Possession Limit

Because I'm the kind of guy who is curious for the actual answer, not my own interpretation, (although they are ALWAYS one and the same, lol) I contacted a friend of mine with the South Dakota GF&P.

The word he emphasized was "processed". So a pheasant that is mounted has been processed and would not count in one's possession limit. Likewise, if you made up a batch of pheasant jerky, those birds are no longer in your possession limit. A pheasant breast in your freezer awaiting cooking is part of your possession limit. And, lastly and probably the most noteworthy, is that the possession limit applies to the current licensed year. Basically, come October 9th, my possession limit restarts.

This was from a Facebook Messenger conversation. It isn't gospel or law, it's a friend of mine whose more than a janitor for the GFP giving me his understanding. Hope that helps.

Where did you get this information? And it may vary by state. But in most states if it's in your possession it must be identifiable.
Page 41 in the SD Hunting Handbook under Species Identification requirement for the migratory birds covers the waterfowl. And of note these are the federal regs and not specific to SD. And Page 43 specifies all other game birds including pheasants. Species Id is required unless its at your home or abode. Your home does not include your second home in Helca SD or your hotel room. Its your home of where your residency lies.

Again in SD ...

If I read this right ... once you are at home (domicile) you can process the game ... breast out, etc...

1632151398127.png

Because I'm the kind of guy who is curious for the actual answer, not my own interpretation, (although they are ALWAYS one and the same, lol) I contacted a friend of mine with the South Dakota GF&P.

The word he emphasized was "processed". So a pheasant that is mounted has been processed and would not count in one's possession limit. Likewise, if you made up a batch of pheasant jerky, those birds are no longer in your possession limit. A pheasant breast in your freezer awaiting cooking is part of your possession limit. And, lastly and probably the most noteworthy, is that the possession limit applies to the current licensed year. Basically, come October 9th, my possession limit restarts.

This was from a Facebook Messenger conversation. It isn't gospel or law, it's a friend of mine whose more than a janitor for the GFP giving me his understanding. Hope that helps.
Be careful with this interpretation. Under federal law any migratory bird in any form including jerky counts towards your possession. Its not out of your possession unless its gifted or consumed. State regulated birds such as pheasants could be different that the feds.

Page 41 deals with migratory game birds. I see nothing on page 43 that says species ID is not required if it's at your home. In fact under Possession Limit it specifically states "in your home freezer".

Not sure who you talked to but your pheasants from last year count towards your possession for this year. See page 44 upper left hand corner of hand book.

Page 41 deals with migratory game birds. I see nothing on page 43 that says species ID is not required if it's at your home. In fact under Possession Limit it specifically states "in your home freezer".
Your reading it wrong. And trust me its easy too. Check your pm.

Remember, I’m a well-known, long-standing poacher….do you all really give a f*** once it’s in your freezer? Guess many of you do. Congrats. When I hear wardens are spending their time doing this, not afield doing their job, then I’ll rejoin this nonsense. Returning from 12 days of prairie hunting, great time, probably illegal as I travel back from 2 states.1632155157668.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, I’m a well-known, long-standing poacher….do you all really give a fuck once it’s in your freezer? Guess many of you do. Congrats. When I hear wardens are spending their time doing this, not afield doing their job, then I’ll rejoin this nonsense. Returning from 12 days of prairie hunting, great time, probably illegal as I travel back from 2 states.
1632155371685.png

I'm the OP and this thread has gotten out of control. I would like that you all just forget it, it's going in the wrong direction. And if there is a moderator out there I would request that the thread be deleted. Let's move on.

I’ve asked the moderator to delete the benelli-banger handle here, I’m done here. Haven’t heard back yet, hope to soon. I’ll be active elsewhere. Best of luck to you all this season.

You can process them at your domicile. Agree it is not clearly written ... dang lawyers as such... but read it a few times ... processor (you) at your domicile (home) ...

1632158034498.png

I’ve asked the moderator to delete the benelli-banger handle here, I’m done here. Haven’t heard back yet, hope to soon. I’ll be active elsewhere. Best of luck to you all this season.

This is a shared forum where most people do not even use their own names. If so inclined ... walk away for awhile or even longer. Many regular posters have chosen such a path ... have a nice season....

If you want to stock pile your freezer with pheasants, fish, etc, you do it at your own risk. The day you buy a hunting or angling license is the day you agree to voluntarily follow the laws associated with it, including possession limits. If I knew someone was over the possession limit I would not hesitate to turn them in even if it was a friend or family member, although I might verbally have a word with them before I did it.

We all know that enforcement is lacking because there aren't enough officers to do it. I've never run into one hunting or fishing in Minnesota for 25 years. Just because the chances of getting caught are remote doesn't mean I don't follow the game and fish laws. Its about morals and ethics too. I value the opportunity to hunt and fish every year here for a reasonable cost and that privilege is not worth risking.

Specifically speaking of pheasants, the possession limit here in Minnesota is 3 times the daily bag limit just like it is in Iowa. That means if I have 6 in my freezer already, I cannot hunt again until I consume some or give a few away.
What

Back