North central ks

Just got back from smith county..I own land up in that area and In one of my family members corn field I counted 23 pheasants feeding... that really boosted my moral about hunting this year

Just got back from smith county..I own land up in that area and In one of my family members corn field I counted 23 pheasants feeding... that really boosted my moral about hunting this year

Shhhhh lol..u are gonna get everyone all excited and there will be 2000 hunters going to smith county lol...glad u saw some...hope u are not kidding

Thanks for the report. Hope NC is coming back.

That is fantastic to hear!! We hunt one place in Smith but do most of our hunting in Osburn and Mitchel. I'm counting the days. Thanks.

That is fantastic to hear!! We hunt one place in Smith but do most of our hunting in Osburn and Mitchel. I'm counting the days. Thanks.

That is where we hunt too..make sure and bring me some of that fresh seafood lol
Good luck..hope you enjoy ur hunt

Good to hear some good news. We hunt mostly cloud county. When i went to Ne Ks there was still alot of corn in the fields and soy bean too. Cover in some field looked great. Hopefully 2nd weekend we will find out if our famers have seen or even have any birds.

no shit you sure you were not in ford county 54? kade if your reading this hush I hate smith county I never kill birds there whiffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, ya know I forgot about Ford county 54....I need to make it down there this year.

I'm going to say I was in NC KS (Smith or Cloud) every time I post a pic of dead birds this season. Even if there's a giant tumbleweed and flatness for miles around in the background, I'm still going to say I was in NC KS and saw clouds of birds. Concentrating the hunters on a year like this could mean my boys and I can drive around and have bunches and bunches of WIHA to ourselves in other counties.

BTW, I've never hunted Smith county. I'm just having fun with all this b/c I used to do the same thing. I always thought, why not mention it, surely everyone will talk about every pheasant county in KS, so really, what's it matter? For the next 3 years I saw more and more hunters. Sure, it could've just been that more ppl were hunting KS those years, but I don't think so. I think ppl saw my reports and pics and since they were some of the only ones that mentioned location, they went straight to Pawnee county. Now, it didn't take 'em long to figure out we couldn't all hunt the same WIHA field and do well. I feel personally responsible for creating a shit-storm in one area, all b/c I "invited" the internet scouters there.

Don't be naive guys, there are a BUNCH of LAZY ppl out there who will allow you to do the work for them if you will.....wall to wallhunters in said area is what you'll experience as a result.

KB, you won't catch me in N. central. With or without the internet that place was destined to be a zoo.
This year I am going to test your theory. I have had my eye on a fringe county I have never seen mentioned on here before. Last week at the farm store I got a hot tip confirming it.....so we'll see. My guess is that by thanksgiving it will be hunted hard. Word of mouth still travels.

KB, you won't catch me in N. central. With or without the internet that place was destined to be a zoo.
This year I am going to test your theory. I have had my eye on a fringe county I have never seen mentioned on here before. Last week at the farm store I got a hot tip confirming it.....so we'll see. My guess is that by thanksgiving it will be hunted hard. Word of mouth still travels.

I know I won't see you in NC KS; I'll only see myself there b/c I have a close friend with a lot of good private acres to stomp. The public areas in this region are going to be SWAMPED. Yes, I agree that it would be full of ppl regardless of this forum board. A guy that works for me has never heard of this site. He and his family decided several months ago that they'd be hunting NC KS, long before the report came out. It's a popular area no matter what's mentioned where.

I couldn't care less which places get mentioned b/c I will hunt a different county pretty much every trip this season. I'll usually hunt 4 or 5 different areas early in the season, then revisit 1 or 2 of the better ones later. When I start seeing paths in the cover on every WIHA, I typically move along.

Test away! I hope it produces for you. If nothing else, at least you'll get some peace and quiet and you probably won't have to worry about "sharing" fields with other groups:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would rather knock on doors....sure it costs some time, but so does walking aimless through WIHA's that have been trampled...I will always get enough yes answers to make it worthwhile.

I know I won't see you in NC KS; I'll only see myself there b/c I have a close friend with a lot of good private acres to stomp. The public areas in this region are going to be SWAMPED. Yes, I agree that it would be full of ppl regardless of this forum board. A guy that works for me has never heard of this site. He and his family decided several months ago that they'd be hunting NC KS, long before the report came out. It's a popular area no matter what's mentioned where.

I couldn't care less which places get mentioned b/c I will hunt a different county pretty much every trip this season. I'll usually hunt 4 or 5 different areas early in the season, then revisit 1 or 2 of the better ones later. When I start seeing paths in the cover on every WIHA, I typically move along.

Test away! I hope it produces for you. If nothing else, at least you'll get some peace and quiet and you probably won't have to worry about "sharing" fields with other groups:thumbsup:[/QUOTE

You are right kb it will be swamped and i will be right in the middle of it..i guess it is a good thing we are going up on wednesday night and camping and saving our spot for the family lol...good luck to you..enjoy the peace and quiet..well with the exception of wings fluttering and the random shotgun blast..a day in the field is better than a day at work

:[/QUOTE

You are right kb it will be swamped and i will be right in the middle of it..i guess it is a good thing we are going up on wednesday night and camping and saving our spot for the family lol...good luck to you..enjoy the peace and quiet..well with the exception of wings fluttering and the random shotgun blast..a day in the field is better than a day at work[/QUOTE]

Best of luck to you and your group(?) as well bc!! Wednesday night!?!? That should provide ample time to find a good starting spot and a couple back-ups just in case some jerks come in behind you.

We won't be all that far from you on the opener. I've had enough of hunting W KS when it's hot and dry. At least there are ponds on this side of the state so the dogs can cool off. Heck, I can even find a shade tree when I need one. Once it cools down, I'm confident we'll shoot good #'s of pheasants off of those W KS WIHA CRP fields:cheers:

:[/QUOTE

You are right kb it will be swamped and i will be right in the middle of it..i guess it is a good thing we are going up on wednesday night and camping and saving our spot for the family lol...good luck to you..enjoy the peace and quiet..well with the exception of wings fluttering and the random shotgun blast..a day in the field is better than a day at work

Best of luck to you and your group(?) as well bc!! Wednesday night!?!? That should provide ample time to find a good starting spot and a couple back-ups just in case some jerks come in behind you.

We won't be all that far from you on the opener. I've had enough of hunting W KS when it's hot and dry. At least there are ponds on this side of the state so the dogs can cool off. Heck, I can even find a shade tree when I need one. Once it cools down, I'm confident we'll shoot good #'s of pheasants off of those W KS WIHA CRP fields:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Well kb we kind of have that covered as well..with two fifth wheels and four tents set up it will look crowded lol..plus we are all driving our vehicles there as well so there will be nine trucks down at the campground in fron of our hunting area so hope that scares off a bunch of them..if you get bored and down by glen elder give me a holler...we always have room for a couple more respectable hunters like urself

Theres a half a million hunters in the state , I doubt 1/100th of 1% will either read this or go there. Lol. You guys crack me up.

Theres a half a million hunters in the state , I doubt 1/100th of 1% will either read this or go there. Lol. You guys crack me up.

I am leaving now to stake my claim to some of that famous NC KS ground. I will start walking around Beloit and Stop in Manhattan for a beer. :D:D:D

I kidd I kidd!

Kick'em Up

Back