NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Ponderosa had 0.75" on July 16th bringing YTD to 12.50" Praise the Lord
I am not used to this moisture. I did my usual food plot planting that usually produces mixed results from fair to poor. This year I hit it right and have some great looking plots. Still not seeing many birds. Two quail hatches, some quail pairs, but no pheasant or turkey hatches and zero fawns, but cover is a jungle so they are there somewhere, I'm sure. I won't be doing any serious mowing until mid August, but that will be when I will have a better feel about this year's bird success. Not seeing any birds on the roads near the Ponderosa.

Ponderosa had 0.75" on July 16th bringing YTD to 12.50" Praise the Lord
I am not used to this moisture. I did my usual food plot planting that usually produces mixed results from fair to poor. This year I hit it right and have some great looking plots. Still not seeing many birds. Two quail hatches, some quail pairs, but no pheasant or turkey hatches and zero fawns, but cover is a jungle so they are there somewhere, I'm sure. I won't be doing any serious mowing until mid August, but that will be when I will have a better feel about this year's bird success. Not seeing any birds on the roads near the Ponderosa.
I have not seen any pheasant chicks. Farmers are now spraying all the way to the road. No cover in the ditches. Been like that the last 2 years.

I am seeing lots of cottontails this year at the Ponderosa and a few Jack rabbits. I did see one kangaroo rat, something that I have not seen for probably twenty years.

Storms snuck up on us yesterday. Got .09, the .01, then .32 for a total of .42. Just planted Japanese millet in the marshes this week. This rain should bring all that up and give it a kickstart!

Fast moving storm last evening. Big blow. Reports of trees blown over. Just a quarter of an inch here at the Ponderosa bringing YTD to 12.75"

Thursday night added 1.50". Praise the Lord. Brings YTD today to 14.25". Annual rainfall at the Ponderosa is 17.50"
We have been really hot and the rain was certainly welcome. Not used to this much rain at the Ponderosa.
The Dodge City Days Rodeo seems to bring a rain to the area.

Last edited:
Back