NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

I just looked at precip for late last night or early this morning. That is a lot of rain for local areas.

WUNIDS_map-6_zpsf9d7423f.gif

Bleu,

Lots of rain. Reports along the Arkansas River Valley from Cimarron to Garden City of 4 to 6".

What is your source of this map? I use the National Weather Service radar and precip indicator, but it gets turned off sometimes before I can check for rainfall totals.

Bleu,

Lots of rain. Reports along the Arkansas River Valley from Cimarron to Garden City of 4 to 6".

What is your source of this map? I use the National Weather Service radar and precip indicator, but it gets turned off sometimes before I can check for rainfall totals.

I saw that Garden got hit pretty good the other day. I have the same problem with the maps if the storms happen late. I can look at the 24 hour precip, but I can't stop the Map and down load it. I use Weather Underground. Some stations are more accurate then others. I should say radar sites. So, I try and cross reference 2. Both the Dodge and the Goodland radar for precip were about the same on this one. Here is the one from the other day for Garden.

WUNIDS_map-2_zpsd0b0b6a6.gif

rains stuff

one source that I use for reported rainfall is weather collector, for some areas of Kansas it is pretty good, others kinda spotty but worth checking out. one thing that will be nice this fall, with or without lots of birds is that at least we will get to hunt some cover that looks like maybe a bird could be there and makes the coyotes work a lot harder trying to kill my birds.

cheers

one source that I use for reported rainfall is weather collector, for some areas of Kansas it is pretty good, others kinda spotty but worth checking out. one thing that will be nice this fall, with or without lots of birds is that at least we will get to hunt some cover that looks like maybe a bird could be there and makes the coyotes work a lot harder trying to kill my birds.

cheers

Thanks, I will check it out.

Oh, yes, there will be cover this fall. The pigweeds are growing a half a foot a day. I have the two miles of trees and shrubs I planted this spring and we are trying to mow what we can and when we can. Weeds in the slots of the weed barrier for the trees and shrubs are up to my chest in places. Pulling those by hand. I am thinking I will have to look for a rouging crew to help pull weeds, even though they prefer machetes which wouldn't bode well for the tree/shrub. Rain and lots of it creates some challenges, but I like it better than drought.

Might try long handled loppers! They will protect the trees and still handle the thick weed stalks! If you get below the bottom leaf, it should take out the annuals.

Might try long handled loppers! They will protect the trees and still handle the thick weed stalks! If you get below the bottom leaf, it should take out the annuals.

Thanks, Prairie Drifter, I will likely do that on some of the tough ones like fireweed and wild sunflower that have some tough stems. In summary, doesn't matter how you cut it, it is a tough job and somebody's got to do it. That somebody is me.

Now if I had Sheriff Joe, maybe a work detail. :)

On 07-07-2011 at 01:36 PM. 479 users were online checking to see if maynard had gotten any rain!:)

Little did I know when I posted on June 26, 2011, that this nasty drought would continue so long. It has been an interesting and trying three years since that posting. So thankful for the current rainfall and what it means to all creatures great and small.

Just checked and this thread has 987 replies and 65,179 views. Amazing.:)

nice, i saw that coming earlier...how much YTD and for June?

Jan 1 to May 25 was 0.40" in two rains.

From June 1 until 9PM tonight I had 8.55" in ten rains. Radar shows that there could be 1.00-3.00" in the last three hours and rain still falling.

Jan 1 to May 25 was 0.40" in two rains.

From June 1 until 9 PM tonight I had 8.55" in ten rains. Radar shows that there could be 1.00-3.00" in the last three hours and rain still falling.

wow, you were dry...hope everything gets a good drink.

Well the rain cleared out about midnight and it amounted to 1.80".

That brings my June 2014 total to 10.35" and YTD total to 10.75"

I heard on the noon news that Dodge City was above normal with about 12.80" and the normal for Dodge was 10.76". Dodge did get a rain on Mother's Day that was about 3"+ that I got zero.

Weeds are growing, cover will be excellent this fall making the few birds we have rather difficult to hunt. I know when I drive the ATV through the stuff there are animals of some kind moving in front of me, but I seldom see what it is.

Chalk Bluffs. Maynard was commissioned to build the Ark.:cheers:

10502471_424575101016357_2492242188958375706_n_zps2c5802b4.jpg
10500322_424575124349688_480041302415422443_n_zps89a43fd9.jpg

I could do it although my carpentry skills have slipped since the days I swung my big framer.

Back