Our dying small towns and rural communities

I've grown up all my life in Central IL. I come from a town of about 1600 people. My highschool pooled 8 or so of these small towns to one building out in the middle of the country. Our school district covered about 350 square miles and I graduated with a class of 150 for some perspective. All of these towns are getting by, not growing or dieing, really just holding steady. IL is fairly well known for it's fence to fence farming but I've been lucky enough to spend the majority of my hunting career in Eastern IL where my grandpa farmed about 1000 acres. Another 100 or so were in CRP or were woodlands.

I would love to be able to take over the family farm, but it's not hardly enough to survive on. My dad left the farm to get into agribusiness and I will spend my whole life working to acquire land for my kids/grandkids etc. to enjoy. I pray my grandfathers ground will never leave our possession because it takes generations to pay these things off. I understand the sacrifices I will have to make in order to afford the memories my dad, and to some extent I, were afforded living a rural lifestyle.

For me personally my choice is going to law school in Chicago and hopefully working for a large firm for a few years in order to bring some of the 'big city money' back to where I belong. I will have to delay getting my hunting dogs, starting a family, and ultimately living the lifestyle I desire in order to live rurally and have my own ground to hunt. Only a few generations ago families were working to get off the farm- now I'll be busting my ass to get anywhere near it. The story of my life will be the race between money and time.

I am trying to start a needed business in small town West Central SD that would bring new blood in off the Interstate and was surprised that i am running into the small town version of big business where the few already established locals want to control all the money and don't want any "outsiders" "taking" any money out of their pocket.Even though my ancestors were some of the first white settlers in the area, and there is currently no competition in the business I am in,around here.They would rather let the buildings on Main Street crumble to the ground than rent one out.
I see now that some are happy to watch their town dwindle away to nothing,as long as they are still raking in the cash.Never apparently realizing that eventually they,too,will be left wondering where the money(and all their neighbors) went.
Of course I have had the thought that they are just waiting for the TransCanada pipeline to be approved so they can really cash-in.

Rancho, Or they are just trying to hold on to what they have. Is you biz going to support the town??? Do you live there?? ....................... Just asking.

This kind of surprises me. I would think they would welcome new business that would attract customers into their town. Is there any area chamber of commerce or local city council that would be willing to work with you?

I am trying to start a needed business in small town West Central SD that would bring new blood in off the Interstate and was surprised that i am running into the small town version of big business where the few already established locals want to control all the money and don't want any "outsiders" "taking" any money out of their pocket.Even though my ancestors were some of the first white settlers in the area, and there is currently no competition in the business I am in,around here.They would rather let the buildings on Main Street crumble to the ground than rent one out.

I can think of two towns in my state that are about 60 miles apart and close to I-80. Both have colleges in them. Both were about the same size 20 years ago.
One town welcomes business and has thrived in many ways.

The other town is exactly as you just described and is slowly dying.

I woulnd't say it is happening all over. I know of farmers whose kids can't find jobs in the cities so they are moving back to the farm.

Armour SD is on the grow. If AG contineus to be stong I see a movement back to rural areas from the cities.

I do see towns like Watson MN that I drive thru and as the farmers get rich that darn town looks worse. Go figure. That town is surrounded by productive profitable farmland. Why doesn't that money come to town.

To me the issue is when the local bypasses his local grocey or lumber yard to drive 40-60 miles to shops at Walmart and Menards.

keepitlocal.com is worth it don't you think?

Rancho, Or they are just trying to hold on to what they have. Is you biz going to support the town??? Do you live there?? ....................... Just asking.

I do live there,for now as i want to stay in pheasant country,get some dogs and do some guiding in the motorcycle off-season.My biz would provide the only place for you to have your H-D motorcycle repaired for 140 miles West and 200 East.Would also give the local ranchers the only place to get an ATV or UTV serviced for 75 miles in any direction.These ranchers plan their trips so they can get groceries,tractor parts,or just to have a beer and socialize.I am convinced it would be good for the community.If they wouldn't support it and I went broke, the town would be no worse for wear.I heard the kid who's family owns the truck stop say he wouldn't mind if the grocery store went broke because you would have to buy milk from him at $6/gal.He also told me that any decent buildings in town are bought-up by his,or one of a few other families so they can control who does what.
The Prez of the local Chamber has been helpful from the standpoint of advising me who owns what.
Although it would be foolish to not listen to input from the locals,I really tire of hearing some predict my fate when they know nothing of my biz or my work ethic.I already have all the tools and equip. payed-for, so I could start with little/no debt.If a guy can't make a go of it under those circumstances he might as well move along to a town with a Taco John's and get a job there.

I woulnd't say it is happening all over. I know of farmers whose kids can't find jobs in the cities so they are moving back to the farm.

Armour SD is on the grow. If AG contineus to be stong I see a movement back to rural areas from the cities.

I do see towns like Watson MN that I drive thru and as the farmers get rich that darn town looks worse. Go figure. That town is surrounded by productive profitable farmland. Why doesn't that money come to town.

To me the issue is when the local bypasses his local grocey or lumber yard to drive 40-60 miles to shops at Walmart and Menards.

keepitlocal.com is worth it don't you think?

There is a lot of truth in what you say UGUIDE.Some of the same folks who don't spend locally then wax poetic on the demise of their community like it's someone else's fault.
And if you look at,say Kennebec SD,you see a much more progressive community.Clean,well-maintained,biz friendly.Unfortunately Chamberlain is just down I-90 several miles and there is no tourist traffic.Murdo has the Car Museum and several motels to draw from in the summer.Around Western SD,on I-90,you can make a very good chunk of change in the summer simply due to the half-million people who visit Sturgis every August.
I do suspect that some here see big dollars when the TransCanada pipeline comes through,but that will only be for a couple years and then the only jobs left will be to maintain it.It won't be like Western ND where they are looking at 20-30 years of solid(make that incredible) cash-flow.Too damn cold for me though.

I do live there,for now as i want to stay in pheasant country,get some dogs and do some guiding in the motorcycle off-season.My biz would provide the only place for you to have your H-D motorcycle repaired for 140 miles West and 200 East.Would also give the local ranchers the only place to get an ATV or UTV serviced for 75 miles in any direction.These ranchers plan their trips so they can get groceries,tractor parts,or just to have a beer and socialize.I am convinced it would be good for the community.If they wouldn't support it and I went broke, the town would be no worse for wear.I heard the kid who's family owns the truck stop say he wouldn't mind if the grocery store went broke because you would have to buy milk from him at $6/gal.He also told me that any decent buildings in town are bought-up by his,or one of a few other families so they can control who does what.
The Prez of the local Chamber has been helpful from the standpoint of advising me who owns what.
Although it would be foolish to not listen to input from the locals,I really tire of hearing some predict my fate when they know nothing of my biz or my work ethic.I already have all the tools and equip. payed-for, so I could start with little/no debt.If a guy can't make a go of it under those circumstances he might as well move along to a town with a Taco John's and get a job there.

that's just sad.....hopefully something will break your way..........

I see. Sounds like you have done your homework. I wish you the best on your endevor. :cheers:

that's just sad.....hopefully something will break your way..........

It is a bit disheartening,for sure.I can always go to Rapid City(25miles from Sturgis) and set up shop.If it wasn't for this addiction to dogs and pheasants.Oh well,would still only be a 300 mile round trip to fez country.I suspect many of you would be thrilled to travel that far.Don't feel sorry for me,just because I'm too stubborn to take the path of least resistance.

It is a bit disheartening,for sure.I can always go to Rapid City(25miles from Sturgis) and set up shop.If it wasn't for this addiction to dogs and pheasants.Oh well,would still only be a 300 mile round trip to fez country.I suspect many of you would be thrilled to travel that far.Don't feel sorry for me,just because I'm too stubborn to take the path of least resistance.

it's about 950 miles each way, to where i usually chase pheasants in SD....
2 trips each season is enough windshield time for me.......

I see now that some are happy to watch their town dwindle away to nothing,as long as they are still raking in the cash.Never apparently realizing that eventually they,too,will be left wondering where the money(and all their neighbors) went.
Of course I have had the thought that they are just waiting for the TransCanada pipeline to be approved so they can really cash-in.

Same thing goes on in my area. The bigger town 27 miles from here has been run and controlled by the same Mafia for the last 30 years or more. Nothing new comes to town unless the money runs through their hands. They are paying the same wages now, as they were 25 years ago when I came here...Min wage...well they who own the town, lives in million dollar homes on the lake with Muli float planes sitting at their dock and/or at the local airport. Few ever climb the latter here. Law enforcement has driven nearly every bar in two counties out of business. Can't even get a burger and beer anymore unless you drive to the mafia run town. Couldn't be by design..could it? Sick the law on these small town bars..drive them from business and bring those customers to the mafia town to get their cash.

Last edited:
Law enforcement has driven nearly every bar in two counties out of business. Can't even get a burger and beer anymore unless you drive to the mafia run town. Couldn't be by design..could it? Sick the law on these small town bars..drive them from business and bring those customers to the mafia town to get their cash.

It could be those bar owners didn't support the right gov't officials during an election. In some cases and areas, if you're a business and didn't help$ elect a certain politician you could pay a price.

This goes for large industries too. Support the winner and you'll be left alone. Support the loser and you may have a few new laws, regulations, and taxes against your industry or business just to make things difficult.

Ugly stuff.

Last edited:
Back