MT& SD trip

quail hound

Well my brother and I are on the road again to scratch the itch. This is my first quail opener I've missed in 9 years but they'll be there when I get home.

First stop is in Bridger, MT on some family land. The cover is beautiful and the birds are here but this wind has them jumpy despite not being hunted in years.

Black birds are here in swarms.

Our take so far, hopefully we can get a few more in range this afternoon.

Nice photo's, Robert. Not sure climbing around in the rocks would be fun, but you Calif. fellow's have a different take on the hunt.

See you Thursday. Long tail feathers!!

Mid 60s, sun, and medium light winds predicted for all three days, looks like a couple of tough old birds. I will see you fellars' in Dakota del Sur

Ended the day with four roosters but should've easily had limits (Damn guns better be working by SD). :D No sharpies but there should be :confused: and there's rumored to be a covey of huns using the property that also illuded us.:( We will try again tomorrow.

The elk bugling all night long in the hay field next to the camper we stayed in was quite a treat as was the hospitality we were showed by family who has never met us before yesterday.

We did one more quick hunt this morning which netted us some wonderful scenery and three more roosters. Now it's on to SD.

Looks like your having a very good time thus far. Sorry I won't be meeting you and the rest of the guys at Jim's on Thursday. Actually, since I wasn't going to hunt with you Thursday I went ahead and scheduled a colonoscopy for that day. Man, I must really be depressed with Elle being out for the season. :)

Just got done driving for the day and I just have to say that the drive from Crow Agency, MT to Belle Fourche, SD must be the loneliest highway in America. Quite a haul with not much in between.

Holed up in Platte tonight, ready to hunt with Jim tomorrow.:cheers:

Had the great pleasure of hunting with Jim today and reaping the benefit of his continued dedication to providing plenty of quality habitat on the property. The bird numbers speak for themselves. What a treat to hunt with a friend like Jim.

Helped a fine young man harvest his first wild rooster, way to go Aiden!

Met the beautiful Bailey.

Albert.

A wonderful day was had by all. I can't thank Jim enough for the opportunity.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot to report today, just some good guys, good dogs, and good cover. Six guys, seven dogs, six limits, and no lost birds. Missing Tom but it was still just an awesome day!

Not a whole lot to report today, just some good guys, good dogs, and good cover. Six guys, seven dogs, six limits, and no lost birds. Missing Tom but it was still just an awesome day!

Man you guy's are killing me. I am glad it was a good day. Does there seem to be a lot of birds? Glad you and your brother are having a good hunt. I am going in december even if I have to quit my job.

Man you guy's are killing me. I am glad it was a good day. Does there seem to be a lot of birds? Glad you and your brother are having a good hunt. I am going in december even if I have to quit my job.

Wish you were here Tom. Lots of birds, those limits only took two and a half hours.

Limits again for the group today, this place is lousy with birds.

Got to love those springers ; ) hope I do as well. I am in Nebraska headed for Eurika SD in the manning for 6 days hunting. Good luck on the rest of your hunt.

Day four in SD was the toughest yet. It took all day but the group finally got our birds. It's been warm and dry but the dogs did their job and found us birds.

My brother and I before pushing a sorghum plot.

JP pushed a nice 8 point whitetail out of the corn.

The pay off, tired dogs and limits.

Might change it up and try for some sharps in the grasslands tomorrow.:cheers:

Looks like a great time. Got me super jealous here in Missouri. Heading north for the youth hunt this weekend. So hopefully the jealousy turns and hyperactivity turns to tired legs, tired dogs, and birds.

Back