Our dying small towns and rural communities

onpoint

I have pondered this thought because I have drove though the town where my children went to school all their young life but still 13 years a piece. In the last few years, the grocery store has closed, the drug store has closed. the Napa auto parts store has closed. The Ski-doo dealer has closed, the Arctic Cat dealer has closed, the Polaris dealer has closed. the video store has closed. They are contemplating closing the school(which was expanded not so many years ago. The homec Dpt which was all brand new with multiple new stoves/oven's, sewing machines, Etc. never opened and has sat idle since it was finished, as there was no funding to afford a teacher. My neighbors are all in their 70's and 80's. We have lost several just this summer. Scary to say the least. What will happen to our rural communities and their people?

http://www.mn2020.org/issues-that-matter/views/tuesday-talk-why-are-small-towns-dying

This is a quote from a poster on this very subject.

I grew up in rural America 50 years ago and saw the technology and economic changes that unraveled the lifestyle of post WWII rural life. Bigger machinery required fewer workers. Debt became required to afford the machinery as each year the pressure was on to expand, buy out the neighbors, have more land to pay for the machinery.

Small towns lost their purpose with the changing economic reality. Those changes made public education the key to college and a job in the city. This has been a 60 or more year trend which continues.

I remember a definition from sociology I learned long ago. “A town or city is a geographical expression of an economic reality.” Until the economic reality changes to draw people out to rural areas of the state, there will be little opportunity to grow communities.

Meanwhile, I sit nostalgic with memories of life on the farm as a child 60 years ago as I live in a condo, owning 1/4 of a quad housing structure. I live in a formerly small town transformed into an outer ring suburb because my car and the public roads take me to work in Minneapolis where there still is a job. I get a piece of paper every two weeks with numbers on it that says it is money. I never really see the money, only the promise that is exists.

That’s all I have in this world: A small place to live, a car and numbers in an electronic bank account. I own no land on which to grow food like I once helped provide, there is no place to grow a garden. I can drive on public roads to visit other people’s businesses and use the magic card I have from the bank to buy food I eat or clothes to wear. I have another account with numbers in it that says I have some money to use when I quit working. But those numbers are very changeable lately, and much smaller than I need as I imagine life retired. So this is the life I got by getting an education and leaving the farm.

When I return to the place of my youth, change has wiped away the farmstead. The rural neighborhood where I lived is vacant of small farms and people. My memories are all that remain. And those who still live around in the neighboring small town seem sad to me. And I’m sad too.

What have we all become? Are we really leaving the world better than we found it? And what future do our grand children have in this fickle world of economic promises unkept in the land of empty shells of buildings reminding us of once vital rural geographical expressions now in economic and social decline?

Rural kids will keep on leaving unless there is an economic reason to keep them there. I hope there is. Somebody has to grow food, milk cows, raise chicken, turkeys and hogs. And maybe some day a person can do that while getting that piece of paper with a number on it that says there’s enough money in the bank.

It’s amazing how the numbers on electronic bank statements are more important than the corn in the field and the cows in the barn. I wonder who makes those numbers up?

Another great post Sir:10sign: I think about this sort of stuff all the time. The small town I grew up in is dying, just like the one a few miles down the road did while I was growing up. Personal experience is all I have to share on this subject. I don't know what, if anything is ever going to slow/change this trend:(

Very sad state of affairs. I've watched this happen in Nebraka and other states. Very hard to watch this happen to a town you lived in.:(

Same story different town. Wish I had an answer. You think poeple would get tired of traffic jams,crime and all that other stuff.

I have thought of this very thing many times myself. I would love to m ove to the country and. Have my children grow up there. How do I do it? What do I do for money? That is what I haven't figured out yet.

It seems that it would be extremely hard to just get into farming. I would love it (I think) but don't know all of the details that are a part of it. It seems that it would be far too expensive to start from scratch.

I guess the north Dakota oil boom is building some small towns back up out that way.

Interesting post.

I've got the exact opposite problem living within an hour of a few urban areas. It used to be country living, but lands just keep getting sub-divided, cleared, and turned into mass housing projects with "country living" on 1/4-1/2 acre lots full of urban idiots. :rolleyes:

Reading this set of posts truely makes me realize how lucky I am to have come into farm land ownership at this late stage of my life. I'm in awe of how my wife and her mother worked to save the family farm against all odds
I am truely blessed:)

I am a simple guy, you know, and I enjoy my simple life.

I am out in the sticks where urban sprawl will not reach me.

Last edited:
1GB the same thing is happening where I live. There used to be 4 houses between town and where I live and now there are 12.This happened in a 3 yr. span.

Scandia, Kansas then: It was the 50s and I was in grade school. There were three gas stations; a general store; a beer joint/pool hall; a dentist; a doctor; a barbershop and several beauty shops; two restaurants on main street and one at the truck stop on the highway; an "Indian trading post" and a park with three buffalo next door; a liquor store and mixer shop; a school house for K-12; a Missouri Pacific rail spur; the Rock Island railroad with a passenger depot 9 miles east in Belleville; a lumber yard; a grain elevator; a drug store with a soda fountain and grill; a coin laundry; a clothing store; an auto mechanic shop. On Saturday night the main street was packed with people, farmers, ranchers, and kids of all ages with teen boys cruising up and down Main in their cars.

Scandia now: No store, one gas station/C store on the highway, one restaurant, a lumber yard, a new school K-12, a mini rail line, two "antique" stores, and a law office. Saturday night is as dead and quiet as any other night.

Last edited:
These are excellent posts, but this is a really sad situation. My wife and I noticed this about the small towns in Kansas we rode through last year. It seemed there were no young people to be seen and the populations were ageing. We live in a subdivision and started building our house in October of 1995 and moved in in late Feb of 1996. The forest, that was behind our property when we started our house, had 136 homes built before we moved in! The lots are small and there would be no room to have a garden at all. I have an acre but I could not feed us off of it though I do plant a garden and my wife cans beans and tomatoes and beets from my postage stamp sized plot. I am 67 and she is 62. My children have no idea how to plant or when or what to do with it if it were to grow! I one generation we as a nation have become much poorer, in a way, because of this loss of security and most of our population has no idea of their loss! This system of having big government and bureaucrats to determine how best to "take care" of us, seems to get ever hungrier for our money to give to the folks who will vote for a living. There are too many wanting to drink from the water waggon without helping to load it and pull it! I think it is all connected. Government now has taken on a life of it's own, and we all now work for it, rather than the other way around. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread...Just my $0.02 and hopefully I might be wrong!

Scandia, Kansas then: It was the 50s and I was in grade school. There were three gas stations; a general store; a beer joint/pool hall; a dentist; a doctor; a barbershop and several beauty shops; two restaurants on main street and one at the truck stop on the highway; an "Indian trading post" and a park with three buffalo next door; a liquor store and mixer shop; a school house for K-12; a Missouri Pacific rail spur; the Rock Island railroad with a passenger depot 9 miles east in Belleville; a lumber yard; a grain elevator; a drug store with a soda fountain and grill; a coin laundry; a clothing store; an auto mechanic shop. On Saturday night the main street was packed with people, farmers, ranchers, and kids of all ages with teen boys cruising up and down main in their cars.

Scandia now: No store, one gas station/C store on the highway, one restaurant, a lumber yard, a new school K-12, a mini rail line, two "antique" stores, and a law office. Saturday night is as dead and quiet as any other night.

the whole area around belleville is dwindling down, towns like narka, munden and mahaska where my family farmed for so many years and all thats left if 400 acres that my grandma owns now thats leased to a local farmer. had i grown up around that farm id of loved to the chance to be holding on to it after my great grandpa passed away. but times are changing fast. theres hardly anything left in those towns now except for the grain elavators.

These are excellent posts, but this is a really sad situation. My wife and I noticed this about the small towns in Kansas we rode through last year. It seemed there were no young people to be seen and the populations were ageing. We live in a subdivision and started building our house in October of 1995 and moved in in late Feb of 1996. The forest, that was behind our property when we started our house, had 136 homes built before we moved in! The lots are small and there would be no room to have a garden at all. I have an acre but I could not feed us off of it though I do plant a garden and my wife cans beans and tomatoes and beets from my postage stamp sized plot. I am 67 and she is 62. My children have no idea how to plant or when or what to do with it if it were to grow! I one generation we as a nation have become much poorer, in a way, because of this loss of security and most of our population has no idea of their loss! This system of having big government and bureaucrats to determine how best to "take care" of us, seems to get ever hungrier for our money to give to the folks who will vote for a living. There are too many wanting to drink from the water waggon without helping to load it and pull it! I think it is all connected. Government now has taken on a life of it's own, and we all now work for it, rather than the other way around. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread...Just my $0.02 and hopefully I might be wrong!

IMO, it's not the government that's caused this. It's the never ending quest to stomp all competition in to the ground. Complete domination by monopolies, monopolies that also control our government. Monopolies that lobby our elected to bend and twist our countries laws and business practices to fit their continues quest to dominate all avenues of business/control. If you buy anything..they want the money going through their hands..be it a bolt, a nut, a orange, a steak..you name it. They have crushed any and all small business's that get in their way. We had trade laws that prevented this very act but they have been eliminated to clear a path for unbridled greed. Just look at the concentration of wealth in this country now. The top 5% own something like 85-90%(or more) of this countries wealth/land. Until people realize just where the problem is occurring....only expect more of the same. until every rural person is driven from this monopolies vast unbroken private property and to the cities. Not necessarily can only a government dictate the future of freedoms and opportunities, too much control by one segment of a countries population can be more dictating and suppressing to a population then all forms of of any government.

When one of these Corp owned big Ag operation's buy up farmsteads. They don't bull doze all existing buildings and tree's to make farming the land easier. They bull doze them to reassure that nobody will EVER move back to this rural area. They want everybody confined to towns/cities. You are much easier to control when you are heared up in a single area then when you are spread out around the countryside. I call it the China effect. that's how much of China is. They want you dependent on them. They don't want you self sufficient. Go to YouTube and search George Carlin American dream USA Inc.. It says it better then any place else I have ever heard it(adult language.)

Last edited:
Anybody remember Bogdonavich's movie "Last Picture Show" ? About coming of age in a dying west Texas town in the 1950's. Makes more sense to me now than as a kid in 1972. Then I was most affected by Cybil Sheppard and full frontal nudity! But the trend and statement unmistakable.

A good example jmac. :10sign:

Thanks Onpoint. My dad said it the best, when the town he grew up in, lost the post office. This after the bar, the bank, the grocery store, closed. " Its an end to an era." More like the end of a life style.:(

Your dad is spot on jmc

I just heard a quote from a cowboy historian and I'll try and say as close to what he said

Burn our cities and save our farms and everybody will survive...burn our farms and save our cities and grass will grown in the streets of every city.

I'm not exact but you all get his point.

Sad and happpening all over the plains states.

Then when cycle turns as in Western ND all of a sudden no workers and services for industry. At least one area that is going to recover for at least 20 to 30 years.

Unless of course our government screws up with more regulations. Kind of off topic but noticed today Diesel is about 20% premium to gas (3.95 to 3.30) all because of regulation change. yeah yeah I know save the planet.

Back