New FarmBill

petrey10

Been involved with a few meetings involving the new farm bill. It's exciting times as the constant theme is raise that crp cap significantly most saying speculating around 40 million acres. This could be fantastic for our sport. Curious to your guys thoughts.

Been involved with a few meetings involving the new farm bill. It's exciting times as the constant theme is raise that crp cap significantly most saying speculating around 40 million acres. This could be fantastic for our sport. Curious to your guys thoughts.

What kind of meetings are you talking about? I wonder if budget concerns will allow that to happen.

Our Reps can say what they want now, but when this thing hits the conference committee the big money is going to talk. They want every acre possible planted.

I would love to see the cap raised, good for all wildlife and the environment. With the current prices on commodities, taking some of the "marginal" land out of crop production and back to CRP ( wildlife ) could make sense. From what I have heard, they had more farmers wanting to put acres into CRP than the current cap allowed, so that indicates there may well be land available for the program.

I think the increased awareness of what CRP has done for wildlife and the environment in the past, versus what we have now, has the potential to work
in our favor.

Good productive ground will stay in crop production, but if we can get the marginal ground out of crop production and back into CRP, and the farmers
can see a return on their investment, we all win..

What kind of meetings are you talking about? I wonder if budget concerns will allow that to happen.

Conservation money is a small small sliver of the farmbill the money for crp should be there as it's not only benefitting one class or group. Many many benefit from it.... water quality is a huge issue

Our Reps can say what they want now, but when this thing hits the conference committee the big money is going to talk. They want every acre possible planted.

Actually Ike from my meetings you are looking at it the wrong way. Farmers want higher grain prices. Well production is up and demand is high enough to get that 4$ corn right now.... easiest way to bump price? Remove millions of marginal ground from production.

This has been stated by farmers in these "brainstorming" think tank like meetings

Conservation money is a small small sliver of the farmbill the money for crp should be there as it's not only benefitting one class or group. Many man, yjust benefit from it.... water quality is a huge issue

I aggree, most of the farm bill is food stamps. I am not opposed to raising the cap I am not sure that the political climate that exists now will be supportive of spending money on that.

I've been hearing farm the best aka most productive crop lands & leave the rest aka marginal crop lands grow into crp etc. for almost 20 years its not a new concept still seeing farmers tile crappy farmlands each season ...

OK got it. Not all CRP is marginal land, for example my latest project is going to cost me $1539.00 each year. It is a CP-37 Duck Nesting habitat project with 6.4 acres of wetlands, .8 acres of non-farmed wetland and 69.1 acres of upland and I also left 5 acres out of the project for a food plot. The upland and food plot acres are very productive land---now they will be very productive for wildlife.

How does it cost me to do this. Although CRP pays annual rent just like the guy who use to farm it, they don't pay as much and they don't pay me at all for the 5 acre food plot. The farmer was responsible for up keep such as weed control and that is not for free either. Chris (U-GUIDE) says "Quality Pheasant Habitat is not CHEAP" he is very right.

Some things are worth it though. :D a young hunters first rooster

Last edited:
OK got it. Not all CRP is marginal land, for example my latest project is going to cost me $1539.00 each year. It is a CP-37 Duck Nesting habitat project with 6.4 acres of wetlands, .8 acres of non-farmed wetland and 69.1 acres of upland and I also left 5 acres out of the project for a food plot. The upland and food plot acres are very productive land---now they will be very productive for wildlife.

How does it cost me to do this. Although CRP pays annual rent just like the guy who use to farm it, they don't pay as much and they don't pay me at all for the 5 acre food plot. The farmer was responsible for up keep such as weed control and that is not for free either. Chris (U-GUIDE) says "Quality Pheasant Habitat is not CHEAP" he is very right.

Jim you are not the row crop farmers I'm talking about farming fence line to fence line you are pheasant farming doing good things on your lands.

If all farmers thought like you we would be in good shape...

Actually Ike from my meetings you are looking at it the wrong way. Farmers want higher grain prices. Well production is up and demand is high enough to get that 4$ corn right now.... easiest way to bump price? Remove millions of marginal ground from production.

This has been stated by farmers in these "brainstorming" think tank like meetings

Be wonderful if it was so simple. Unfortunately we're in a global market, with Brazil, Argentina, Russia, Ukraine... expanding soybean, corn, and wheat production, and the US is rapidly becoming a residual supplier to many parts of the world.

Another way to look at it is every acre the US idles is another acre available to the rest of the world.

As a bird hunter, with a kennel full of dogs, would love to see additional CRP. Just pointing out the fact that idling additional US acres doesn't necessarily translate to increased commodity prices.

Be wonderful if it was so simple. Unfortunately we're in a global market, with Brazil, Argentina, Russia, Ukraine... expanding soybean, corn, and wheat production, and the US is rapidly becoming a residual supplier to many parts of the world.

Another way to look at it is every acre the US idles is another acre available to the rest of the world.

As a bird hunter, with a kennel full of dogs, would love to see additional CRP. Just pointing out the fact that idling additional US acres doesn't necessarily translate to increased commodity prices.

Well fortunately we can get that grain to the world cheaper and more efficiently with a higher quality product than any other part of the world. Just ask South America how they are doing with their soybean infrastructure.

It may be global but they can't move their supply.

Whether you want to believe it or not... idling ground will benefit crop prices

Would love to know more details on the numbers ... pm me if you don't want it published

Idk if I would factor in the food plot cost as to me that's more of a luxury than need especially if you are in ag area. Also contact your local coop as they may have leftover seed for discount or even free.

Here is how I see it. First I am not a farmer and never have been, this farm is my wife's family farm which we now own. We do habitat work as we see fit simply because we can. SO if we can cash rent it to a local farmer for $150.00 per acre and can only get $125.00 per acre from a CRP contract then it costs us $25.00 per acre to have the CRP and we have to do the weed control and other up keep on the land.

As for the food plot yes it is a luxury and not necessary --- but really makes the habitat much better for wildlife. So it costs the lower of the two choices and in all cases it's the CRP payment and using the numbers above it costs $625.00 per year plus seeding cost and seed--most years the local Pheasants Forever group has seed free or really cheep.

Have I got a sweetheart deal---you bet I do, am I sorry about that--not a bit

One other thing, WE don't profit from having over 200 acres of CRP on the farm---kind of old fashion in that we never charge to hunt our land :thumbsup:

Well fortunately we can get that grain to the world cheaper and more efficiently with a higher quality product than any other part of the world. Just ask South America how they are doing with their soybean infrastructure.

It may be global but they can't move their supply.

Whether you want to believe it or not... idling ground will benefit crop prices

Today, just in the Brazil port of Santos there are 39 vessels loading and 67 vessels waiting to berth. That's a total of 106 vessels, each loading an average of 50,000 metric tons of soy, equates to 5,300,000 mt or 194 million bushels. As comparison the US loaded approx 2,000,000 mt of soybeans over the past two weeks out of ALL of our ports. I'd say their infrastructure is fine.

The soybean plant in China doesn't give a hoot where the beans come from. Global quality and yield have and are continually improving. Heck who do you think sells seed in these countries. Dupont/Pioneer, Monsanto/Dekalb... I've been trying to get export destinations to pay a premium for my "superior quality" for 30 years...maybe on the next trade.

Whether you believe it or not, the CRP program has negligible impact on global prices. Prices are much more determined by global weather, supply and demand.

Sincerest apologies for the rant.

Here is how I see it. First I am not a farmer and never have been, this farm is my wife's family farm which we now own. We do habitat work as we see fit simply because we can. SO if we can cash rent it to a local farmer for $150.00 per acre and can only get $125.00 per acre from a CRP contract then it costs us $25.00 per acre to have the CRP and we have to do the weed control and other up keep on the land.

As for the food plot yes it is a luxury and not necessary --- but really makes the habitat much better for wildlife. So it costs the lower of the two choices and in all cases it's the CRP payment and using the numbers above it costs $625.00 per year plus seeding cost and seed--most years the local Pheasants Forever group has seed free or really cheep.

One other thing, WE don't profit from having over 200 acres of CRP on the farm---kind of old fashion in that we never charge to hunt our land :thumbsup:

You don't profit from the 125$ cash rent ?

You can cost share the chem and labor also. But I know most pf groups have some chemicals on hand. My coop sells/gives them some roundup or other stuff each year.

There's areas here getting $300/ac.... sure they could get maybe 325 from some sucker but is that 325 gonna be locked in 10 or 15 years? Nope... year or two then they move on from not putting dry on and soil is depleted. You got to understand the average rent in your area isn't the big number u hear at the coffee shop

Today, just in the Brazil port of Santos there are 39 vessels loading and 67 vessels waiting to berth. That's a total of 106 vessels, each loading an average of 50,000 metric tons of soy, equates to 5,300,000 mt or 194 million bushels. As comparison the US loaded approx 2,000,000 mt of soybeans over the past two weeks out of ALL of our ports. I'd say their infrastructure is fine.

The soybean plant in China doesn't give a hoot where the beans come from. Global quality and yield have and are continually improving. Heck who do you think sells seed in these countries. Dupont/Pioneer, Monsanto/Dekalb... I've been trying to get export destinations to pay a premium for my "superior quality" for 30 years...maybe on the next trade.

Whether you believe it or not, the CRP program has negligible impact on global prices. Prices are much more determined by global weather, supply and demand.

Sincerest apologies for the rant.
http://www.agriculture.com/markets/...-stranded-on-swamped-amazon-highway-in-brazil

Oh ya it's fine....

Back