Pheasant hunter kills charging grizzly bear

Floyd

There are a couple areas here in Montana where grizzly habitat overlaps pheasant country(Mission Valley and Rocky Mountain Front). Since both like thick cover, there are occasional hunter-bear incidents.

www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20091014/NEWS01/910140301

www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/NEWS01/10170303/1002

This year there were grizzlies as far east as Loma and Simms. Loma is 177 miles to the east of the mountains. Several years ago I saw one in the CRP field I was in at 150 yards. Not a tree for miles. Remember the griz was originally a plains animal.

I always carry bear spray and rifled slugs and avoid certain types of cover. I'm leaving the spray and slugs at home when I come out to SD in November.

I see you are a newbie Floyd, Welcome to UPH. Interesting about the bears, we all hope we never to see one of them while hunting birds......Bob

What a bunch of crap the judge spewed. Now that they ate all the elk they are eating trees that do not exist because of global warming????? In the meantime they have increased threefold.
I want to have a reasonable amount of griz around just to send a chill up my back if I think there could be one around, but between the wolves, cougars and griz there will be nothing with horns left.
I wish the tree hugging global warming enthusiasts would spend more than a few fleeting moments watching PBS or going thru a park in the summer and spend a year in the environment enjoying the cold wet weather we have been experiencing in the Great Plains for the last two years. We don't really bitch about it out here, just understand the cycle and understand we as humans do not have control over it nor contribute to the cycle beyond living and dying.
________
Rsov

Last edited:
I wish the tree hugging global warming enthusiasts would spend more than a few fleeting moments watching PBS or going thru a park in the summer and spend a year in the environment enjoying the cold wet weather we have been experiencing in the Great Plains for the last two years. We don't really bitch about it out here, just understand the cycle and understand we as humans do not have control over it nor contribute to the cycle beyond living and dying.

Global Warming... the great hoax/political adjenda BS. What a load of crap.

Uncle Buck, you can only imagine how much crap I get from the tree huggers for www.ultimateprairiedoghunting.com "Poor animals. What did they do to deserve it." Sad thing is hunters/shooters don't even put a dent in the population. Don't move to colorado... they protect those damn rats.

What a bunch of crap the judge spewed. Now that they ate all the elk they are eating trees that do not exist because of global warming????? In the meantime they have increased threefold.
I want to have a reasonable amount of griz around just to send a chill up my back if I think there could be one around, but between the wolves, cougars and griz there will be nothing with horns left.

Great post Floyd thanks.

I don't want to steal the post Floyd made but very well said Uncle Buck. More and more people are getting detatched from wildlife and nature and the more they do' the more tree huggers, animal rights people there will be.
And the more radical they will become.

The shooting is the easy part, most have a problem shutting up. A couple of beers and they want to start bragging.

Folks are totally missing the point of the post. It was intended as a safety awareness message. The fact is that in Montana, bears are present not just in the mountains but in agricultural areas as well. The two areas this applies to are the Mission Valley south of Flathead Lake and the area west of the Missouri River to the mountains, north of Great Falls to the border with Canada

While Montana is not a pheasant hunting mecca, it does get some use from out of state hunters, especially Washington. If you are from Georgia or Washington or wherever, and choose to hunt in the two areas listed above, you should know about the area you are hunting and adjust accordingly. Specifically, carry defensive tools like spray and slugs and stay out of the really thick, overgrown areas until it has been cold for awhile.

They say you can identify Grizzly scat because it smells like pepper spray.

If this guy killed a Grizzly with bird shot, he's a lucky man indeed.

Rangers in Alaska think 12 ga slugs are the best Grizzly medicine.

They say you can identify Grizzly scat because it smells like pepper spray.

If this guy killed a Grizzly with bird shot, he's a lucky man indeed.

Rangers in Alaska think 12 ga slugs are the best Grizzly medicine.
Jnorm... They say you can identify Grizzly scat by the little bells in it too. :D

But kidding aside, let's say you're a non-resident hunter holding only a small game license and a pheasant stamp and you're bird hunting in Grizzly country. Do you carry 12-gauge slugs? And if you do, what are the chances a ranger would overlook the fact that you're carrying big-game ammo without a big-game license? I doubt in most cases, if a guy surprises a Grizzly or gets between a sow and her cubs, he's gonna have time to eject his bird shot and load a couple slugs but if I were bird hunting in Grizzly country, I'd feel a little better about the situation knowing those slugs are there.

Jnorm... They say you can identify Grizzly scat by the little bells in it too. :D

But kidding aside, let's say you're a non-resident hunter holding only a small game license and a pheasant stamp and you're bird hunting in Grizzly country. Do you carry 12-gauge slugs? And if you do, what are the chances a ranger would overlook the fact that you're carrying big-game ammo without a big-game license? I doubt in most cases, if a guy surprises a Grizzly or gets between a sow and her cubs, he's gonna have time to eject his bird shot and load a couple slugs but if I were bird hunting in Grizzly country, I'd feel a little better about the situation knowing those slugs are there.

I don't know about the game warden, but last year I went, alone, up into the NW corner of SC looking for Ruffies. Rough country, and home to many Black Bears, which are said to be more aggressive than Grizzlies. I was carrying a 20 ga loaded with 7.5s, but I also had some 3", #2 Buck in an outside pocket.

I had read a few days before that 42 bears had been shot in that county last year, so they really are there.

Fortunately I saw no sign of bears...didn't see any Ruffies either.

Could I have reloaded fast enough if need be? Maybe, if I didn't stop to wet myself first.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just state facts.
The situation that we have created here on Earth has created not only warming trends but also cooling trends, hence the terminology climate "change." Simply put, it is not a hoax and it is time that conservationists unite to help reduce our CO2 emission worldwide. Our dilemma is no longer at question nor is it one of political debate. We need to take action as hunters because the natural resources that we so greatly cherish are being affected.
Read Below please.

Sportsman Virtual Town Hall Draws Thousands

When the great-grandson of a former president and a respected former senator get together for a talk with a few thousand concerned citizens, people pay attention.

More than 13,000 hunters and anglers joined a national teleconference - a virtual town hall meeting dedicated to the discussion of global warming's effects on wildlife and the need for legislation to curb carbon pollution and safeguard natural resources.

The call was co-hosted by the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, and American Hunters and Shooters, and included Ted Roosevelt IV, a noted conservationist, and former Sen. John Warner (R-VA).

The call generated "an unheard-of outpouring of interest and support from sportsmen and women for clean energy solutions to climate change," said Jim Lyon, National Wildlife Federation vice president for Conservation Policy, who moderated the event. "No collection of people has a better understanding of the impacts of climate change we are seeing and for the need to act."

Indeed, the teleconference represented the latest stage of a vocal movement by American sportsmen to move the issue of global warming to the fore. A recent NWF poll of hunters and anglers found that 66 percent of respondents believed the effects of global warming are already occurring, and many concerned sportsmen have taken to the nation's capital in recent months to lobby the U.S. Senate for comprehensive climate and energy legislation that would help protect the habitats and species they cherish.

"It's very important in my opinion that we do pass the climate change bill," said Roosevelt IV.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just state facts.
The situation that we have created here on Earth has created not only warming trends but also cooling trends, hence the terminology climate "change." Simply put, it is not a hoax and it is time that conservationists unite to help reduce our CO2 emission worldwide. Our dilemma is no longer at question nor is it one of political debate. We need to take action as hunters because the natural resources that we so greatly cherish are being affected.
Read Below please.

Sportsman Virtual Town Hall Draws Thousands

When the great-grandson of a former president and a respected former senator get together for a talk with a few thousand concerned citizens, people pay attention.

More than 13,000 hunters and anglers joined a national teleconference - a virtual town hall meeting dedicated to the discussion of global warming's effects on wildlife and the need for legislation to curb carbon pollution and safeguard natural resources.

The call was co-hosted by the National Wildlife Federation Action Fund, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, and American Hunters and Shooters, and included Ted Roosevelt IV, a noted conservationist, and former Sen. John Warner (R-VA).

The call generated "an unheard-of outpouring of interest and support from sportsmen and women for clean energy solutions to climate change," said Jim Lyon, National Wildlife Federation vice president for Conservation Policy, who moderated the event. "No collection of people has a better understanding of the impacts of climate change we are seeing and for the need to act." Where are the facts to support this statement
Indeed, the teleconference represented the latest stage of a vocal movement by American sportsmen to move the issue of global warming to the fore. A recent NWF poll of hunters and anglers found that 66 percent of respondents believed the effects of global warming are already occurring, and many concerned sportsmen have taken to the nation's capital in recent months to lobby the U.S. Senate for comprehensive climate and energy legislation that would help protect the habitats and species they cherish.

"It's very important in my opinion that we do pass the climate change bill," said Roosevelt IV. Again an opinion no facts

Too late you have "picked" a fight. If we did not have climate change glaciers would still cover significant landscape and non of us would probably exist. Civilizations have lived off the water of melting glaciers for thousands of years. Now that's a fact Jack. What people "believe" is not a fact.

There is no need to take personal offense to my posts. I am sorry if somehow I offended you. Again, NOT trying to upset you.

You are correct that humans have been living off of melting glaciers and it would be nice if that was all that mattered. What we have not been doing for thousands of years, however, is spewing tons of Greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Only since the Industrial Revolution have we (remember, other nations with exploding populations like China, India, and Brazil are still industrializing at this point) been burning carbon. It is no longer debatable that our world population has not had any anthropogenic contribution to environmental degradation because of Greenhouse gas emissions, namely CO2.

If you would like to discuss facts, I have a few for you, JACK!

Perhaps you have heard of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol? http://unfccc.int/press/fact_sheets/items/4987.php

As a skeptic myself, I find hard science to be the only proof. Click the link below for some raw facts.
http://unfccc.int/press/fact_sheets/items/4987.php
Remember, this is not some â??tree-huggingâ?� group, it is the United Nations. The same one that dictates much of our global interactions.

We are the only nation that has not ratified this agreement (lots of factors why) but in Copenhagen 12/09 we will finally ratify it. This means that EVERY nation in the WORLD has agreed that humans are causing climate change. This is not some money making scheme, although cap and trade certainly uses economics as means to an end, it is an attempt to change our collective behavior as polluters.

If choosing to remain in the dwindling minority is your prerogative, understand that it is coming at the expense of future generations of pheasant hunters. Only through education will people begin to understand what we are doing to our Earth. Educate, educate, educate.

Folks are totally missing the point of the post. It was intended as a safety awareness message. The fact is that in Montana, bears are present not just in the mountains but in agricultural areas as well. The two areas this applies to are the Mission Valley south of Flathead Lake and the area west of the Missouri River to the mountains, north of Great Falls to the border with Canada

While Montana is not a pheasant hunting mecca, it does get some use from out of state hunters, especially Washington. If you are from Georgia or Washington or wherever, and choose to hunt in the two areas listed above, you should know about the area you are hunting and adjust accordingly. Specifically, carry defensive tools like spray and slugs and stay out of the really thick, overgrown areas until it has been cold for awhile.

Didn't miss your point. Just got my hair up.
________
Maine marijuana dispensaries

Last edited:
There is no need to take personal offense to my posts. I am sorry if somehow I offended you. Again, NOT trying to upset you.

You are correct that humans have been living off of melting glaciers and it would be nice if that was all that mattered. What we have not been doing for thousands of years, however, is spewing tons of Greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Only since the Industrial Revolution have we (remember, other nations with exploding populations like China, India, and Brazil are still industrializing at this point) been burning carbon. It is no longer debatable that our world population has not had any anthropogenic contribution to environmental degradation because of Greenhouse gas emissions, namely CO2.

If you would like to discuss facts, I have a few for you, JACK!

Perhaps you have heard of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol? http://unfccc.int/press/fact_sheets/items/4987.php

As a skeptic myself, I find hard science to be the only proof. Click the link below for some raw facts.
http://unfccc.int/press/fact_sheets/items/4987.php
Remember, this is not some â??tree-huggingâ?� group, it is the United Nations. The same one that dictates much of our global interactions.

We are the only nation that has not ratified this agreement (lots of factors why) but in Copenhagen 12/09 we will finally ratify it. This means that EVERY nation in the WORLD has agreed that humans are causing climate change. This is not some money making scheme, although cap and trade certainly uses economics as means to an end, it is an attempt to change our collective behavior as polluters.

If choosing to remain in the dwindling minority is your prerogative, understand that it is coming at the expense of future generations of pheasant hunters. Only through education will people begin to understand what we are doing to our Earth. Educate, educate, educate.

I for one, and for the record, completely agree with you. LM

I've learned to stay away from threads like this, but I can't help myself. I don't believe that global warming is a hoax. Americans don't want to change the way they live and let's face it, if we really focused our efforts on reducing greenhouse gases, our standard of living would change. I'm doing my part by limiting the amount of greenhouse gases my family and I contribute. I live in a town that I don't even like, only because I work in that town. We keep the lights off when possible, wear sweaters and long johns in the house, and spend the hot summer afternoons in the shade (God's form of AC). I'm also a plant engineer in a manufacturing facility. The corporation I work for has invested a great deal of money in sustainability/greenhouse gas reduction initiatives for several years now and it is paying great dividends. It sure is nice being ahead of the curve. Global warming is no hoax. We cannot continue to live without regard for our planet or it will cause future generations problems. Winchester21, I couldn't agree more......keep fighting the good fight. I'll try to refrain from checking in on the bashing posts that are coming our way.

You are correct that humans have been living off of melting glaciers If choosing to remain in the dwindling minority is your prerogative, understand that it is coming at the expense of future generations of pheasant hunters. Only through education will people begin to understand what we are doing to our Earth. Educate, educate, educate.

1. No offense taken from post.
2. Not offended or upset.
3. I did not say or state I was in disagreement, only trying to make a point to keep things to the facts on this subject and not draw conclusions based on "opinions" or what people "believe."

I would suggest instead of hijacking this topic we take it to a new topic. I welcome the discussion and as most of all of us on this site want to preserve the environment as long as possible.

I've learned to stay away from threads like this, but I can't help myself. I don't believe that global warming is a hoax.

Most importantly, the real experts, scientists without political agendas, like the NOAA, can state with certainty that human caused global warming is real. They have the experts, they have the knowledge, they have the facts.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html#q1

Contrary opinions belong to the uneducated or the intentionally blind.

They aren't Al Gore. They aren't Fox News either.

I would suggest instead of hijacking this topic we take it to a new topic. I welcome the discussion and as most of all of us on this site want to preserve the environment as long as possible.

I agree. Does a moderator need to help with that? This is a very important subject and it deserves as much visibility as possible.

Back