New trucks

still_steamn

Am looking at finally replacing my 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 4x4 after 170,000 miles. It's been a good truck, not too many problems over the years. I've always had Chevy's but not completely brand loyal. At home we have a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, and ('67 Plymouth!). Anyone have good or bad experience with the latest Chevy, Ford, or Dodge RAM 1500's? I was somewhat interested in the RAM 1500 3.0L Diesel which can get up to 28mpg highway but I put together a spreadsheet and with the extra $2850 purchase price and since diesel price is so much higher than gas in Minnesota, there is never a payoff unless you drive a lot of miles and/or tow a lot. So I will stick with gas.

If you want a new truck this tidbit might not help you, but if you went newer used I have heard the 2013 Chevy's with the same specs your truck has now are really good. That was the last year of that body style and I think they really had it dialed in. Don't go diesel unless you pull a boat to a cabin every weekend or something. Here's hoping to gas prices staying low:cheers:

My father retired years ago from Ford Motor co., my bran loyalty is.... well, I think you can guess what it is.

I've leased or bought more Ford Trucks over the years than I care to count, and I will say my current 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost is the best one of them all so far, hands down. More than enough power and great gas mileage for a half ton truck. For 2015 Ford will be introducing a all new re-do of the F-150 and one new alternative engine package will be introduced with it, a 2.7L Ecoboost to go alongside the 3.5L which I have. This engine will not have quite the power of the 3.5, but still more than enough power if not towing anything heavy. Expectations are for much improved gas mileage over the 3.5L EB. No figures yet, but mid to upper 20's would be as good as guess as any. The truck itself is going on a 700LB diet, so that alone should improve fuel economy.

Ford all the way baby !!

Last edited:
I have a 2012 5.3 and get 15mpg in town and 18-19 mpg hwy. not bad but kind of underpowered.

Also have a 2014 6.2 that is the same in town and gets between 22-24 on the hwy. it's rated lower but I get it all the time. 420 hp 460 torque she's got balls and manners, still get 13mpg pulling a 30' camper....not bad for a gasser.

I have a 2011 Silverado 6.2 and average about 18 on the highway and the truck is very fun to drive! For me and what I do Silverado's have always been the best. I spend a lot of time on the road and Silverado's just track better and ride smoother. They also have the best engines, they may be simple in design but they get the job done. I drive F 150's every day for work and for me they just don't feel the same and exude the same confidence.

I drive a 2014 Silverado double-cab. I liked the Ext-cab trucks better than the 4 door versions, but starting with 2014 the Ext. cab models no longer passed the "rollover test" and were discontinued.

The double-cab model has a longer box than the crew-cab model, smaller back seat, but has the same wheelbase. I don't haul lots of people, and like the bigger box.

This 2014 gets better mileage and is much quiter than the 2008 Ext cab I traded in. With 18,000 miles so far, no problems at all. If you prefer Chevy's, you will like the 2014/2015 a lot.

I drive a 2014 Silverado double-cab. I liked the Ext-cab trucks better than the 4 door versions, but starting with 2014 the Ext. cab models no longer passed the "rollover test" and were discontinued.

The double-cab model has a longer box than the crew-cab model, smaller back seat, but has the same wheelbase. I don't haul lots of people, and like the bigger box.

This 2014 gets better mileage and is much quiter than the 2008 Ext cab I traded in. With 18,000 miles so far, no problems at all. If you prefer Chevy's, you will like the 2014/2015 a lot.

How long is your double cab bed? My 2014 crew cab 1500 has the 6'6" bed.
100% on the quiet cab! The only problem I've had in 30,000 miles is the heating element in the front buckets went out, replaced and working great.

I took a quick look at a RAM 1500 the other day, with the 6'4" box. I did not have a tape measure handy but my wingspan told me the interior of that box is more like 6'2" measured between the tailgate and front box rail. Since I put a cot in the box and sleep there inside a topper on hunting trips, and I am a little more than 6'2" tall, this small detail may eliminate the RAM for me. A quick look at a Chevy showed that it really does have about a 6'6" interior box length. Even longer than my '99 Chevy box.

I have a 2014 Chevy Double Cab with 6'6" bed. It is the most quiet, best riding truck I have ever been in and gets decent fuel mileage for a full size. Very happy with my choice!

I have a 2012 5.3 and get 15mpg in town and 18-19 mpg hwy. not bad but kind of underpowered.

Also have a 2014 6.2 that is the same in town and gets between 22-24 on the hwy. it's rated lower but I get it all the time. 420 hp 460 torque she's got balls and manners, still get 13mpg pulling a 30' camper....not bad for a gasser.

22-24 mpg? My dad has a '13 with the 6.2l and it's never got over 19, not bad at all for a truck with that much power but how are you getting 3-5 mpg better?

Double post.

Last edited:
22-24 mpg? My dad has a '13 with the 6.2l and it's never got over 19, not bad at all for a truck with that much power but how are you getting 3-5 mpg better?

Different engine, mine cuts 4 cylinders and has continuous variable timing. any 6.2 prior to 2014 was totally different, think they were rated at 12 mpg in town and 16 hwy. I'm think mines rated around 21 but it does better all the time.

And power? Oh yah, turn off the traction control and I can smoke the tires like a little sports car.

I raced a guy in Minnesota 3 times with a Silverado SS, think that's a beefy 6.0 and I waxed him all three times with a 5x8 four wheeler trailer hooked to the back of mine....the wife was a little embarrassed but my son thought it was great.

Oh, I know about the power. The '13 is "only" rated at 412/420 but it gets with it.:thumbsup: I really wasn't sure that the direct injection, vvt, and cylinder deactivation (driven trucks with it, never impressed but they were 5.3s) would make that much difference but that's pretty great. I might need to talk dad into upgrading and selling me the ol' heap.:D

Oh, I know about the power. The '13 is "only" rated at 412/420 but it gets with it.:thumbsup: I really wasn't sure that the direct injection, vvt, and cylinder deactivation (driven trucks with it, never impressed but they were 5.3s) would make that much difference but that's pretty great. I might need to talk dad into upgrading and selling me the ol' heap.:D

The catch with the whole thing is it's only available in a LTZ or High Country $$$$$ and 91 octane. Think we payed around $2.30 give or take a few cents 2 days ago.
Just filled up the 5.3 @ $1.99 a gal. Thought We'd never see that again!

The 6.2 cuts the cylinders seamlessly and can actually cruse in 4 cylinder, my 5.3 is in and out all the time and you can really feel it.

The new 5.3 and 6.2 are all new, they are based of the LT1 motor found in the new corvette. The LT1 is a evolution of the LS1 and is a completely different motor.

The catch with the whole thing is it's only available in a LTZ or High Country $$$$$ and 91 octane. Think we payed around $2.30 give or take a few cents 2 days ago.
Just filled up the 5.3 @ $1.99 a gal. Thought We'd never see that again!

The 6.2 cuts the cylinders seamlessly and can actually cruse in 4 cylinder, my 5.3 is in and out all the time and you can really feel it.

I am pretty sure you can now get them with the max trailering package as well, which is what my truck is.

This is a timely thread for me.

I have a 2001 F-150 Crew 4X4 with 240,000 miles that I am going to have to replace before to long. It has been an awesome truck, pretty much perfect for my needs over the years.

Guess at this point I am leaning toward the F-150 Eco.

Dodge 1/2 Ton Diesel

I work with two guys who have purchased the new Dodge 1/2 ton diesels. One loves it, the other is thinking of selling it while he can still get some good money for it. The guys who loves it has had Dodges for 20+ years and his previous truck was a 3/4 ton Cummin crew cab. The fellow who doesn't like it previoulsy owned a 1/2 ton F150 crew cab, not sure how old. I asked him what he doesn't like about it. His biggest complaint was interior noise. He stated his F150 that he traded in didn't squeek / rattle hardly at all and the new Dodge is driving he and his wife crazy. He also stated that he thought that the fit / finish wasn't nearly as good on the Dodge as on the other truck manufactures.

I myself drive a 3/4 2001 Silverado DMax. Have 83,xxx miles on it and love it to date. Just wished the back seats folded like the old versions to make the flat platform / deck in the backseat.

Just went snowmobiling by the U.P. and with a three place trailer I averaged 17.6 round trip.

My friend has a new 1/2 ton dodge with the hemi, about 600 miles on it, he pulled a 2 place and averaged 8....he's pissed to say the least.

Dewey, you averaged 17.6 with the 6.2L pickup, towing? That's really good. And your buddy averaged 8?? Seems like something is wrong there. On fuelly.com the average is 16-17 mpg for the RAM 5.7L, not towing.

Back