North central ks

GSP, GPS , PMS , we got it all covered at my house. Haha.
I hope to get my GSP out a bit this season. I have been working too much to hunt more than one or two weekends the last few years and now I finally have 3 day weekends every week.

it sucks when u search a county for say pheasant hunting this thread will come up i think more people see & read the reports then many care to or want to think try it sometime certain county pheasant hunting tons of info come up including threads from talk forums just something to think about???

i see the guy who started this is has not posted anything since lets hope this was just decoy post to draw us there???

GSP, GPS , PMS , we got it all covered at my house. Haha.
I hope to get my GSP out a bit this season. I have been working too much to hunt more than one or two weekends the last few years and now I finally have 3 day weekends every week.

You ever go out to Hillsdale radar? when I lived in olathe and was laid off a few years back I would go hunting every day there just about, I was so stir crazy sitting at home some times I would just sit in my truck with the windows down listening for birds to whistle :eek: but I tell you what I learned just about every covey of birds on the place and very well educated wow!

it sucks when u search a county for say pheasant hunting this thread will come up i think more people see & read the reports then many care to or want to think try it sometime certain county pheasant hunting tons of info come up including threads from talk forums just something to think about???

i see the guy who started this is has not posted anything since lets hope this was just decoy post to draw us there???

My thoughts exactly..especially since i was just in that area for a weekend scouting and saw one bird

Only a pointer , I run my dogs out there some and hit it sometimes with the kids to call coyotes and stuff. Some years certain spots will have quail and then the next year they wont be there and I will find em elsewhere for whatever reason. Same crops, cover etc. Its only 4 miles from home so its quick and easy.

Me and my dad go up to NC Ks all the time. That's where our farmers are but they last couple of year not including the drought years hunting pheasants anyway hasn't been all that great. I have never limited out Been close with 3 but when it comes to 4 it always gets away. Anyway hope everyone sees something looking forward to hearing reports.

Theres a half a million hunters in the state , I doubt 1/100th of 1% will either read this or go there. Lol. You guys crack me up.

I am not a math guy so excuse me if I am calculating this wrong...

500,000 hunters
1% would be 5,000
1/100th (1%) would be 50.

So you think that 50 random internet hunters in Kansas that read this would not have any effect on hunting. That none of them would say... "smith county here we go" and that a few might tell their buddies at work, and maybe a couple are trying to plan that big opening day extended friend and family WIHA death march of 20 guys lined up walking the field.

Now you realize that as of today it has not been 50 people that have checked out this thread. There has been 1,399 views of this thread. Now I know that doesn't mean 1399 different people have read this thread. But how many different people have? 50? Then all fifty have checked this post 28 times. That seems unlikely does it not?

Those of you who think we are ridiculous for not wanting to talk about bird locations must be from the pre internet generation. Because you obviously do not grasp the power of the internet for finding information. It's all way to easy to find. That's why VJohns where to hunt thread has 4,281 views. If you google "pheasant hunting where to hunt thread" you know what the first result on Google is? VJohns post.

How hard was it to find this thread as the number 1 result on google? Search "pheasant hunting north central Ks forum"

It's not just us members who for the most part agree about hunting etiquette that are reading the info we put on these pages. There are lots of lazy once a year hunters looking for any help so that they can take their fat house lab and their 6 buddies out.

I am not a math guy so excuse me if I am calculating this wrong...

500,000 hunters
1% would be 5,000
1/100th (1%) would be 50.

So you think that 50 random internet hunters in Kansas that read this would not have any effect on hunting. That none of them would say... "smith county here we go" and that a few might tell their buddies at work, and maybe a couple are trying to plan that big opening day extended friend and family WIHA death march of 20 guys lined up walking the field.

Now you realize that as of today it has not been 50 people that have checked out this thread. There has been 1,399 views of this thread. Now I know that doesn't mean 1399 different people have read this thread. But how many different people have? 50? Then all fifty have checked this post 28 times. That seems unlikely does it not?

Those of you who think we are ridiculous for not wanting to talk about bird locations must be from the pre internet generation. Because you obviously do not grasp the power of the internet for finding information. It's all way to easy to find. That's why VJohns where to hunt thread has 4,281 views. If you google "pheasant hunting where to hunt thread" you know what the first result on Google is? VJohns post.

How hard was it to find this thread as the number 1 result on google? Search "pheasant hunting north central Ks forum"

It's not just us members who for the most part agree about hunting etiquette that are reading the info we put on these pages. There are lots of lazy once a year hunters looking for any help so that they can take their fat house lab and their 6 buddies out.

Good post JisMD. I've seen the effects first hand and I created the problem myself, so I know exactly when it started and why. I'll never make the same mistake again. Fortunately for me (and other hunters and farmers in the area I blew up by posting specific information), the area ended up being absolutely terrible for a few years, with all of the CRP WIHA being removed. If I posted a pic with a tailgate full of roosters the day after the opener, I promise you we could go out there the following w/e and see an increase in hunter pressure. I'm not interested in swaying anyone's opionion or stopping them from posting specific locations, I'm simply attesting to JsiMD's post b/c I've seen the result with my own eyes. By all means, if you want company, be as specific as you want to be. But pls, if you notice a great difference in pressure from last year, come back and report to the group. We can treat it like a unofficial study.

If the season would just start we could quit talking about this crap and discuss something of importance, like getting stuck in the mud, good cheeseburgers, and dogs getting sprayed by skunks:D

Oh yea, at 4:30am tomorrow morning, me and my boys will be headed West:cheers:

Last edited:
Good post JisMD. I've seen the effects first hand and I created the problem myself, so I know exactly when it started and why. I'll never make the same mistake again. Fortunately for me (and other hunters and farmers in the area I blew up by posting specific information), the area ended up being absolutely terrible for a few years, with all of the CRP WIHA being removed. If I posted a pic with a tailgate full of roosters the day after the opener, I promise you we could go out there the following w/e and see an increase in hunter pressure. I'm not interested in swaying anyone's opionion or stopping them from posting specific locations, I'm simply attesting to JsiMD's post b/c I've seen the result with my own eyes. By all means, if you want company, be as specific as you want to be. But pls, if you notice a great difference in pressure from last year, come back and report to the group. We can treat it like a unofficial study.

If the season would just start we could quit talking about this crap and discuss something of importance, like getting stuck in the mud, good cheeseburgers, and dogs getting sprayed by skunks:D

Oh yea, at 4:30am tomorrow morning, me and my boys will be headed West:cheers:

I agree. But why does it always have to be a fat house lab? :D Can't it be a fat springer or a Britt next time. Two weeks ago my buddy got sprayed by a skunk in sd. Started kicking the grass in front of his gsp and got a full frontal:eek:. BTW good luck with the youth hunt KB. I love hunting with my boy's.

Good luck this weekend. Rooster Rooster....

Like a friend once said. Hot Barrels and Bloody Hands to you.

Gman

Hey KB,
Best of luck to you and your boys this weekend! I look forward to hearing about your results and of course how the scouting goes. Can't wait to hook up with you-all in 20 days:cheers:.
Going to get the cherries today for us to enjoy after the hunt!
Wolf

I agree. But why does it always have to be a fat house lab? :D Can't it be a fat springer or a Britt next time. Two weeks ago my buddy got sprayed by a skunk in sd. Started kicking the grass in front of his gsp and got a full frontal:eek:. BTW good luck with the youth hunt KB. I love hunting with my boy's.

I for one can attest that you do not own a fat house Lab. You got a great looking athletic lab, what a lab is supposed to be.

The reality is the lab is the #1 most registered dog in America. Therefore I simply see a lot more obese labs on guys tailgate when we are driving around during hunting. I rarely see a springer when I am out fat or otherwise.

fat dogs

probably cause there are a lot of them around, besides i own slim and trim gsp, why would i want to pick on them. from what i see in the fields i hunt, labs seem to dominate and also nearly all of them are walking a few feet in front of the hunter or more often about 6 feet behind the hunter. does it have to be this way, no. i owned labs for years and they could hunt the whole day but i don't see much of that. gotta pick on something.

cheers

Shhhhh lol..u are gonna get everyone all excited and there will be 2000 hunters going to smith county lol...glad u saw some...hope u are not kidding

lol no kidding. I bird hunt Nebraska, and go to Louisiana for the holidays to see my wifes family. And I'm loving duck dynasty cause that means less quail hunters in Louisiana and more quail. I'm liking these days or more duck hunters. Gives us a better chance for Quail and Pheasants in Nebraska and Louisiana.

Gee, ya know I forgot about Ford county 54....I need to make it down there this year.

I'm going to say I was in NC KS (Smith or Cloud) every time I post a pic of dead birds this season. Even if there's a giant tumbleweed and flatness for miles around in the background, I'm still going to say I was in NC KS and saw clouds of birds. Concentrating the hunters on a year like this could mean my boys and I can drive around and have bunches and bunches of WIHA to ourselves in other counties.

BTW, I've never hunted Smith county. I'm just having fun with all this b/c I used to do the same thing. I always thought, why not mention it, surely everyone will talk about every pheasant county in KS, so really, what's it matter? For the next 3 years I saw more and more hunters. Sure, it could've just been that more ppl were hunting KS those years, but I don't think so. I think ppl saw my reports and pics and since they were some of the only ones that mentioned location, they went straight to Pawnee county. Now, it didn't take 'em long to figure out we couldn't all hunt the same WIHA field and do well. I feel personally responsible for creating a shit-storm in one area, all b/c I "invited" the internet scouters there.

Don't be naive guys, there are a BUNCH of LAZY ppl out there who will allow you to do the work for them if you will.....wall to wallhunters in said area is what you'll experience as a result.

I agree with you. I have seen it happen too. If you mention a county or town enough you will notice a increase in hunting pressure. Do not understand why people do this to themselves.

Back