Opener

smizell

Is anyone going to give it a try on Tuesday? I plan on going at least for a few hours in the morning. It sounds like its going to get warm.

I guess I'm not in a big hurry to get out in the dry and hot conditions. May wait a few days, see if we get some moisture and cooler weather.

I'll wait until the following weekend. My pricipal probably wouldn't like me taking off in the middle of the week.

Cobblestone, I am a teacher as well. I just may be sick on opening day and need some fresh air. I do hope the next weekend is a little cooler and maybe we could get some rain.

Going in the morning. Very early. Stake out my spot. Ca area will be crowded
When tbe temp hits 60 and as dry as it is me and the dogs will be done

Unfortunately, I probably won't hunt Missouri at all this year. I've got two trials in the next 3 weeks and then Kansas is open and I am going there.

Cobblestone, I am a teacher as well. I just may be sick on opening day and need some fresh air. I do hope the next weekend is a little cooler and maybe we could get some rain.

Wish I could be sick opening day. But, my administration lets me have two personal days Mon. and Tues. of Thanksgiving week, so I can have the whole week off for a trip to Ks. or Sd. Haven't decided which yet. Done Ks the last three years might just have to switch to SD. Any thoughts?

go to SD. rumor is there are only 2 birds in KS and i believe in another thread on this forum someone has already claimed dibs.

I always look at the Mo opener as a way to get the dogs a little exercise and an excuse to take the day off. Last year at Pony I got a rooster and 6 quail. That was the best I had done in Mo for years. I think Wed I am heading to Bilby.

Wish I could be sick opening day. But, my administration lets me have two personal days Mon. and Tues. of Thanksgiving week, so I can have the whole week off for a trip to Ks. or Sd. Haven't decided which yet. Done Ks the last three years might just have to switch to SD. Any thoughts?

SD, even if you have to walk ditches.

Not a big fan of walking ditches. Stille haven't locked in where we are going yet. Lots of dog power (taking 6), but just me an my step-dad. He's 72 and stilll can out walk and outshoot me.

Still open for more suggestions.

Never been to Kansas but Im going to still vote for SD. Just got back yesterday and there is plenty of space for you and your dad and 6 dogs. We saw plenty of birds. Not as many as last year but there were plenty for 2 guys.

Glad ibwork nights and don't have to use a day. Went early out to whetstone a lot of hunters. Found one covey. It got hot. Heard very little shooting

Sorry posted in the wrong forum

Last edited:
A lot of corn still in up in north Missouri,and it got hot. It was nice to get out, I may try again this weekend after some rain and cooler weather.

I went to Bilby today saw 5 roosters 4 hens and a covey of quail but they were smarter than me. Bird numbers are not great but the quail were a nice suprise. I will be youth deer hunting with my son this weekend.

I went out to my fail-proof spot this morning, 1 rooster, and 2 small coveys of mature quail, 10-12 birds each. took two total, afraid to take more. Checkup in a week or so and see how many, may not shoot anymore, but it's possible there are birds we didn't find, cover thick, but nice cool moist air today for scenting. rooster at least two, probably three, saw others but monkeyed around with the dogs in 160@ of crp, and never got a shot. The victim made a mistake, tried to run back through the dogs, and ran smack into me and had to fly. Incomer like a driven bird. He's soaking as we speak. May be a stewing chicken! Quail are young but mature stuffed with weed seeds, rooster nothing but chilled hoppers.

I was fortunate enough to spend the first week of Missouri season hunting in beautiful South Dakota. I never shot my limits but had lots of chances and my dog did awesome work. Now I'm hesitant to even hunt in MO however I still have the itch to get out and find a quail before the deer shooters are out. The two northern CAs along the river are probably no good this year so I might try some others away from flood areas. I would really like to focus on quail in KS and MO rest of the season. Good luck and stay safe.

Back