Possession Limit

I promise I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this is a topic that matters to a lot of hunters. Why is it that we'd never consider going over the daily bag limit, but for some reason don't put the same care into the possession limit?

I shoot a lot of birds. Fortunately, my wife has a license as well and with the amount of pheasant we eat, I would be surprised if I ever had more than the 30 birds in the freezer that the law allows, but I rarely put consideration into it. Not like I do if I've got three birds in the vest.

While I enjoy the dialogue here, it's important to not take it too seriously. I don't concern myself what random guys on a forum think of me and you shouldn't care what I think about you. Doesn't mean we can't have valuable conversations, joke around and question one another. But at the end of the day, you can can me an egg sucking dog and I really don't care. ;)

Last edited:
I promise I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this is a topic that matters to a lot of hunters. Why is it that we'd never consider going over the daily bag limit, but for some reason don't put the same care into the possession limit?

I shoot a lot of birds. Fortunately, my wife has a license as well and with the amount of pheasant we eat, I would be surprised if I ever had more than the 30 birds in the freezer that the law allows, but I rarely put consideration into it. Not like I do if I've got three birds in the vest.

While I enjoy the dialogue here, it's important to not take it too seriously. I don't concern myself what random guys on a forum think of me and you shouldn't care what I think about you. Doesn't mean we can't have valuable conversations, joke around and question one another. But at the end of the day, you can can me an egg sucking dog and I really don't care. ;)
My wife has a license also, but does it really count? I haven't gifted any too her and she didn't shoot them. I'm not that big a poultry fan I'd rather eat beef, a lot of birds end up at someone elses house at the end of the day. Not that possession limit is that big a problem, I am lucky if I shoot 25 or 30 birds a year in kansas. I saved 10 or 12 training birds this last year for a pup I was getting in the spring and have a couple bags of breasts still in the freezer so actually may be over but I'm not going to pull them out thaw them and count them. If they are not eaten by nov 15 I seriously doubt I stay home.

My wife has a license also, but does it really count?
So if your wife buys the groceries, you personally don't have food in your house? ;)

If your wife resides in the same domicile as you and is licensed, then the freezer (if shared) can contain a possession limit worth of pheasants for her license.

Well said.No need to get angry.Everybody on here loves to pheasant hunt.

First you guys run off Uguide for having a different opinion on drought than the popular view than you have the nerve to call benelli banger a poacher. Shame on you. You run off members that bring the best info to the forum. Undoubtedly you would never say these things face to face you cowards

First you guys run off Uguide for having a different opinion on drought than the popular view than you have the nerve to call benelli banger a poacher. Shame on you. You run off members that bring the best info to the forum. Undoubtedly you would never say these things face to face you cowards
When someone openly admits to not giving a shit about having birds over the possession limit and they openly tell everyone they have a crap load of birds at their house every season and the openly indicate they don't care about getting caught...ya I'll call that what it is. And to be clear, if I encountered someone like this in the field, I'd tell it to their face too. Luckily, I don't know anyone like that but if I did I'd report them in a second.

When someone openly admits to not giving a shit about having birds over the possession limit and they openly tell everyone they have a crap load of birds at their house every season and the openly indicate they don't care about getting caught...ya I'll call that what it is. And to be clear, if I encountered someone like this in the field, I'd tell it to their face too. Luckily, I don't know anyone like that but if I did I'd report them in a second.

Ok holy man. I suggest you keep your negative opinions about our members to yourself. This forum is for information and camaraderie. People like you ruin great forums

That’s not what I said, if you’re referring to me. I merely said the idea of having a warden randomly show up at my home to inspect my freezer wasn’t something that I lay awake and worry about, like some people might regarding an IRS audit, for example. I never admitted to being over the limit, because I’m not, despite hunting a lot. Frankly, I simply think that the topic, and the collective energy of this board, gets severely off track to the point that it’s a fucking joke and a waste of time. “Openly indicating that they don’t care about getting caught” isn’t the same as not being concerned if a warden did or didn’t show up, as I have nothing to be concerned about. And if I want to breast my birds and package them in such a way that they’re tightly rolled up in a freezer ziplock and resemble a pork tenderloin, that’s just how it ends up looking, it’s a way I’ve been doing it for 20 years or more…works great for me and those I gift them to. There’s no law against hunting multiple states, shooting alot of birds, eating a lot of birds, gifting a lot of birds, preparing a lot of birds and serving them to my staff, friends, clients, etc. It’s evident that some gross misinterpretations have occurred, which doesn’t shock me at all, I’d fully expect it after participating in this forum now for over 15 years…I’ve seen the devolution of this group, and it’s why I am anxious to exit this place. I’m not leaving over this particular thread, this thread is a symptom of what’s wrong with this place! Try this on Upland Journal…it would last for 12 hours and the thread would be locked, and several members would be barred. There are some good members here, but way too much bullshit for me, personally. Carry on and have a good hunting season.

Last edited:
I hunt a lot, because I choose to, and I can; I shoot a lot of birds because I hunt 50 days or more per year, it’s not because I am an overzealous killer. I prepare a lot of my birds for my coworkers, my mechanic and his crew, clients, friends, etc, and I eat a lot of my birds, too. I give cleaned birds to several clients, family, and friends. I don’t think I’m ever over my possession limit at my house, but frankly, it’s low on my list of things to worry about. Drinking and driving? Yup, make sure I don’t do it. Take my meds religiously? For sure. Max out my retirement contributions, and monitor my asset mix? Yes. Stay in touch with my elderly parents, and help them with what I can? Of course. Stress out over if I have too many pheasants in my home freezer, while having licenses from 4 states, which creates a math conundrum that I’m indifferent about, to be honest? No. Never have, never will. If wardens were routinely knocking on doors, maybe, but I don’t believe I’m ever over in the first place, as I enjoy the sharing of my bounty. To each his own, stress out over what you will, I guess.
This is what I said…Not sure I’ve ever admitted to any crimes!😜 I just returned from 12 days of hunting in MT and ND, and I’m cleaning sharptail as we speak and preparing some to eat, as well as gifting some to a chef here in Duluth who loves it. I do this exact thing each return trip from ND and SD pheasant trips. I go through my birds quickly, I’m generous with them, and I’m generous in nature. I am generous with hunting spots, too, I enjoy helping people and making them happy. But, some people are beyond that, they’re miserable no matter what, it seems…😝 So I’ll add this, as I didn’t realize I was ever being indicted, deposed, cross-examined, etc…thought I was chatting with some fellow hunters; I don’t worry, because I can produce licenses from SD, ND, MN, MT, and could show credit card receipts from game farm hunts as well; and, I can print my credit card activity that would corroborate my travels with my license dates, locations, etc; I don’t know what the law says I can possess as a MN resident armed with the aforementioned licenses and game farm receipts, when I am at my home. I would never even get close to that #, no matter what that # is! If I was checked and theoretically had 25 birds, I’d be shocked if I’d be in trouble for that, knowing SD and ND alone allow 27 birds between those states alone, but I doubt I’m ever that high. The important thing, to me, as it relates to ethics, is that I can feel good about knowing my gun/choke/shot choices, shot selection, dog power, commitment to retrieving cripples—including birds lost by other hunters in my gang—choosing to shut down a hunt on a given day if conditions are prone to causing dogs to catch hens, etc, etc. I can’t, and don’t care to, declare that someone else is or isn’t an ethical hunter…we each have to make peace with ourselves and the great spirit as it relates to that, if we’re so inclined. And, I would suggest that legal and ethical can mean the same thing, but that there can be situations where they’re not one and the same.

Last edited:
That’s not what I said, if you’re referring to me. I merely said the idea of having a warden randomly show up at my home to inspect my freezer wasn’t something that I lay awake and worry about, like some people might regarding an IRS audit, for example. I never admitted to being over the limit, because I’m not, despite hunting a lot. Frankly, I simply think that the topic, and the collective energy of this board, gets severely off track to the point that it’s a fucking joke and a waste of time. “Openly indicating that they don’t care about getting caught” isn’t the same as not being concerned if a warden did or didn’t show up, as I have nothing to be concerned about. And if I want to breast my birds and package them in such a way that they’re tightly rolled up in a freezer ziplock and resemble a pork tenderloin, that’s just how it ends up looking, it’s a way I’ve been doing it for 20 years or more…works great for me and those I gift them to. There’s no law against hunting multiple states, shooting alot of birds, eating a lot of birds, gifting a lot of birds, preparing a lot of birds and serving them to my staff, friends, clients, etc. It’s evident that some gross misinterpretations have occurred, which doesn’t shock me at all, I’d fully expect it after participating in this forum now for over 15 years…I’ve seen the devolution of this group, and it’s why I am anxious to exit this place. I’m not leaving over this particular thread, this thread is a symptom of what’s wrong with this place! Try this on Upland Journal…it would last for 12 hours and the thread would be locked, and several members would be barred. There are some good members here, but way too much bullshit for me, personally. Carry on and have a good hunting season.
Don't leave because of this.I agree with you.Nobody thinks about it.

I don’t believe most C. O. are going to be too concerned about someone who has a limit or a few over in their freezer for personal use.
HOWEVER—if you have people bragging/boasting about taking the numbers you describe—I can just about guarantee they are going to draw the attention of any C.O. that is doing their job.
We also have to remember a lot of those numbers could be taken on the internet—not in the actual field!!
Like the loud mouth in the bar who—takes a his deer running at 400 hundred yards running -head shots only “Wid my old turrdy-turrdy-that has shot so many deer the barrel had to be replaced twice”
That's true.Ive hunted with guys who were supposed to be great hunters, and they got skunked. I administered the proverbial ass kicking.

Ok holy man. I suggest you keep your negative opinions about our members to yourself. This forum is for information and camaraderie. People like you ruin great forums

I have commented on this forum for years and all of the sudden I'm ruining the forum because I'm not afraid to comment about people not abiding by the law or not caring how many birds they have in their freezer. I suggest you ignore my posts if you can't handle them chipper.

The whole point of this thread was that there is a possession limit in some states and there isn't in others. If you hunt multiple states, you need to keep track of which birds come from which state and label them. Whether or not you think you will get caught is not the reason you should or shouldn't be doing it. A lot of people posted that they do this maticulously and that is how it should be done. I could store 4 dead bodies in my freezer but if I don't think I'm going to get caught, it doesn't matter, right? That line of thinking is not only illegal, but very unethical too. That's all I'm saying here. I enforce federal law for a living so I'm certainly going to abide by the game laws myself and I'll be anal about it too.

So if your wife buys the groceries, you personally don't have food in your house? ;)

If your wife resides in the same domicile as you and is licensed, then the freezer (if shared) can contain a possession limit worth of pheasants for her license.
So for a moment pretend this was a party hunting discussion, what would your position be on shooting your wife’s limit.
Bad example let’s pretend it was someone of equal skill .

Last edited:
I have commented on this forum for years and all of the sudden I'm ruining the forum because I'm not afraid to comment about people not abiding by the law or not caring how many birds they have in their freezer. I suggest you ignore my posts if you can't handle them chipper.

The whole point of this thread was that there is a possession limit in some states and there isn't in others. If you hunt multiple states, you need to keep track of which birds come from which state and label them. Whether or not you think you will get caught is not the reason you should or shouldn't be doing it. A lot of people posted that they do this maticulously and that is how it should be done. I could store 4 dead bodies in my freezer but if I don't think I'm going to get caught, it doesn't matter, right? That line of thinking is not only illegal, but very unethical too. That's all I'm saying here. I enforce federal law for a living so I'm certainly going to abide by the game laws myself and I'll be anal about it too.
hang in there with your convictions—I’ve read noting you have posted that anyone should be so upset with. Your opinions versus someone else’s.

First I am pretty sure my posts on this thread have not offended anyone because I have remained mostly neutral and not attact anyone's actual postions. Postings have largely been antidotal on how some others (including land owners) may view this topic and / or posting clips from G&F websites to help provide actual answers.

That said, Chip ... meet mirror. Meet pot and kettle.:unsure:;):unsure:

1632327976230.png1632328235198.png

Not sure why Uguide left ... don't remember any heated posts ... that said Uguide probably quit participating in part because he realized this forum was not garning much if any new business.

Back