New FarmBill

Dennis, gimme your take on SHIPP. I don't get it and I am afraid many producers will do the same making it ineffective. I am not finding the value.

I don't know all the details but I question whether there is enough incentive. There is a small deduction on crop insurance. I have not put the pencil to that yet. I like the short duration part of it. For me I think I can see it working but on limited acres.

I don't know all the details but I question whether there is enough incentive. There is a small deduction on crop insurance. I have not put the pencil to that yet. I like the short duration part of it. For me I think I can see it working but on limited acres.

Every little bit helps but the fact that it can take 3 years itself to establish grass makes me wonder (although those years can be pretty productive for birds too with the early succession thing going on).

To me things like SHIPP and the tax break on buffers are more politically beneficial that actually making much physical impact. In other words, not too much producer behavior is being changed.

I think their hope is if it is planted maybe some of it will stay that. it is a working lands bill so it is not set aside, it can be used. In my case I think I am going to plant an area that is awkward to farm to warm season grasses that I could cut for hay after nesting is over.

Back