New FarmBill

JLP. Proper management is very important. But benefits only accrue over time if the land remains managed. CRP is short term. Haymaker, give me one acre that will be there PERMANENTLY, versus 40 that will be gone tomorrow. Land is in CRP, wildlife benefits, then the land comes out. You start all over. One acre this year, one more the next, etc........and farmers benefit with more stable crop prices. Communities build tax base with added tourism. Less flooding etc.....

JLP. Proper management is very important. But benefits only accrue over time if the land remains managed. CRP is short term. Haymaker, give me one acre that will be there PERMANENTLY, versus 40 that will be gone tomorrow. Land is in CRP, wildlife benefits, then the land comes out. You start all over. One acre this year, one more the next, etc........and farmers benefit with more stable crop prices. Communities build tax base with added tourism. Less flooding etc.....

I am not opposed, too much grass was farmed with the last price boom. One thing that I have noticed with my CRP is it is far more productive the first 5 years than the last 5. That will take some management too.

Excellent point. Purchasing more land when we dont properly manage what we have already is a waste. Any grants to purchase land would require permanent management plans, including habitat quality measurements.

Excellent point. Purchasing more land when we dont properly manage what we have already is a waste. Any grants to purchase land would require permanent management plans, including habitat quality measurements.

There is already a lot of public land that if it was managed better would be more productive. Maybe that would be a less expensive place to start.

There is already a lot of public land that if it was managed better would be more productive. Maybe that would be a less expensive place to start.

Yes sir I agree 100% Haymaker I've mentioned this lots b4 only to be called a cry baby whiner Botard? & then somebody brings up how are we gonna pay $$$ for this public land management etc. Can't raise license cost or add a pheasant stamp or public land trespass fee so I've been told on this site...

It does not need to cost so much. I see this as an opportunity for those guys, like you that prefer to hunt public to put some sweat equity into public acres. I know twenty guys upgrade a place and 50 guys that did nothing come and hunt it. I don't have all the answers and nothing is perfect.

David0311

Yes sir I agree 100% Haymaker I've mentioned this lots b4 only to be called a cry baby whiner Botard? & then somebody brings up how are we gonna pay $$$ for this public land management etc. Can't raise license cost or add a pheasant stamp or public land trespass fee so I've been told on this site...

HMMM--:eek:

Public Land--Special Trespass Fee---Would that not --be another version of--

---PAY TO PLAY--:rolleyes:

Can't believe a "real man who hunts public land"

Would be in favor of paying for access to hunt;)
'

HMMM--:eek:

Public Land--Special Trespass Fee---Would that not --be another version of--

---PAY TO PLAY--:rolleyes:

Can't believe a "real man who hunts public land"

Would be in favor of paying for access to hunt;)
'

You don't get around to hunting out west much many states have a habitat or access fees you must pay to hunt public lands... Like MN WIA 3$-5$ access fee to hunt WIA not nearly as bad as 150$-300$ per gun per day on private pay to play...

It does not need to cost so much. I see this as an opportunity for those guys, like you that prefer to hunt public to put some sweat equity into public acres. I know twenty guys upgrade a place and 50 guys that did nothing come and hunt it. I don't have all the answers and nothing is perfect.

I'd happily pay 5$-10$ access or habitat improvement fee to hunt these improved areas & help out them 20 guys... Correct most guys hunt the area & do nothing to improve it...

PF just set up HQ last year in SD only took damn near 30 years guess it takes time to improve things...

David0311

You don't get around to hunting out west much many states have a habitat or access fees you must pay to hunt public lands... Like MN WIA 3$-5$ access fee to hunt WIA not nearly as bad as 150$-300$ per gun per day on private pay to play...

1-Didn't know you were privilege to know my hunting -fishing -dog training --itinerary--

2- However your post does remind me of a old joke-actually you remind me of many --but this one I believe fits here-

Man to woman--would you sleep with me for a million dollars??

Women to man--after some thought agrees-

Man to woman---would you then sleep with me for a quarter??

Women to man--- angrily--what do you think I 'am

Man to women-----we already established that--now we are just haggling over price--:rolleyes:

1-Didn't know you were privilege to know my hunting -fishing -dog training --itinerary--

2- However your post does remind me of a old joke-actually you remind me of many --but this one I believe fits here-

Man to woman--would you sleep with me for a million dollars??

Women to man--after some thought agrees-

Man to woman---would you then sleep with me for a quarter??

Women to man--- angrily--what do you think I 'am

Man to women-----we already established that--now we are just haggling over price--:rolleyes:

Just figured you have not done much hunting in many states out west if the idea of paying a few $ at the time u buy a license to access a entire states public lands is new to you???

5$ access fee same as paying 150$ per day to hunt 1 chunk of private I know its the same...

Actually crp devalues farm land losing tax base. There is no DNR agency capable of handling anything you hope to achieve. That's why they outsource that in form of crp contract

Tilkut

There is a permanent program now... it's CREP

Sorry Petry, isn't CREP a "rental" program? Not my idea of permanent, and I don't see where the added recreation benefits come from CREP? FYI, I wasn't responding to give my opinion on what existing DNR agencies should do. I think we have the situation we have, because we work with existing laws, agencies, and goals. I simply believe that all the money, ( hundreds of millions ) spent on temporary CRP, CREP, etc.... is a waste. Because it can be gone in an instant. Not a wise use of resources to me.

Sorry Petry, isn't CREP a "rental" program? Not my idea of permanent, and I don't see where the added recreation benefits come from CREP? FYI, I wasn't responding to give my opinion on what existing DNR agencies should do. I think we have the situation we have, because we work with existing laws, agencies, and goals. I simply believe that all the money, ( hundreds of millions ) spent on temporary CRP, CREP, etc.... is a waste. Because it can be gone in an instant. Not a wise use of resources to me.

No... CRP is 10 or 15 yr rental.... CREP is like $2000/ac up front and some rental period then it's permanently idle. The problem is land prices are much higher. That doesn't even buy timber ground

I don't think your point is possible... what you want to do is exponentially more expensive

Thanks BidRand. I pulled up a fact sheet from a state close to me. Specifically mentions 14-15 year contract. Nothing I saw was permanent. My first post mentioned I am tired of paying millions, only to end up where we started a few years later. I want land to be purchased, not rented. I want it to be open to recreation, and managed properly. Hunting, fishing, bird watching, biking, hiking, etc......and I want it to be permanent. To me, anything else is a complete waste of money. If you dont want to sell erodible, poor yield lands, don't. But our goverment pouring money into short term programs is stupid.

According to my NRCS lady, the difference between CREP and CRP is CREP is open to the public. The payment is higher to encourage that. That is in South Dakota, it may be different in different states.

According to my NRCS lady, the difference between CREP and CRP is CREP is open to the public. The payment is higher to encourage that. That is in South Dakota, it may be different in different states.

In Illinois CREP is permanent ... maybe your state is different

Tilkut there is no way your idea is feasible.... who takes care of that land? And then do you really think the govt could manage 25-40 million acres of it? They can't handle what they got

Back