Raise out of state fees!!

Increasing fees won't increase ethics!
Not necessarily an out of state problem.

So true......I am done with all the work I have put into my properties here after this season. I plant food plots,shrubs and mixed grasses for pheasant habitat. They have flourished

as a result. After all the trespassers this year and poaching of other species, that will all be gone next year....It will be plowed to black dirt to erase any habitat at all. Hundreds of

acres. I tried to establish an incubator to produce the wildlife so the surrounding areas would have game, but when they enter the incubator without permission time and time

again it is time for it to go. I see very little for ethics in this area.

I'm an out of state hunter too and am happy to pay my dues to come hunt. But I'm curious how @AteUp could tell they slaughtered a whole covey. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Unless he was out in the field hunting with them, I doubt he could tell how many birds they killed. I hunt with a bunch of friends and it sounds like a war zone when a covey of quail, or a single pheasant gets up. Some of my buddies just can't shoot, but they love to unload their guns. I'd be willing to bet $10,000 to any group that could "slaughter" a whole covey of quail. (Please don't do it, I'm just trying to make a point) It's impossible. I've been hunting quail in Western Oklahoma for 30 years and I've killed 6 or 7 out of a covey (stupid) but never seen a whole covey eliminated. I'm gonna guess @AteUp is just frustrated about some hunters enjoying one of his prime places. For the most part, guys that travel to hunt are pretty good fellas. There are a few jerks, but that's life in general. Don't generalize the whole group based on a couple idiots.

So true......I am done with all the work I have put into my properties here after this season. I plant food plots,shrubs and mixed grasses for pheasant habitat. They have flourished

as a result. After all the trespassers this year and poaching of other species, that will all be gone next year....It will be plowed to black dirt to erase any habitat at all. Hundreds of

acres. I tried to establish an incubator to produce the wildlife so the surrounding areas would have game, but when they enter the incubator without permission time and time

sorry to hear that.......there are many of us who appreciate your efforts. probably a few of us who would throw in a couple hundred bucks for the habitat work you are doing, plus post the ground and have some chance to hunt it exclusively. thanks for your efforts.

I'd question the ethics of a man who would salt the earth to spite a couple trespassers, but I'm a Kansan, and the people that brought me up weren't all that fragile and didn't quit easy.

Watched an out of state group slaughter a 12-15 bird covey this afternoon.
Need to either raise fees or have two 5 day periods like other states. I know everyone is not like that
bur seen it enough to know to many are.

Oh, the old out-of-stater boogeyman...

If a person really wanted to recommend a policy change to help quail and pheasant populations, out-of-state hunting is way, way down on the list of meaningful changes. The top would be changing the way Kansas farmers treat the land and the way the state government manages it's paucity of public land.

i do wish kansas would push the quail opener back about 2 weeks. money wont stop or help anything really. but i do think that if the quail season was shorter it would help the survival rate. i know big groups are hard on the quail especially if they arnt having any luck finding the roosters to knock down, but thats not just a out of state thing. i can hunt quail around home, so when i get out into pheasant country i dont typically target them. not saying i wont shoot a couple but hardly ever seem to take more than 1 bird out of a covey. theres plenty of covies out there hunt to multiple covies a day.

I'd question the ethics of a man who would salt the earth to spite a couple trespassers, but I'm a Kansan, and the people that brought me up weren't all that fragile and didn't quit easy.

Excuse me! I would never "salt" the ground. I will simply convert it into crop land to produce food etc. The land I have in habitat is all free from any government

payments or help from anyone. I invested all my own resources and time into them instead of using them for personal profit. The only payback was to see wildlife

flourish.

I am not so "fragile" as you put it to quit easily..this has been a nearly decade long fight against those who disrespect the rights of others. The peaceful enjoyment

of one's land etc. Not related to you, but my current poaching case is with someone from Kansas for shooting a deer on my over posted property.

sorry to hear that.......there are many of us who appreciate your efforts. probably a few of us who would throw in a couple hundred bucks for the habitat work you are doing, plus post the ground and have some chance to hunt it exclusively. thanks for your efforts.

Thanks, I do appreciate your compliments. I probably got more joy out of trying my best to establish habitat than those I did permit to hunt it.

To watch things grow and your efforts rewarded with an increase in what nature provided is very rewarding. Just can't handle the stress of those who

sneak in without permission and then litter,shoot holes in my tree tubes, hang dead pheasant hens on my gate and cut my fences over and over.....and dress

pheasants right outside my fence in a show of defiance and taunting. I will miss the good things that came of it and will continue to have a feeling of

accomplishment knowing the rest of the area contains life that was started here. Thanks again.

I am in favor of not letting residents hunt WIHA for the first week of the season.

I’m in favor of Kansans deciding what to do with Kansas’s hunting laws and seasons, but Kansans should educate themselves about how WIHA is paid for. WIHA, like so much in Kansas, from its agricultural economy to its infrastructure, is heavily reliant on federal subsidies from non-Kansans to exist.

I wouldn't call it a subsidy.

The Pittman–Robertson Act took over a pre-existing 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition.[7][8] Instead of going into the U.S. Treasury as it had done in the past, the money is kept separate and is given to the Secretary of the Interior to distribute to the States.[4][8][9] The Secretary determines how much to give to each state based on a formula that takes into account both the area of the state and its number of licensed hunters.[2][3][6][9][10]

States must fulfill certain requirements to use the money apportioned to them. None of the money from their hunting license sales may be used by anyone other than the states's fish and game department.[3][6][8] Plans for what to do with the money must be submitted to and approved by the Secretary of the Interior.[6] Acceptable options include research, surveys, management of wildlife and/or habitat, and acquisition or lease of land.[1][6][10] Once a plan has been approved, the state must pay the full cost and is later reimbursed for up to 75% of that cost through P–R funds.[1][3][10] The 25% of the cost that the state must pay generally comes from its hunting license sales.[1] If, for whatever reason, any of the federal money does not get spent, after two years that money is then reallocated to the Migratory Bird Conservation Act.[6][9]

In the 1970s, amendments created a 10% tax on handguns and their ammunition and accessories as well as an 11% tax on archery equipment.[1][2][3][8][10] It was also mandated for half of the money from each of the new taxes to be used to educate and train hunters by the creation and maintenance of hunter safety classes and shooting/target ranges.[

Thanks, I do appreciate your compliments. I probably got more joy out of trying my best to establish habitat than those I did permit to hunt it.

To watch things grow and your efforts rewarded with an increase in what nature provided is very rewarding. Just can't handle the stress of those who

sneak in without permission and then litter,shoot holes in my tree tubes, hang dead pheasant hens on my gate and cut my fences over and over.....and dress

pheasants right outside my fence in a show of defiance and taunting. I will miss the good things that came of it and will continue to have a feeling of

accomplishment knowing the rest of the area contains life that was started here. Thanks again.

Wow! I can definitely understand your frustration with that type of behavior. That goes beyond poor ethics. That is like giving you a big F YOU! Too bad a few have to ruin things for the large majority who respect and follow the rules and care about the wildlife, fellow hunters and landowners like you. Thanks for your efforts!

I wouldn't call it a subsidy.

WIHA is the definition of a subsidy. Public money paid to the private sector to keep the price of goods and services artificially low. And it is absolutely unsustainable without out-of-state money, just like the roads we drive on to go hunting in Kansas, the electrical grid we use to charge our phones and all those weird devices pointing dog people have to carry around for their dogs that beep and buzz, the cell and internet infrastructure that we use to tell use where we are and what bars are open near Leoti at 9 pm on Wednesday, even the farms that the birds eat the grain from are almost all subsidized in one form or another by people who don't live in Kansas. Kansas is a net-debtor state, that takes more in federal taxes every year than it contributes, for God's sakes. The entire place is a giant welfare state, paid for by Oregon and California and New York and Texas.

I say it's worth it. Lot's of those Californians and Oregonian disagree. Hopefully they don't find out how Kansans feel about the few people who do visit Kansas each year...

But that's not really the issue we're discussing...which is whether or not it would even be effective to limit big, bad, out-of-staters (who apparently are better shots than Kansans, hunt harder, and find more birds) from marauding and pillaging all the stuff Kansans "deserve" to have all to themselves. It wouldn't. Because hunting, as practiced today, doesn't really affect bird populations. Habitat does. Out of state hunters aren't killing all the birds. Kansas farmers are. And if you don't do something about that, the out-of-state bird hunter problem will correct itself soon enough. Ask Iowans.

WIHA is the definition of a subsidy. Public money paid to the private sector to keep the price of goods and services artificially low. And it is absolutely unsustainable without out-of-state money, just like the roads we drive on to go hunting in Kansas, the electrical grid we use to charge our phones and all those weird devices pointing dog people have to carry around for their dogs that beep and buzz, the cell and internet infrastructure that we use to tell use where we are and what bars are open near Leoti at 9 pm on Wednesday, even the farms that the birds eat the grain from are almost all subsidized in one form or another by people who don't live in Kansas. Kansas is a net-debtor state, that takes more in federal taxes every year than it contributes, for God's sakes. The entire place is a giant welfare state, paid for by Oregon and California and New York and Texas.

I say it's worth it. Lot's of those Californians and Oregonian disagree. Hopefully they don't find out how Kansans feel about the few people who do visit Kansas each year...

But that's not really the issue we're discussing...which is whether or not it would even be effective to limit big, bad, out-of-staters (who apparently are better shots than Kansans, hunt harder, and find more birds) from marauding and pillaging all the stuff Kansans "deserve" to have all to themselves. It wouldn't. Because hunting, as practiced today, doesn't really affect bird populations. Habitat does. Out of state hunters aren't killing all the birds. Kansas farmers are. And if you don't do something about that, the out-of-state bird hunter problem will correct itself soon enough. Ask Iowans.

What bars are open near Leoti at 9pm on a Wednesday? :cheers:

well said..........Nebraska is still trying to recover from their wildlife shortage by implementing the Bergman Act.

they also just announced......

LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission will release rooster pheasants at 13 wildlife management areas in time for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

The 13 areas are: Oak Valley (Madison County), Wilkinson (Platte County), Sherman Reservoir (Sherman County), Pressey (Custer County), Branched Oak (Lancaster County), Yankee Hill (Lancaster County), Twin Oaks (Johnson County), Hickory Ridge (Johnson County), Cornhusker (Hall County), Kirkpatrick Basin North (York County), Arrowhead (Gage County), Rakes Creek (Cass County) and George Syas (Platte County). Kirkpatrick Basin North and Wilkinson are non-toxic shot only, but otherwise all normal regulations apply.

well said..........Nebraska is still trying to recover from their wildlife shortage by implementing the Bergman Act.

they also just announced......

LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission will release rooster pheasants at 13 wildlife management areas in time for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

The 13 areas are: Oak Valley (Madison County), Wilkinson (Platte County), Sherman Reservoir (Sherman County), Pressey (Custer County), Branched Oak (Lancaster County), Yankee Hill (Lancaster County), Twin Oaks (Johnson County), Hickory Ridge (Johnson County), Cornhusker (Hall County), Kirkpatrick Basin North (York County), Arrowhead (Gage County), Rakes Creek (Cass County) and George Syas (Platte County). Kirkpatrick Basin North and Wilkinson are non-toxic shot only, but otherwise all normal regulations apply.

I will quit hunting before I ever shoot a tame bird.

Back