Quail Loads?

I would shoot 8's more, but when a pheasant gets pointed, 7.5s do better on those going away shots on them.

An ounce and a quarter of number 6 in the second barrel can handle that too.

I've always favored a light 20 gauge for gentleman Bob. My Llewellins loved it when I shoot Estate heavy game loads of 1 oz 7.5's....:)

quail

gotta keep in mind that the quail don't care what they get hit with and to do a great job of hitting and killing a few ya don't need a goose load either. 7.5's are a great choice if pheasants are in the area otherwise you will do better with a smaller size shot

cheers

there ain't no such thing as a cheap 28 ga. shell no matter how slow the quail run and or fly

cheers

I use 28ga as well. Fiocchi #8 2.75inch. $8/box of 25. What's that, about $.05 more per shot than 20ga?

With as few times as I shoot per year, I'm happy to take my 28ga for a stroll and spend the extra $.25 a day.;)

Since lead is being phased out here I decided to start experimenting with some non tox. I have a box of federal steel 7's to try in my 28ga this weekend, we'll see how the do I guess.

steel shot

good luck this week end, you will do just fine with your steel 7's. a number of guy's on here bought some for dove hunting, don't think they reported their feeling about using them. not to brag, but to give you some confidence, while you know I use a similar gun and gauge, I use # 6's for everything I shoot and in the past year I have shot over 30 pheasants, about that many ducks, and 6 geese, my shot is going just under 1500fps, my stats show steel having no more wounding loss than lead. if I were needing steel to shoot either quail or dove, 7's would be the choice. I have been shooting 1/2 oz, now shooting 5/8 oz. remember, 40 yds. is a long way to shoot the smaller steel, esp. for 7's, and while you may be shooting 1/2 oz, steel being about 40% ighter means you are shooting about 40% more pellets than the same load in lead, as you get no flyer's from steel, your pattern should be tighter and more even. your steel wads are quite thick so therefore your chokes are constricted more. anyway the past part two days I shot at 10 ducks and killed 9 of them, if I can do it so can you. also recently I saw an ad for a Jack tee shirt, didn't know how to copy it but basically it show pictures of all the things you could teach the dog, thought it funny, you wouldn't have like it anyway

cheers

The steel did just fine, I went 3 for 5 both days with birds dead on the ground shooting cyl/ Ic chokes.:thumbsup:

Back