Practice

Nick

Now that another season has passed, I am curious to see how many folks get out and practice with clay birds, etc. in the offseason. If you do, how often? I usually don't practice much, but I'm gonna try to do a little more shooting between now and next season. I also usually use dove season as a tune up but we haven't found any good dove spots the last couple of years.

I shot some 5-stand on Saturday with the gun I take West each year. And I'll shoot some skeet with another gun in the late season as a tune-up for grouse season. I try not to embarass my dogs too much.:eek:

NB

Now that another season has passed, I am curious to see how many folks get out and practice with clay birds, etc. in the offseason. If you do, how often? I usually don't practice much, but I'm gonna try to do a little more shooting between now and next season. I also usually use dove season as a tune up but we haven't found any good dove spots the last couple of years.

Never. I don't enjoy shooting that much and it might mess up my bird shooting. But I do like to shoot off my mouth.

Last edited:
I've been known to shoot off a firework or two on the Fourth, and the cannon off the bank at the lakehouse after I've had a few too many, but that's really the only shooting I do off-season.

I'm by no means bragging, by I rarely miss a rooster. If I start missing shots frequently, you'll probably find me at the range, and/or my weapon at the gunsmith. :thumbsup:

Quail, that's a different story all together... :D

Does anyone shoot sporting clays to practice for quail? We have a range in town with several different stations, and several different shot scenarios, but I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Shooting clays or clay games in the offseason is fun and a great way to hone your shotgunning skills for bird hunting

I got hooked shooting Sporting Clays almost 20 years ago. 14 of those years I shot registered NSCA (National Sporting Clays Assoc.) tournaments in and around Minnesota and the Midwest and a few National shoots to boot. The Competition bug bit hard...

Nowadays, I just shoot a Summer Sporting league with some buddies. Good way keep sharp, but the best part is the barbecue afterwards. :cheers:

Last edited:
I've been known to shoot off a firework or two on the Fourth, and the cannon off the bank at the lakehouse after I've had a few too many, but that's really the only shooting I do off-season.

I'm by no means bragging, by I rarely miss a rooster. If I start missing shots frequently, you'll probably find me at the range, and/or my weapon at the gunsmith. :thumbsup:

Quail, that's a different story all together... :D

Does anyone shoot sporting clays to practice for quail? We have a range in town with several different stations, and several different shot scenarios, but I've never tried it.

Hey Wildcat, I've shot in some pretty big tournaments down in Kansas. Are you familiar with Claythorne Lodge in SE Kansas or Ravenwood near Topeka?

Quite the contrary, if you practice from a low gun position, it will most definitely improve your wingshooting skills.

Even if you practice with the gun mounted, it still helps. I shoot in a monthly trap league and get together with friends a couple times each summer to go to Ravenwood or Cokeleys. I think it's fun, but I can definitely get burned out if I do it too often.

Quite the contrary, if you practice from a low gun position, it will most definitely improve your wingshooting skills.

When I shoot clay targets it's with my own thrower. We always shoot from a low gun position and practice different types of shots: low, high, passing, etc. Try to simulate shooting birds as much as possible.

Hey Wildcat, I've shot in some pretty big tournaments down in Kansas. Are you familiar with Claythorne Lodge in SE Kansas or Ravenwood near Topeka?

I shoot at Claythorne maybe once every other month or so during the off season, it was right down the road from my old house, 30 minute drive. Usually do a round of sporting clays and sometimes throw in a round of skeet. Now its closer to an hour or so to get there. Have also shot at Flint Oak near Fall River, Kansas and an impromptu 5-stand shoot at Michael Murphy's near Augusta, as well as some smaller courses around the area. We do a lot of shooting in the back-yard with hand throwers or mechanical throwers. Get out to the sides and work on crossing shots. The only time I ever use a mounted gun is station 8 on the skeet range. Everything else is from a low position, including on the trap range.

30 some years ago I used to shoot skeet, and trap during the off season- then count on 90-200 shells at doves to get me ready

can say- I pull out the upland gun with about as much practice as my Britt's and hit a field opening day with confidence that we might just be on even footing with the birds- they get away- we fail to pin and kill- we have a good time- the birds earn their lives- all works out in the end- mine don't mind if I miss-it doesn't bother me- sort of think it's fitting all things considered- season progresses- we all get a bit wiser- the birds slack off, the dogs slack off, I slack off- someone wins- nobody actually looses

I'm sorry, but I know not of what tournaments you speak of sir.

Sorry , I was speaking of Sporting Clays tournaments. Kansas has quite a few Sporting ranges and many are registered with the NSCA (National Sporting Clays Assoc.) A few of those ranges hold some pretty big tournaments every year, just thought maybe you had heard of those clubs.

Last edited:
Even if you practice with the gun mounted, it still helps. I shoot in a monthly trap league and get together with friends a couple times each summer to go to Ravenwood or Cokeleys. I think it's fun, but I can definitely get burned out if I do it too often.
I've been to Cokeley farms as well, many moons ago. We shot a practice round before a major tournament at Ravenwood. I really like Ken Corbets place at Ravenwood. Nice guy and great course.

Last edited:
I shoot at Claythorne maybe once every other month or so during the off season, it was right down the road from my old house, 30 minute drive. Usually do a round of sporting clays and sometimes throw in a round of skeet. Now its closer to an hour or so to get there. Have also shot at Flint Oak near Fall River, Kansas and an impromptu 5-stand shoot at Michael Murphy's near Augusta, as well as some smaller courses around the area. We do a lot of shooting in the back-yard with hand throwers or mechanical throwers. Get out to the sides and work on crossing shots. The only time I ever use a mounted gun is station 8 on the skeet range. Everything else is from a low position, including on the trap range.

Sometimes finding a piece of land and just mixing it up with a few buddies is more fun than going to a range. Either way it's practice and practice makes perfect.

I really like Ken Corbets place at Ravenwood. Nice guy and great course.

Agreed. I can't say I know him outside of the BSing that goes on at the clubhouse, but he seems to be a pretty good guy. I used to have a membership there when I lived in Topeka, but wow, that's been a long time ago now...

We generally shoot cokeleys most often when we get together nowadays. The price is reduced on Sundays, and it is nice to be able to run your own trap when you bring guys that don't have much shooting experience. Then they can get all report pairs instead of true pairs so they have a little more time. When we bring along a new shooter we try to make it easier on him so he has some success.:thumbsup:

I wish there was a clays course in the Manhattan/Wamego area. If anybody reading this was thinking of starting one, I would buy a membership.:D

Back