New FarmBill

You don't profit from the 125$ cash rent ?

You can cost share the chem and labor also. But I know most pf groups have some chemicals on hand. My coop sells/gives them some roundup or other stuff each year.

There's areas here getting $300/ac.... sure they could get maybe 325 from some sucker but is that 325 gonna be locked in 10 or 15 years? Nope... year or two then they move on from not putting dry on and soil is depleted. You got to understand the average rent in your area isn't the big number u hear at the coffee shop

Anytime I have put land in CRP for 10 years the competing rental rate has gone up significantly by the time it came out. That is why I never put land in CRP for more than 10 years.

David0311

Jim you are not the row crop farmers I'm talking about farming fence line to fence line you are pheasant farming doing good things on your lands.

If all farmers thought like you we would be in good shape...

SMO????

I too admire Jim and his practices--

HOW EVER--Just recently to went into a rant on how my friend/customer did nothing for the good by buying over 800 acres of intensively farmed land and is turning the whole 800 plus acres into wild life habitat --

Where exactly do you stand on this issue?? At the moment?:rolleyes:

SMO????

I too admire Jim and his practices--

HOW EVER--Just recently to went into a rant on how my friend/customer did nothing for the good by buying over 800 acres of intensively farmed land and is turning the whole 800 plus acres into wild life habitat --

Where exactly do you stand on this issue?? At the moment?:rolleyes:

I like what Jim is doing on his wife's family farm & not charging people $$$ to hunt etc. Just to get back some $$$ he spent on his projects...

Dont feel the same about a big shot with deep pockets who payed to play then baught a farm for his personal enjoyment... Just my 2 cents

Plus Jim is in a area with a butt load of public land good for everyone...

Last edited:
Anytime I have put land in CRP for 10 years the competing rental rate has gone up significantly by the time it came out. That is why I never put land in CRP for more than 10 years.

And currently we are in an ag environment we haven't seen since the 80s.... locking in 280+ cash rent for 10 yrs is a great investment

And currently we are in an ag environment we haven't seen since the 80s.... locking in 280+ cash rent for 10 yrs is a great investment

At the moment in this ag environment I can get more for rent than I can CRP, maybe $25 an acre more. If history repeats itself, it will widen in 10 years maybe it won't. What is cash rent there now? Without the pheasant revenue and the chance that I might get some hay in a dry year, CRP would not work for me.

At the moment in this ag environment I can get more for rent than I can CRP, maybe $25 an acre more. If history repeats itself, it will widen in 10 years maybe it won't. What is cash rent there now? Without the pheasant revenue and the chance that I might get some hay in a dry year, CRP would not work for me.

Farm rents are dropping... crp rents are stable yet to come off their highs as they seem to be lagging in the decline. I'm guessing your extra $25 doesn't get locked in for 10 years or offer you "pheasant income "

Sooo I'm confused on the down side... I'd guess $25 an acre extra "pheasant income" wouldn't be too hard to produce. But I'm not in that side of the industry

Farm rents are dropping... crp rents are stable yet to come off their highs as they seem to be lagging in the decline. I'm guessing your extra $25 doesn't get locked in for 10 years or offer you "pheasant income "

Sooo I'm confused on the down side... I'd guess $25 an acre extra "pheasant income" wouldn't be too hard to produce. But I'm not in that side of the industry

Yes the income from pheasant hunting and the probability that I will get some hay out of it maybe two out of ten years and it works. Plus I build organic matter which is a big plus. If I was still going to be alive in ten years I would make a friendly wager as to where the rental rates would be then, my son tells me that new crop corn is higher than last year. In 2020 all my CRP will come out, we will see what the new farm bill looks like then.

YES I profit from $125.00 per acre CRP payment, but not as much as $150.00 per acre cash rent from a farmer. --- it's just simple math. As I said before "we do so because we CAN"

I like the habitat, the wildlife likes the habitat, the hunters like the habitat, but it seems that every time this type of thread comes up someone puts me down for doing it the way I do. SO enough said and I'll just fade away back into the wood work. ;)

YES I profit from $125.00 per acre CRP payment, but not as much as $150.00 per acre cash rent from a farmer. --- it's just simple math. As I said before "we do so because we CAN"

I like the habitat, the wildlife likes the habitat, the hunters like the habitat, but it seems that every time this type of thread comes up someone puts me down for doing it the way I do. SO enough said and I'll just fade away back into the wood work. ;)

Jim I think you have more people that admire you than anything else.

Jim I think you have more people that admire you than anything else.

I second Haymaker's comment, keep doing what you are doing Jim. Hope you have a great Spring and Summer.

Sorry. Im tired of short term temporary programs like CRP. Cash rent goes up, and all the benefits to wildlife dissappear. A big waste of money.Time to spend tax dollars more wisely.Give grants to states and organizations to take erodible lands out of production PERMANENTLY. With the condition that the funds must be escrowed to manage It properly.

Keep doing your thing Jim! ;) Good stuff... :)

Sorry. Im tired of short term temporary programs like CRP. Cash rent goes up, and all the benefits to wildlife dissappear. A big waste of money.Time to spend tax dollars more wisely.Give grants to states and organizations to take erodible lands out of production PERMANENTLY. With the condition that the funds must be escrowed to manage It properly.

As a hunter, I'd agree... but take the hunter out of me and that just doesn't make sense. I wish it did!! Believe me... I do. ;) Very few things in life should ever be made "permanent."

Ok I'm intrigued... please explain more

CRP was a short term solution to a long term problem. Inconsistent crop prices,
And a lack of quality habitat. Take erodible lands out of production long term and price drops start to level out. Use the money to purchase land that should not be farmed. Erodible lands, buffer zones along water ways and lakes, etc..... develop hiking trails, hunting properties, nature areas. One stipulation is the lands must be managed properly. Increased tourism etc... helps to improve tax base. I say it again. CRP IS A SHORT TERM SOLUTION. As soon as crop prices spike up, land goes into production, wildlife benefits are lost, and crop prices fall.
You end up right back where you started!

Voluntary always. Money comes from the farm bill funds we now spend on CRP. Utilizing local entities to come up with projects that will benefit their communities. But they must use some of the grants for long term mgaement. No more public lands devoid of wildlife and full of invasive species.

One other thing. I in no way want to disparage those like Jim who manage their land for the benefit of many. If there were more Jim's, we would be in a better situation. But the fact is there are not. And in many areas the goal is now 100% tillable, with everything tiled. No suitable habitat. Increased run off. Poorer water quality. More flooding. And crop prices that boom and bust. Lose / lose. We need erodible lands to be retired, permanently.

Enlighten me here fellas. Rather than pay private land owners to plant CRP, which most of us cant access, why doesn't the state(s) use the same money that purchases public lands to plant CRP and improve habitat on said land so all sportsman can access it and wildlife can thrive. With so much money raised through hunting and fishing license sales, lottery money, amendments, and other taxes on sportsman you think we could have some pretty nice public hunting land with great habitat for the animals.

One other thing. I in no way want to disparage those like Jim who manage their land for the benefit of many. If there were more Jim's, we would be in a better situation. But the fact is there are not. And in many areas the goal is now 100% tillable, with everything tiled. No suitable habitat. Increased run off. Poorer water quality. More flooding. And crop prices that boom and bust. Lose / lose. We need erodible lands to be retired, permanently.

All land is erodible, some more so than other. Around here some cropland sold for $ 4000 a month ago. CRP pays about $90 dollars so for one acre of purchased land you can have 40 acres of CRP. That is not spending any money on weed control and such. It might be worth it but there will less acres available.

Back