Older retriever

bdub20

I have an 8 year old overweight Golden retriever who is a house pet at least 350 plus days a year. I'm planning to get out more this year. I already have some hunts planned and I'd like to get him in shape for the season. I'm looking for suggestions. Right now my plan is to try and do lots of swimming, especially while its still warm and then alternate running him but still push him harder on swimming. The last couple years after hunts he gets real stiff that evening to the point he looks in pain getting up. Usually the next day he is fine. I don't want to overdue it with him but I'd like to get the most out of him this season. My plan is exercise as I said, cut back on his food intake until closer to the season, and looking at glucosamine pills for his hips. Any suggestions on training ideas and also any suggestions on glucosamine pills for the hips.

Thanks,

Ben

It's getting late to start getting him in shape for this season, especially if he's overweight. You best get him on some type of program ASAP. My first concern would be his weight. I'd get him on a high quality Weight Management kibble. It's lower in fat and calories. Swimming would be good as it takes pressure off his joints. I'd also start walking him more and also letting him run. You will need to work up to exercising him 30-60 minutes a day, but not every day. Give him some rest between strenuous workouts. If he is having some joint soreness get him on some type of supplement for joint health immediately. It takes those supplements a couple months to start having a positive effect. I would look at Cosequin or Dasuquin. If he continues to have soreness and stiffness after exercise or hunting I would suggest getting some Rimadyl from your vet. Rimadyl is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that I've had very positive results with for years.

BUT, before you do any of the above I would get him into your vet for an overall health check and consult with the him/her about the use of joint supplements and anti-inflammatories.

what zeb said=—
im a huge beliver in swimming as the best or at least one of the best exercise to get and keep a dog in shape—jmo
just got home from swimming my 11 year old for 45 minutes-with break at a half hour and then 15 more minutes after a break
tomorrow she will do about 15-20 to stay loose-
will be swimming up to 90 minutes before opener -which she will be hunting again
huge believer in carprofen/rymadle (sp)
best get going—starting slow and building up gradually-

Have had issues with my Golden and wet coat...perfect environment for skin problems, namely "hot spots." Hence I avoid getting the dog wet. You may not have those issues with your Golden or blow dry his coat.

Would be very careful with the exercise and warm weather...

I havent weighed him recently but he was around 88 lbs before and should be closer to 70. I'm not expecting him to be back in his prime and I won't over hunt him at all, but we'll be going a couple days in a row and I don't want him to just be dead after a half day.

Have had issues with my Golden and wet coat...perfect environment for skin problems, namely "hot spots." Hence I avoid getting the dog wet. You may not have those issues with your Golden or blow dry his coat.

Would be very careful with the exercise and warm weather...
I've had some allergy issues in the summer. Not too much with hot spots though. I'm interested in the cbd oil as I've heard that helps for skin problems.

Go see your vet, who's preferably experienced w/ hunting dogs.
It doesn't seem to make sense to me to cut his calorie intake while increasing his activity level,
either during training or during hunting.
8 is definitely old enough (even if he's in shape) that he may seriously feel a day's hunt.
I commonly give my dog aspirin in the morning before hunting, as well as in the evening after hunting.
It can make a noticeable difference in the severity of aches & pains.
The aspirin I've been told to give is uncoated, buffered, 10 mg per pound of dog weight.
But definitely see your vet & tell him/her exactly what your concerns are.

Before this turns into a he said it she said p!@# contest—let’s get a vet on here for professional opinion—
‘I do know that before rimidal became available most vets recommend Mallox coated aspirin—
‘And as long as we have it now why screw around with anything but—Rimadyl??

I appreciate all the responses. I will certainly use them and first and foremost get my vets opinion on what I'll be putting in my dogs body.

I would give Rimadyl as a last resort if I ever used it for anything. It is not too late to get a dog in shape for November, that is nonsense. Curious as to what food you are feeding and how much? Feed a high quality feed such as Dr. Tims Kinesis and give about 2 cups per day if your dog should be a 70 lb retriever. Get him out in the morning and start running some short marks. As it starts to cool, begin some quartering work. You can go to the football field for this. You will see his weight come down. Just because a dog is overweight does not mean that he needs supplements and pain relievers. Just by a high quality food and start having fun. You have nearly 4 months til season.

Why would you not use rimadyl for a sore or stiff older dog? Just curious!
I’m not talking about the weight loss issue-

Did not say I would not use it. I said I would use it as a last resort. It has terrible side effects. If I had an older dog I would use it as a last resort. The OP does not have an older dog. He has a dog that he has allowed to be over weight.

haha yes I have allowed him to be overweight. To many table scraps. However he is 8 and is looking pretty old. I do agree with you that I still have enough time to get him where I want him to be. We do 2 cups a day of large breed senior blue Buffalo. It has some glucosamine in it but I may get the pills as well.

Did not say I would not use it. I said I would use it as a last resort. It has terrible side effects. If I had an older dog I would use it as a last resort. The OP does not have an older dog. He has a dog that he has allowed to be over weight.
I've used Rimadyl for over 20 years and have never seen or experienced any side effects. Actually I have never even heard of any side effects associated with Rimadyl. From the vets I've talked to they would recommend Rimadyl over Aspirin.

8 is not old. I always considered a dog in it's prime between the ages of 5 and 8. Try some Dr. Tims and I think you will see his energy level go up. I would not use aspirin either. Instead I recommend a healthy diet, lots of exercise, using a dog ramp, etc. The worst thing for a dog is being overweight, letting them jump in and out of trucks, and not working them year round. I would use Rimadyl for pain if a dog had cancer or some other serious disease but not to comfort the dog at the end of a hunt.

8 is not old. I always considered a dog in it's prime between the ages of 5 and 8. Try some Dr. Tims and I think you will see his energy level go up. I would not use aspirin either. Instead I recommend a healthy diet, lots of exercise, using a dog ramp, etc. The worst thing for a dog is being overweight, letting them jump in and out of trucks, and not working them year round. I would use Rimadyl for pain if a dog had cancer or some other serious disease but not to comfort the dog at the end of a hunt.

Average life span for golden retrievers is 10 to 12 so I'd say 8 is on the older side, especially since his owner (me) let's him eat to many table scraps and i don't exercise him enough in the hot summers.

From what I've read, the best bet is to get glucosamine pills for the dog. Rimadyl does look safer for dogs than human aspirin but really should be prescribed by a vet for things such as post surgery or arthritis. Just my two cents. We all love our dogs and want the best for them. Again I appreciate everyone's input and forums like these to have discussion.

Well good luck. Do yourself a favor and look at Dr. Tims. You shouldn't need supplements with a quality food like that. I disagree with 8 being old for dogs provided the dog has been cared for properly. At 8, my dogs have hunted as hard and had as much energy as they did at 3, matter of fact hey were better hunters at 8 than they were at 3. 55% of dogs are overweight which lowers the life span of gods greatest creatures.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of or experienced “terrible” side effects. I do know that dogs suffering from inflammation feel dramatic improvement with its use, I believe extended use of Rimidayl has a negative effect on kidney function much like aspirin. All that being said I’m not a vet and could be wrong.

It does have side effects and I would use it on an older dog that had an underlining health issue such as cancer. But not on an 8 year old dog with a lot of life left. I can't figure out why some on here are suggesting giving Rimadyl for a dog that doesn't have any known problems other than being over weight. The dog isn't sick it has just been short sided as far as exercise and food goes. Medicine would be the last thing I would suggest. https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...ell-clients-about-pain-control-and-their-pets

Back