NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Had that nice rain on August 1st, then the little shower on the 10th. Other than that we have been really hot and dry. A chance of rain on Thursday. Dodge City is above average on rainfall and, I think, the only weather bureau in SW Kansas above normal. I have seen some really outstanding dryland milo fields in the Gray, Ford, Ness county areas. When I made a parts run to Haskell County recently I ran onto some heavy hail damage where the corn was totally stripped, some fields with only a stub standing. Should have made a note of it, but it may have been north of Copeland or Montezuma(I was on some back roads). I think I have only seen one pheasant hatch here on the Ponderosa and one in the road ditch in Haskell County. I have yet to see a turkey hatch here and only a couple fawns. I have been derelict in getting my game cameras out, but hope to soon and see what is out and about. Cover here is so heavy, CRP shoulder high in places, fireweed over your head and my food plots probably 9-10 foot tall. With that I will probably get a lot of camera activity with the vegetation blowing in our constant wind and lots of battery changes.
I don't see that bitter cold blast with rain in the forecast that seems to come about the dove opener that drives the dove out.
All is well at the Ponderosa and I hope all is well with all of you, your families and your canine companions.

Attachments

• DC10day08252024.png
    DC10day08252024.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Went through hell getting my email confirmed. Been working on it for a couple of months. Received .18 yesterday. Town had .5 in the first rain and maybe more after. Can't seem to buy a good rain. Lake is down 3 feet. Been trying to fill it since August last year. Went down 10 inches in July and 5 inches in August. Cattails invaded it while it didn't fill and we're having to spray those now to restore open water.

Went through hell getting my email confirmed. Been working on it for a couple of months. Received .18 yesterday. Town had .5 in the first rain and maybe more after. Can't seem to buy a good rain. Lake is down 3 feet. Been trying to fill it since August last year. Went down 10 inches in July and 5 inches in August. Cattails invaded it while it didn't fill and we're having to spray those now to restore open water.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will change for the better. I don't remember the last time I was your way. Just not on my travel route anymore. Hoping you have a great fall.

Back