damage. I will give an example. We have around 3000 acres or corn or just a tad more. The outside 40 feet on the yield monitor often yields 100 bushel per acre less than the field average. So every 1100 feet is 400 bucks along deer cover. It doesn't take long for it to add up. The state doesn't compensate us one nickel for that damage. Also dig a dead deer out of a corn header sometime, it's not a lot of fun. Luckily it didn't make it inside the combine. Private property is private property whether it's someones house and yard or raw land.

There is no shortage of public land to hunt. There are still farmers who will let you hunt if you ask. That is, if they don't read this site and see some of the attitudes towards property rights.

There is no shortage of public land to hunt. There are still farmers who will let you hunt if you ask. That is, if they don't read this site and see some of the attitudes towards property rights.

Funny many of the same on here that bitch about government handouts, bitch about not having unfettered access to another man's property.

Funny many of the same on here that bitch about government handouts, bitch about not having unfettered access to another man's property.

hardly a year goes by when i don't stumble over 3-4 trophy bucks, while pheasant hunting in the (WIHA) CRP.....this year you can probably walk right by them and never know it.

hardly a year goes by when i don't stumble over 3-4 trophy bucks, while pheasant hunting in the (WIHA) CRP.....this year you can probably walk right by them and never know it.

Yes there are lots of big deer on WIHA. There is also good pheasant hunting. I have access to more private ground than I can hunt in a year, and still hunt a few WIHA's because they are good. Last year a couple of my best hunts were on WIHA, and both late in the year. On one patch I drive by it a lot, have never seen a hunter on it, and last year there were no tracks in the gate or on the mud road that goes to it. But for a lot on here, if they don't have access to prime private ground than they are getting screwed.

I love WIHA. I’m very glad nonresidents are able to subsidize the vast majority of a program like that and make it possible, both for Kansans who won’t or can’t fund programs like that for themselves, or who are priced out of access by the unregulated free market and absolutist ideas about private property rights like the ones that lead to the extirpation of most of Kansas’ wildlife in the early part of the last century.

You guys should be glad that your state holds birds, here in WI the wild pheasant is gone with them the huns & quail too. Grouse numbers are falling waterfowl is a joke (more hunters then birds) turkey yes , deer yap , doves on private sure. I would gladly deal w/ out of state hunters that means my state has birds.

You guys should be glad that your state holds birds, here in WI the wild pheasant is gone with them the huns & quail too. Grouse numbers are falling waterfowl is a joke (more hunters then birds) turkey yes , deer yap , doves on private sure. I would gladly deal w/ out of state hunters that means my state has birds.

We just have an issue with OOS hunters and Deer in WI lol. Although I do see my fair share of IL license plates on the public lands I pheasant hunt on in SE WI so maybe that's becoming an issue too.

I’m amazed with all the walk-in land available the hunting license isn’t more in Kansas. It’s a bargain in my opinion and if I was a Kansan I’d be for raising out of state licenses too. As a landowner it always amazes me how freely people ask to hunt on your land and seem offended if you’ve leased it or have family hunting it or want compensation. Plus most know I personally hunt. Who else gets asked to give people something of theirs for free?

Someone else mentioned it but I know for a fact I can hunt several thousand acres now that has been posted tight for decades just because their calves were out and we took the time to help get them all rounded up and put back in their lot pens. Never even asked about hunting. You the guy told us he did not allow hunting but by gosh y’all have permission for life. All he ask of us is to let him know when we are in the area so he knows what we are driving.

Someone else mentioned it but I know for a fact I can hunt several thousand acres now that has been posted tight for decades just because their calves were out and we took the time to help get them all rounded up and put back in their lot pens. Never even asked about hunting. You the guy told us he did not allow hunting but by gosh y’all have permission for life. All he ask of us is to let him know when we are in the area so he knows what we are driving.

Doing the right thing is always the right thing to do.

Back