New Fiocchi ammo at Running's

CRP

I usually buy the dogs Science Diet food at Running's. While there recently, I noticed some new Fiocchi shotshells called "Upland 34" on sale for $8.29. They were in an attractive black box with a neat looking label. The surprise was the amount of shot, 1 1/5 oz. That's no misprint!

Last year, Running's had a new shell in a dark blue box called "Dakota Country Pheasant", which was a 1 1/4 oz of #5 at 1225 fps. Earlier this year, they added a HV version of the Dakota Country Pheasant on the shelf in a yellow box. These were the standard 12 load of 1 1/4 oz at 1330 fps.

I have had great success with the various Fiocchi Golden Pheasant nickel-plated loads in both 16 and 12GA, but those new loads look like they would be worth a try.

That's dirt cheap! :eek:

just talked to Runnings and they have the Dakota country Pheasant loads for $8.29 a box. They are blowing Federal and Remington out of the water on price. I'll be picking up a case

The velocity was not on the box. I'll have to check with Fiocchi. The nickel-plate loads work well, but $8.29 beats $13 a box all to heck!

Last edited:
Gas for the truck is approaching $3 per gallon. Why would anyone try to save money on shells?

So I can afford to put that $3.00 per gallon gas in the truck to get there. :D

Zeb, 1330fps is plenty of steam for killing roosters with lead. That's all our ancestors had for many years. Heck I have killed Ruff Grouse with 2.5" 7/8oz #6 vintage loads from my 1880's SxS 12ga. I had some 13/8oz Remington nitro Mag #5's one time. A old rooster got up close. I up and banged him like I would when snap shooting a grouse. He actually excellorated away from me and across a drainage ditch. I sent the dog and she wouldn't even pick it up. I finally jumped the ditch and picked it up. It had a hole the size of my fist I shot though it...NOTHING LEFT OF IT. I don't need that kind of killing power. I like to eat my birds..maybe very late in the season some folks would want that kind of HP.

Onpoint

Last edited:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

My perspective is more on the side of "Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish". I'm 600 miles away from where we are going to hunt in SD. So....the difference of $5.00 per box @ 25 shells equates to $.25 per shell. I'll stick with a good quality shell that has worked for me for years. Granted, if they soot well and they like them. Great. The price is considerably less. They have to be giving up something and I assure you it's not the profit margin.

1,330 fps is the old standard for a 12 ga. 2.75" 1 1/4 oz. load. Plenty of power for any pheasant. The Upland 34's have 1 1/5 oz. of shot but I doubt anyone will notice that little difference of 0.05 oz. of shot. But like rjbert2 brings up, what did they cut to get the lower price? I would question the hardness of the shot, shot cup and the primer. However, they are probably decent loads. Guess there is only one way to find out how they perform, shoot 'em.

I'm amazed at how fast people who have never even shot one shell or even picked up a box to look at and they have already decided that they are inferior. In 1942 they killed 4, 500, 000 roosters in South Dakota. and they didn't have any Prairie Storm, Golden Pheasant, Etc shells. How can that be? Most of the ammo back then had paper cases with multi piece felt/card board wads and you were lucky if the gun they were shooting had ever been even cleaned in it's life. I remember old timers talking about the red dust that would fly when they fired the gun for the first few times of the season. RUST!

Here's a idea, try it before you knock it like DZ says. I'm going to.

Last edited:
I stopped at Runnings today and picked up a box of the Upland 34's in #5 shot. Figure I'll try them next week when I'm hunting in Minnesota.

Runnings also had the Fiocchi "Dakota Country" loads but like was said in the earlier post they have 3 1/4 drams of powder for a velocity of 1,225 fps. Then there was another Fiocchi load that the guy at Runnings said was made exclusively for Runnings and I don't remember what is was called. But it basically the same as the Upland 34's but with 1 1/4 oz. of shot.

All three of those Fiocchi loads were price about the same. $8.49 - $8.99 per box.

It would appear that Big R is NOT the exclusive for the Upland 34 load, since I saw them in Running's. However, the Dakota Country Pheasant load IS exclusive to Running's (according to Running's).

The word "Pheasant" seems to be the buzzword for shotshells now.
Ref: Federal-Pheasants Forever, Remington-Nitro Pheasant, Winchester-Super Pheasant

The reason for the lower price must be due to plain lead shot instead of copper or nickel-plated shot.

In 1942, they shot roosters out the car window and shot them on the sit. Now, we got Praire Storm and I can let the rooster fly into the next county and he is still in range.

Ya and those Federal, Remington and Winchesters are $20.00 a box or more in many places.

In fact the 3" Federal Prairie Storm is over $30.00 a box. Makes $8.29 look pretty good and the dead pheasant won't know the difference.

In 1942, they shot roosters out the car window and shot them on the sit. Now, we got Praire Storm and I can let the rooster fly into the next county and he is still in range.

pheasantaddict. that's your first mistake, thinking you can now pull off extreme range shots. I have a 10ga..should I start carrying that?

Last edited:
I was with a guy last year that shot a rooster and was bragging how he killed that bird at 50 yards. We paced it off from where he was standing to where it landed, not where it was when he shot it and it was only 24 steps!
Many can't estimate range.
I've been shooting a 34G B&P load for a few years now and I think they work just fine and I'm only paying 8-9 per box and they deliver them to my door and I don't pay sales tax!!

I wasn't around in 1942, but from the stories I used to hear, the pheasants were as thick as flies. As such, you could do OK without a dog, and the paper cased shells of the day worked just fine. The limit at one time was 10 birds which could include one hen.

With numbers like that, you could slam car doors and yell "up bird" all day without worrying about hunting smart or using sensible tactics. Those days are long gone!

I just returned from 3 days of hunting in Minnesota and I shot most of a box of the Upland 34's in #5 shot. They preformed very well. I can't say I could tell any difference between the 34's and the Federal PF's I normally shoot.

I just returned from 3 days of hunting in Minnesota and I shot most of a box of the Upland 34's in #5 shot. They preformed very well. I can't say I could tell any difference between the 34's and the Federal PF's I normally shoot.

Huh? I may have to try a box at training. That will tell the story. We shoot so many of the PF rounds, and let the bird ride to 35-40 yards. Not much lead or at all really. So I will shoot the same and see if I am falling behind. And how many birds go down dead. When we use the PF, there 99% dead. I will still will buy PF for 10$ a box in a couple months. But if they work as well, which I doubt, I will buy them as well, by the case.:thumbsup:

Back