Putting weigth on puppy

Jordan54

Hello,

I have a 10 month old GSP that weighs 36 pounds. He is a finicky eater and I am having a hard time putting any weight on him. The Vet is concerned that he does not have a enough weight on him with the hunting season coming up. They have given him some Science diet treats to add to his food to help with putting weight on him. They also suggested FROMM food. He is currently on Purina pro sport dog food. Has anyone heard of FROMM? Is it any good? Do you think it would help with putting some weight on him?

Thanks

I don't know how familiar your vet is with hunting dogs, dogs that actively hunt. But in my experience, that age is when they are hitting their growth spurt and look really thin. I also think at least with my dogs, the more I exercise them, the more they eat. I don't know of too many dogs that will willingly starve themselves to death, or to the point of being unhealthy. Unless something else is wrong, or at work here.

I'm not saying you do this, but I think a lot of people create really picky dogs and picky eaters by constantly switching foods, or adding this or that. I feed them, they eat. If they don't, cool, I put it back in the bin. Now if they are normally good eaters and they skip a meal, or have been exercised a lot and aren't eating well, then yeah, I get concerned. Just know your dog.

I run my dogs every day. All my dogs eat well, for the most part, except a little bitch I have. She eats when she wants. Usually leaves food in the bowl and I put it back. She can hunt all day, is in great shape, and doesn't have a lick of fat on her. I'm not concerned, I prefer them in lean, good shape. The others, will eat everything I put down in front of them. It just varies.

In answer to your question, Pro Plan is a good feed. A LOT of the very best trial dogs and pets and everything in between use it. I've not heard of FROMM.

10 months old! Keep feeding the dog puppy food. They should be on it till at least 12 months. It provides extra nutrition that puppies need as they grow. I have never seen a 10 month puppy that is overweight or plump. Don't worry about it some of my dogs can be free fed and only eat when they need or want to, never hurt them. Some dogs will always eat. Kind of like me! Some people eat to live, some people live to eat!

Thanks for the input. I was never really concerned about it until the vet told me that they were concerned. They went even as far saying that they were concerned that if he didn't have enough fat on him for the upcoming season that he could get seizures. Well the season is 3 weeks away and that was very concerning to me. I never want to put my dog in harms away.

I stepped into the Vet's office in my new community. I wanted to met her and possibly transfer my dog to a closer vet. I asked her about pain relief for hard running dogs. when she explained to me that a dog should never under any circumstances run for more than 1 mile a day, I turned on my heels and kept walking. Not slamming your vet, but I learned that day, that not every vet knows what their taking about. You could try a different vet and get another opinion or talk to your breeder.

I stepped into the Vet's office in my new community. I wanted to met her and possibly transfer my dog to a closer vet. I asked her about pain relief for hard running dogs. when she explained to me that a dog should never under any circumstances run for more than 1 mile a day, I turned on my heels and kept walking. Not slamming your vet, but I learned that day, that not every vet knows what their taking about. You could try a different vet and get another opinion or talk to your breeder.

Wow tell that to a musher in Alaska!

My 9 yo GSP sometimes has seizures. I'll give him a something a little sweet like a peanut butter cracker or a piece of bread.

Stick with Purina Large Breed Puppy, it's a good food. Go to three feedings a day with a total amount a little more than your feeding now. Maybe add some warm water, a lot of dogs really enjoy this.

When I got Tinker (GWP) at one year old, she was like a ballerina: skin over skeleton, barely containing enthusiasm and bounces.

It's been a year and one half now, and she's filled out a bit, and is slowly becoming somewhat more contained.

Try bacon grease or hamburger grease on her food. It's high calorie, helps the coat, and the dogs I've had love it. That, and a few treats during the day will continue to fuel the pup. (although some folks will strongly disagree--your choice)

It'll be fine. Like these folks have said, the dog will sustain itself; right now, it's just a puppy.

Last edited:
I have a two year old Brittany female that is very lean, she eats when she wants too and I think she has negative % body fat, but she is the energizer bunny when hunting. After the hunt she eats her food and I always fill it up again to ensure she gets her fill of food. I feed her in the morning and evenings. She weights roughly 33 pounds.

Hello,

I have a 10 month old GSP that weighs 36 pounds. He is a finicky eater and I am having a hard time putting any weight on him. The Vet is concerned that he does not have a enough weight on him with the hunting season coming up. They have given him some Science diet treats to add to his food to help with putting weight on him. They also suggested FROMM food. He is currently on Purina pro sport dog food. Has anyone heard of FROMM? Is it any good? Do you think it would help with putting some weight on him?

Thanks

I have a couple GSP's myself and being as active as they are, especially when they're young, it can sometimes be a challenge to keep weight on them.

Questions

Is he tall?

How much are you feeding each day (in terms of 8oz cups) ?

Will he finish everything you put down for him?

I assume you mean Pro Plan, is it the 30/20 formula?

Last edited:
He's not very tall. Very active. I give him about 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. Depends on the day he may eat half in the morning and half at night. Then he may eat nothing in the morning and 4 cups at night. sometimes just a cup all day. Very sporadic. Yep Purina 30/20.. Started to give him a TBSP of Olive oil now.. Anything to get some fat on him before next Saturday :)

4 cups a day is a lot of food, especially a 30/20 formula. I seriously doubt you are under feeding him. One thing I wouldn't do if you are, is leave the food out for him to eat at his leisure. Put it down and if he loses interest before its gone, take it away. He may learn that he must eat it all or it gets taken away.

Everything at the vet checked out ok? no parasites etc??

Aside from trying another brand to see if he likes it better, you could also try adding some warm broth from chicken stock to make it more attractive.

He could just be a late bloomer too. MY 2 year old male is smaller (54 pounds) but very active and he eats 2.5 cups a day of a 30/20 from another brand and he maintains nicely all spring and summer. During Hunting I may bump it up a half a cup per day. But he gobbles everything up when I put it down.

Last edited:
First how are the dogs stools? Are they soft at all? How many stools per day?

Second, is the dog on a monthly heart worm preventative?

Third, I would seek the advise from a second vet.

Fourth I would suggest looking at a quality food such as Dr. Tim's. Dr. Tim's and Eukanuba Performance 30/20 are about the only 2 dog foods I would ever use. Purina just does not offer a quality food anymore. And please don't feed the dog bacon grease.

I wouldn't be worried and I wouldn't try to fatten my dog before hunting season either. He should be in good shape and get in better shape as the season goes on.

If he doesn't have other issues I would simply let him eat his fill at one sitting then take the food away. I would give a few smaller snacks throughout the day, especially when resting periods but nothing large at all. I usually do pheasant hearts that I keep in a bag in my vest.

As to the Fromms question. It is great food and I have used it for years. Never had any recalls in the history of the company and they make a variety of mixes. And as was mentioned before I would also still have him on puppy formula and maybe past 12 months since he's so slim.

Double post

Last edited:
Back