Putting weigth on puppy

:Here is the ingredient list for Eukanuba Performance:

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Source of Vitamin E), Salt, Flax Meal, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

For Pro Plan:

Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Fish Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Animal Digest, Fish Oil, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Garlic Oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

And Dr Timms

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice Flour, Chicken Fat, Oat Flour, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Dried Whole Eggs, Rice Bran, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Ocean Herring Meal, Flax Seed Meal, Catfish Meal, Chicken Liver Meal, Dried Porcine Plasma Protein, Salmon Meal, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Canola Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Chicory Root, Calcium Carbonate, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Organic Kelp Meal, Dried Psyllium Seed Husk, Choline Chloride, Dl-Methionine, L-Lysine, Algae Fat Product (a Source of DHA), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Taurine, Beta Carotene, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Pantothenate, Potassium Iodide (Source of Iodine), Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.

The Eukanuba is garbage. Three of the first four ingredients are poor nutrition, at best, filler at worst (Chicken (good), Corn Meal (bad), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum (bad), Chicken By-Product Meal (bad).

Chicken meal is a great source of protein, but by-product meal is feathers, beaks, etc, again garbage.

The Pro Plan :
Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal,

Same Story, fillers and garbage.

Dr Tim's:

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice Flour, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oat Flour, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Dried Whole Eggs, Rice Bran, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Ocean Herring Meal, Flax Seed Meal, Catfish Meal, Chicken Liver Meal, Dried Porcine Plasma Protein, Salmon Meal.

See how far down the ingredient list you have to go before you even find something you can't pronounce? Even if it has the same "numbers" everyone is so concerned with, this is a much higher quality ration because the protein and fat is highly digestible. I would use this food without hesitation.

I use Taste of The Wild and included it's base ingredient list:

Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Potatoes, Canola Oil, Egg Product, Bison, Roasted Venison, Beef, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Ocean Fish Meal, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract,

You can see that a quality ration has digestible protein and ingredients you can pronounce. My High energy spaniels get run up to 8 miles a day with the dirt bike, depending on how hot it is. They hunt hard and often. I supplement them with my free range eggs and a home-brewed "canned" dog food consisting of ground beef, eggs, green beans, pumpkin and carrots all simmered together, then let it set into a meatloaf type substance and sliced into portions, as they won't eat a dry ration while hunting. My dogs were withering away on Pro Plan until I educated myself on what a good dog food really is. Now my dogs have a better coat, boundless energy and they heal up much faster from a hard days hunt with it's muscle fatigue, and all it's barbed wire cuts, burrs, etc.

I would suggest you try either the Dr Tim's or Taste of The Wild, if you are certain the dog is otherwise healthy, meaning free of parasites, etc as mentioned above. There are likely other good foods out there, but I have found the biggest names supply the worst food. Good Luck

Yep you are right, some of the biggest names produce the worst food, Taste of the Wild. TOTW is made by Diamond, one of the biggest names in the dog food industry and one of the worst. Diamond has had recalls and their food has killed a few dogs. Do your research.

Yep you are right, some of the biggest names produce the worst food, Taste of the Wild. TOTW is made by Diamond, one of the biggest names in the dog food industry and one of the worst. Diamond has had recalls and their food has killed a few dogs. Do your research.

So, do you deny that it is a top-shelf ration? I also suggested another brand, someone can, no doubt find something to bitch about that brand, too. yes, I am aware that TOTW had a recall for possible salmonella in 2013. Do I need to point out the human food companies that have fed you salmonella for years? It has little effect on an otherwise healthy dog.

Care to come show me what's wrong with my dog's health? Or would you rather watch them hunt yours to death?

Last edited:
Whenever we get muddy or otherwise unappealing chicken eggs, I will crack one over each of the dogs' food bowls. It adds good nutrition, not just moisture, and the dogs go crazy for it. Just by swishing the bowl around, it mixes into the food easily and coats the dry biscuits.

On the egg days, I reduce the amount of dry food I give them. If I feed them the regular amount of dry ration and add an egg, they will gain weight quickly.

Undesirable for me, but it might work for you...

So, do you deny that it is a top-shelf ration? I also suggested another brand, someone can, no doubt find something to bitch about that brand, too. yes, I am aware that TOTW had a recall for possible salmonella in 2013. Do I need to point out the human food companies that have fed you salmonella for years? It has little effect on an otherwise healthy dog.

Care to come show me what's wrong with my dog's health? Or would you rather watch them hunt yours to death?

LMAO! No need to have a measuring contest, your dogs are the best! Have a great season!

LMAO! No need to have a measuring contest, your dogs are the best! Have a great season!

No, really, bring them up. We will start with the 8-mile run that my dogs do everyday, at 6000 feet, not in Kansas where you can step up on an anthill and see your house from anywhere in the State. Then if there is anything left we will put them in the field and see what's up. I suspect I know how it would go, in fact, I will put my money where my mouth is. While you just run yours over the internet.

No, really, bring them up. We will start with the 8-mile run that my dogs do everyday, at 6000 feet, not in Kansas where you can step up on an anthill and see your house from anywhere in the State. Then if there is anything left we will put them in the field and see what's up. I suspect I know how it would go, in fact, I will put my money where my mouth is. While you just run yours over the internet.

LMAO! Have a good season!

How could I not. I have two ripped Spaniels, a killer Benelli, a Toyota pickup and a box of shells. Oh ya, and not a flatlander in-sight.

It is common for Benellis to shoot high. Could be why you are getting so many wounded birds.

Or could it be that I try to get them at the end of the gun's range, so they aren't blown apart? Again, I congratulate you on your marksmanship. You do yours, I'll do mine.

Back