North central ks

I agree with you. I have seen it happen too. If you mention a county or town enough you will notice a increase in hunting pressure. Do not understand why people do this to themselves.

but heres the deal 97 I could tell you to the exact field and if you didn't work it right your not going to kill sh^&%$ walking the crp wont get it done theres more that goes into than just walking around with your head cut off plus where I went I guarantee not many would want to go

crowds

but heres the deal 97 I could tell you to the exact field and if you didn't work it right your not going to kill sh^&%$ walking the crp wont get it done theres more that goes into than just walking around with your head cut off plus where I went I guarantee not many would want to go

i think this is all over blown. crowds, so to speak, in any particular area seem to come and go for lots of reasons, most don't shoot shit and then move off to some other hot spot to get the same amount. your'e right, you could tell a guy a nice field and he gets there the wrong time of day, gets skunked, says your'e full of crap, goes some place else and gets the same amount. remember, most all surveys show that most hunters shoot very few birds like just several per season and many of you out there did no better the last couple of years and hunting pressure had almost nothing to do with it. quit bitching and start hunting

cheers

I agree with you and I also know how to hunt and done so in Ohio for many years where you have to know every trick in the book to find one of our survivors! However it still more fun to hunt without a army in the same field with you and wondering if someone will shoot to close to you or your dog.:cheers:

i think this is all over blown. crowds, so to speak, in any particular area seem to come and go for lots of reasons, most don't shoot shit and then move off to some other hot spot to get the same amount. your'e right, you could tell a guy a nice field and he gets there the wrong time of day, gets skunked, says your'e full of crap, goes some place else and gets the same amount. remember, most all surveys show that most hunters shoot very few birds like just several per season and many of you out there did no better the last couple of years and hunting pressure had almost nothing to do with it. quit bitching and start hunting

cheers

2 years ago during a hunt out in NE Colorado I pulled up to a Walk in property that looked good. I sat up the road and watched for 20 minutes and saw over 60 birds cross the road to go feed on some private. 2 different parties came and hunted it while I stayed in the truck. They didn't flush a bird and probably marked that property off their list. When those birds came back to the cover I was waiting and myself and a buddy were done with 6 roosters in about 30 minutes. You have to look at all the sign. Check routes to feed by observing tracks near the road and sometimes just sit and watch. Learn their escape routes and attack a field in a way that isn't like everyone else. Sometimes I just go out and walk in circles for hours, not straight from end to end like the army. Birds learn very quickly to avoid the everyday marcher.

2 years ago during a hunt out in NE Colorado I pulled up to a Walk in property that looked good. I sat up the road and watched for 20 minutes and saw over 60 birds cross the road to go feed on some private. 2 different parties came and hunted it while I stayed in the truck. They didn't flush a bird and probably marked that property off their list. When those birds came back to the cover I was waiting and myself and a buddy were done with 6 roosters in about 30 minutes. You have to look at all the sign. Check routes to feed by observing tracks near the road and sometimes just sit and watch. Learn their escape routes and attack a field in a way that isn't like everyone else. Sometimes I just go out and walk in circles for hours, not straight from end to end like the army. Birds learn very quickly to avoid the everyday marcher.

I agree bleu just sitting with the windows down listening you can learn tons by hearing one crow I agree with you as well musti heck I learned lots on the forum when I first got on I had never hunted a cut corn field until Bilbo told me how to do it I was like you mean you just don't pound crp all day:confused:

I agree with you and I also know how to hunt and done so in Ohio for many years where you have to know every trick in the book to find one of our survivors! However it still more fun to hunt without a army in the same field with you and wondering if someone will shoot to close to you or your dog.:cheers:

I didn't mean to say you don't know how to hunt 97 I hope you didn't take it that way :) I was just saying lots of people out there heck some days I wonder why do I do this when my dog flushes every bird in the country makes you look like a idiot that's why I tell everyone he is just average which I still think he is compared to my last dog wow!!

I still feel like you can learn more from the biomass maps than anecdotal reports. Anything west of Osborne and Russell counties is going to be pretty bad. They just have had no rain for the last 3 years. That said (and these are only anecdotal) farmers are working hard to cut milo before it rains today and tomorrow and I have heard reports around Lincoln and south of there that says it may not be as bad as everyone thought. I also got a call from my farmer in Graham County who said he cut milo all weekend and didn't see a bird. Look at the biomass maps and you will be fine.

Speaking of biomass, its a amazing what a difference a year can make. The cover around here will wear you out! Its night and day.

Speaking of biomass, its a amazing what a difference a year can make. The cover around here will wear you out! Its night and day.

Same here, but in the Flint Hills at least, the lack of burning this year contributed to much improved native grass stands. I walked through one Sunday that hadn't been burnt or grazed in the past year and it was almost like walking through CRP, just a little shorter and a little less "clumpy". Next year could be an incredible rebound year:thumbsup:

I didn't mean to say you don't know how to hunt 97 I hope you didn't take it that way :) I was just saying lots of people out there heck some days I wonder why do I do this when my dog flushes every bird in the country makes you look like a idiot that's why I tell everyone he is just average which I still think he is compared to my last dog wow!!

Sure am glad my dog isn't the only one that occasionally flushes everything in the county.

Back