NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Maynard, I do believe you have the magic touch out there. Don't quit your day job just yet but I see lots of potential here.

I think Maynard stubbed his whole foot. Wheat harvest is at a stand still. It was raining from OK to S.D. I even got 10 drops. Another 1.5-4+ inches fell across the region. Rain is still in the forecast for a while. I can't wait for next weeks drought report. Should be diminished greatly!!!!!:cheers:

I don't have today's rainfall at the Ponderosa yet. It was raining in Dodge this morning so I headed off to Kingman to the quail seminar. It rained on me all the way to Kingman.

We got .48 since yesterday Maynard. I think about .3 of that fell during my talk! Hope I can keep talking:)

I had a call from Garden City this morning and found out Garden received 4.50" this morning.

I haven't done the math exactly, but I believe that puts us at about 5.2 for June. Sure made the roads soft for just .48!

1.30" this morning. June total at 8.55"

prior to June, I had 0.25" on April 24th and 0.15" on May 25th.

So my year to date is 8.95" from rain. A little from snow I will have to go back and pick up.

Last edited:
some picture from today at the Ponderosa.

None of my wheat has been cut yet. Most isn't worth it. In this pic my dryland milo is in the foreground, then the wheat and on the other side of the trees my feed field is looking good from the rains.

IMG_2245_zps7b412e4f.jpg

My cows in the pasture that usually has no water.

IMG_2238_zps70f8659e.jpg

Another pasture pic with water and green grass. This pasture has not been grazed for two years. It wasn't taller than the fuzz on a billiard table until the rains last August.

IMG_2239_zps4c9e4578.jpg

A couple of my friends.

IMG_2241_zpse939d886.jpg

Just some black commercial cows. I had a real wreck with my new bull last year. Supposed to low birth weight, calving ease and a five star disposition. Wrong on all accounts. Cost me a bunch and I am still calving when it should have been over months ago. :mad:

I do like my cows and calves though. A new baby calf, just cleaned up by its mother is a pretty sight in my eyes.

Just funning ya of course. Have been around cows and farming my whole life, but just bought my first set of 5 pairs. Nothing like getting in when the market is at an all time high and cattle country is getting rain :)

I'm impressed, cows that do commercials! Probably for boot hill or something there in Dodge:) I know how bad it was, the pastures are really rebounding. Amazing thing nature! Great to see some birds lived through the 40 years in the desert! Things are looking up. Hope the crops prosper! As for the wheat, you might be beyond hope there! I'll holler if I get out your way! Buy you a sasperilla or something!

Yes, thanks for the pics - I am beginning to think that there is hope for the upcoming bird season.

It isn't going to be stellar this year, but the wildlife at the Ponderosa are doing their best to propagate. When I see a pair of quail and I utter this blessing, "Go and be fruitful." Unfortunately, over the last four years of severe drought, propagation was near impossible and even survival was unlikely. Once the heavens opened up with rain, all things change for the better, Praise the Lord.

Last edited:
Nice pics! Are your friends two hens? My eyes are terrible...

Sorry, not a good picture of the pair of quail. Had the camera on landscape mode and the auto focus wasn't on the quail. Certainly poor photographic work on my part.

Here they are cropped a bit.

IMG_2242_zps9460e14b.jpg

Doesn't even look like the same country! What a huge difference moisture can make. So, glad it is starting to turn, because that is beautiful when green! Water is life out there!!! Thanks for sharing Maynard!:10sign:

Back