Quail Loads?

Well I currently use a 12 guage which is probably too big of a guage. My favorite load to shoot is a Rio 8 shot 1-1/8 oz. It's pretty inexpensive too.

I sure harvested a whole lot of quail and doves, with 3-1-8's. Before the establishment went to 1 1/8th's ounce with 3.25 drams of shot. I do it now with brass shells, the lower end factory ammo in 3-1-8's, I have found are liable to have poor quality. I use 3-1-8's in muzzle loading too. 82 grains FFG-1 ounce of nice shot, or lead. Nice even loads. For pheasant and quail together, which what we normally have, I use Golden Pheasant 7 1/2's-max loaded, I believe 2 3/4", 3.75 drams, 1 3/8 ounces, nickle washed. Birds are dead, without tearing up the game.

I like 7/8 oz in my 20ga and 3/4oz in my 28ga 7.5 shot, low velocity through cyl/ ic chokes. B&P, estate, Winchester, whatever is cheap.

I doesn't take much to kill a quail and over point the shot is close range.

Any 7.5 lead 20ga shell with an open choke will do, as long as it goes bang when it is supposed to, for Bobs.

An ounce of number 8s through cylinder and skeet chokes.

shot

in my neck of the woods, kinda the opposite from that guy that runs setters is that my quail are shot by accident as they are far and few between, pheasants being the more common bird. I use small guns, usually a 28 ga., impoved cly, first barrel with 7/8oz 7.5's and I have both birds covered. works for me.

cheers

Lead 6 is in the chamber. I feel comfortable shooting either a pheasant or quail that flushes unexpectedly. If I pump the action the six is replaced with a 7 1/2. When I approach a point I put the 7 1/2 in the chamber. I try to kill the bird cleanly while minimizing breast damage.

The really nice thing about hunting quail, all you need is a competent dog, favorite shotgun,( lighter as I get older), good boots, and a pocket full of low base shells. All other enjoyable aspects are brought about by the bird, the scenery, the dog, and all the wonders of combining the three. Best part....it's not complicated.....not grand military plan to cut off the birds, ( they are going to fly where they want too!), organizing drives, putting out decoys, dragging around waders, being up 3 hours before sunrise. Get there after the birds have moved in the morning, take a siesta in the hot part of the day, rested up for the evening hours. No wonder quail hunters, and bird dogs are the gentleman of the uplands.......some of the pheasant hunters don't even use a dog:eek:, and shoot #4 mags, :confused: #6, #7, ( I like it because it's unusual), #7 1/2, #8, and I have used #9's in timber, all will suffice, if you can hit them! Sling you vest, call the dog, see what on the other side of the hill.

stories

if you want to read really good stuff, classic writings, there are none on pheasants and there are reasons for it, they just ain't a gentlemen's classy bird, mostly just plain ol' blue collar stuff. now we enter the quail, that is where the gentlemen and the really good writers concentrated and there is a reason for it, they are a classy bird, the hunt is classy and a pretty ok dog really shines and that is classy too. no pump or auto's allowed, just gotta be a small ga. double, possibly one on top of the other but generally not. should also have a straight stock and two triggers are an important part of the scene also. so, folks, there ya have it. get up late, take a noon break, for the dog, not you, and then enter the field again. a good stiff shot afterwards is the final touch of class. my 14 ga. really shines on one of these hunts

cheers

Probably a funny subject here. I hunt quail, harvest pheasants along the way. Sometimes I prefer hunting in areas without pheasants, the pure simplicity of hunting quail, range for the dogs is desirable, no worries for heavier shot, or range. A harmonious, predictable country walk. Scenery? My knees buckle seeing prairie grass, plum thickets, and a milo field with invasive shatter cane!

there ain't no such thing as a cheap 28 ga. shell no matter how slow the quail run and or fly

cheers

Cheap is a relative term when it comes to hunting. I like choosing my shots so I probably spend less on my shells for a season than on one tank of gas. Now when lead shot is phased out in california in the next few years it may be a different story.

Probably a funny subject here. I hunt quail, harvest pheasants along the way. Sometimes I prefer hunting in areas without pheasants, the pure simplicity of hunting quail, range for the dogs is desirable, no worries for heavier shot, or range. A harmonious, predictable country walk. Scenery? My knees buckle seeing prairie grass, plum thickets, and a milo field with invasive shatter cane!

Yep, I can relate. :thumbsup:

Quail Guns

gun of choice for me is the 28 ga. Chokes are improved and modified. shot is 7.5, but 8's will do in a pinch.

Back