New trucks

Dewey, you averaged 17.6 with the 6.2L pickup, towing? That's really good. And your buddy averaged 8?? Seems like something is wrong there. On fuelly.com the average is 16-17 mpg for the RAM 5.7L, not towing.

My 6.2 isn't even working with sleds on back, it will actually go into v 4.

Now my buddy I've only known for 9 years and in that time he's had 5 rams one was around that blue tech diesel time, nothing but problems. Since then he's had 4 hemis and not ones been worth a shit, only reason he continues with them is something with work.

My brother in law leases a ram and he can only ave 15 empty, lots of road noise, I don't think the die hard dodge boys will agree with any of this but go for a ride with them and then things change, excuses and pulling in 4th gear then more excuses!

I've only heard 3 people complain about their Eco boost other than that Id say that's the truck I see the most pulling 25'+ campers in the different camp grounds.

My son has a 2011 Chevy Silverado with the 6.2. It's 4WD, an extended cab, 3.73 rear, equipted with the Max Trailering Package which gives you all the heavy duty equipment without the nonsense, in a half ton truck. I've gotta tell ya, it's a hell of a truck. I think it's one of the best drive trains ever offered in a gas truck. The thing gets really good mileage and more power than you'll ever need and this is from someone who grew up with American muscle cars. I think this was Chevys way of offering a muscle truck through the back door without all the fan fare. I can only imagine what the new LT 6.2 version is like.

I am leaning toward staying with a Chevy for various reasons, but not set on it. I would like to hear any more RAM or Ford experiences. The Ford Ecoboost tubo V6 is interesting, amazing torque and hp they get from that, but I lean toward sticking with a non-turbo V8 for long-term reliability. Although on my old '99 Chevy 5.3L (only 270hp and only a 3-speed + overdrive), when in the mountains in CO the lack of power is really apparent. A turbo diesel is just the thing for that, and maybe a turbo gas but I have no knowledge of how that Ecoboost turbo V6 behaves.

The Chevy 6.2L sounds like a great engine. An online article I read said for the 2014 6.2L premium fuel is recommended but not required. Dewey have you tried the cheap gas in your 6.2L? Not sure I would pay up to get the High Country or LTZ packages required to get that 6.2L. Or maybe can get it with a max towing package.

Last edited:
I am leaning toward staying with a Chevy for various reasons, but not set on it. I would like to hear any more RAM or Ford experiences. The Ford Ecoboost tubo V6 is interesting, amazing torque and hp they get from that, but I lean toward sticking with a non-turbo V8 for long-term reliability. Although on my old '99 Chevy 5.3L (only 270hp and only a 3-speed + overdrive), when in the mountains in CO the lack of power is really apparent. A turbo diesel is just the thing for that, and maybe a turbo gas but I have no knowledge of how that Ecoboost turbo V6 behaves.

The Chevy 6.2L sounds like a great engine. An online article I read said for the 2014 6.2L premium fuel is recommended but not required. Dewey have you tried the cheap gas in your 6.2L? Not sure I would pay up to get the High Country or LTZ packages required to get that 6.2L. Or maybe can get it with a max towing package.

I've read that premium is not required but it says on the gas cap premium fuel only....so I've only ran 91 or higher in it.
I had a 2002 & 2007 3/4 Silverado with the pile 6.0 different gen engines but they didn't pull worth a darn and the 02 got 10 mpg empty with 4:10 and the 07 got 13 empty with 3:73's so running premium at twice the mpg I still come out way ahead.
The new 5.3 is a lot better and I read on a GM site that if you run E85 you boost your hp to around 370 and torque to about 400, I'd don't remember the exact #'s but if I find the site I'll put it on here.

A boosted engine, gas or diesel, will not lose as much power at altitude as a NA motor will because boost creates its own atmospheric pressure. That being said the new 5.3l are rated at 355hp/385tq so a New 5.3l will have more power at 10,000ft elevation than your old truck had at sea level.:thumbsup:

The Ford Ecoboost tubo V6 is interesting, amazing torque and hp they get from that, but I lean toward sticking with a non-turbo V8 for long-term reliability.

Rest assured Ford engineers made sure the Ecoboost engine was reliable.

This vid although sponsored by Ford shows some of the extreme testing that was actually performed on a randomly plucked Ecoboost engine from the their engine assembly plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEqwXrqzH4

I just recently traded off my 2005 F-150 and bought a used Dodge 1500 Big Horn addition. At first I was a little concerned as this was my first venture away from Ford but after driving it a few months I have no complaints. The Hemi has all kinds of power and the ride, fit and function of all items are just great. I have put around 10k miles on it and average around 15 mpg both towing and just driving. I also got the Ram boxes and man are they handy. Put all my tools for work in them and then load them up with hunting gear for the weekends.

A co-worker purchased the new Ram 1500 with the diesel and he also loves his truck as well. 25 highway miles averaging about 70 mph.

I got rid of my Tacoma and bought a new FJ Cruzer. Very impressed with it. Took a bit to get used to not having a truck. Still have my '95 F-150.

After looking at the vehicles in person and test driving some, I am going to stick with a Chevy (or GMC). Provided that I don't say to heck with those high prices and just keep driving my '99 Chevy.

wow i drive a 2004 3500 ram with a hemi in it. i get 12 in town with a load on and get 22 on the highway the faster i go the better i get. I have almost 200,000 on it and i have only had to replace the battery and the oil. it is getting the crap bet out of it and it runs like a top. will never buy a ford or chevy again.
:thumbsup:

After looking at the vehicles in person and test driving some, I am going to stick with a Chevy (or GMC). Provided that I don't say to heck with those high prices and just keep driving my '99 Chevy.

I've always driven my Chevys to at least 250,000 miles, some well over 300,000. Your 99 is just getting broken in! :)

Back