My GSP

Team68

Is this normal? My male GSP poops all the time when we are hunting half the time he doesn't even poop.

Do you feed him before you take him out? If he's got too much food in the ol' intestines it might be messing him up a bit. Sometimes one of my Cockers will do the same thing, but it's generally because they ate too close to their time in the field. If you're not feeding him anywhere close to when you take him in the field, you might look at switching up his food. Hopefully someone else chimes in here...

I would say that most of that is because of excitement. Kinda like myself no sooner do I get into the field/woods just out of sight of the truck and nature calls. Also contrary to what you may think don't feed too close to working your dog as this is a good way to induce bloat if too closelly done to romping in the field. I would bet that most of the time though he is just excited and wouldn't think too much of it. Those birds are fast runners and he is just getting rid of anything that may slow him down;)

Is this normal? My male GSP poops all the time when we are hunting half the time he doesn't even poop.

My buddies male does it all the time. I think it's from sheer excitement, as Hunting4Fun stated. My female will every once in a while.

I've noticed it more in males too. I hunted with 2 male GSP's one day and they were crappin' like crazy until after about an hour in the field. We were hunting a preserve for there film at pheasant fest and to be on the website, so there were a ton of penraised birds plus we got in to a covey of quail on accident and 2 roosters and several raised chuckar. I think all the scent had them going crazy.

My male GSP has always pooped as soon as we get out to the field he is fed the night before and only eats once a day. I always just chalked it up to him being him never thought much about it, very rarely he will poop once we start hunting usually happens as soon as we get to the field and the sun is peeking. I would worry to much about it I think it just lightens the load :) for a good day of working the fields.

Pooper

I've also always chalked it up to excitement. My GSP will make the attempt to poop out hunting 3 to 4 times every hour.

If there is anything to this I would definitely like to know how to remedy.

Thanks for bringing this up. Everytime someone hunts with me for the first time they always give me crap about my dog and his habits:D

When I release Tony he goes only a short distance and he poops. Then is it all out lets 'find the birds" he usually don't do it again........Bob

My dog often does this also. Usually first thing and then about every 45 minutes. Last year it got to the point that when he was doing his deal I'd get ready because it would only be about another 10 steps and then he'd flush a rooster. Coincendence? I dunno. But it hasn't happened so far this year.

my male GSP craps for about 20 min after we get out of the truck, i get crap from all my friends about it as well.

Hahahahaha, I love the topics started on here!!! Ok, here's mine...my GSP sleeps with me when we are on a hunting trip, or by me while at home....She has the WORST gas I have ever experienced, and trust me...I have produced some pretty rank methane! But seriously, is this something that comes with the breed or just her diet? She will run me out of my own bed sometimes!

Last edited:
My aunt and unlce have a boston terrier that has terrible gas. I know they used to put yogurt in her food to help with it. Not a 100% on its effectiveness but it'd be worth looking up for you unfortunate few.

My male GSP has always pooped as soon as we get out to the field he is fed the night before and only eats once a day. I always just chalked it up to him being him never thought much about it, very rarely he will poop once we start hunting usually happens as soon as we get to the field and the sun is peeking. I would worry to much about it I think it just lightens the load :) for a good day of working the fields.

Same here feed in the PM. They get aired out before bed and before first light, this way you have a clean dog afield. feeding in the AM before exercise is not recommend by many. Even food manufactures. Loose stools and other complications are the usual result. Blood in the stool is another common result of a dog hunting with food in the colon.

Back