Mixed bag hunters

OKIEGunner

I know that this is a Pheasant hunting forum, but I thought that it would be interesting too see just how many of us have goals for multiple species.

What have you hunted?

What are your future goals and ambitions as it relates to other upland or waterfowl species?

Last edited:
Good Thread Okie,

Pheasants of course,
Quail, Gambels, Scaled, and Mearns, and hopfully someday Bobs, Mountain, California.
Ducks All but Woodies and cans and I'll get one of them some day. Oh I have not hunted or shot any Sea duck. Eiders etc.
Geese canada, snows.
Grouse Sage, praire chickens, Sarptail, and blues.
Sandhill crains
Turkeys need a Rio someday maybe.
Doves white wings, morning, and collard
Chuckers
Huns
Deer, whitetailed, mule deer. I might some day go after a blacktail
Elk
Moose
Pronghorn
I think thats about the list for me.

Will be interesting to read what others Post.:)

I’ve been fortunate enough to have accomplished some great hunting over the years with my Shorthairs on the following species:

Bobwhite Quail, Scaled “Blue” Quail, Pheasant, Lesser Prairie Chicken, Greater Prairie Chicken, Sharpe Tail Grouse, Sage Grouse, Water Fowl Most all Ducks that fly the central flyway, Dove white wings, morning, and collard, Partridge, Wilson Snipe and Common Woodcock.

If old age and health allows; I hope to add the following upland game:
Blue “Dusky” Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Spruce “Franklin” Grouse, White-Tailed, Ptarmigan, Chuckar, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Montezuma Quail.

It wouldn’t be fair if I didn't disclose that an occasional Skunk, Raccoon, Armadillo, cotton tail and wild boar have found themselves at the mercy of the “shorthairs” that I run. They do like furry critters from time to time, especially when bored.

This year I started training the dogs for shed hunting and did fairly well with over 30 finds both Elk Sheds and White-tail.

Last edited:
hey okie i have said this before on here i want so bad on one day to kill a rooster, quail and prarie chicken have them mounted togeather with a cool pic of me and my dog along with the mount,

Lets see:
Pheasant
Sharptail Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
P.chickens
Gambel Quail
Bobwhite Quail
Mearns Quail
Scaled Quail
Mourning Dove
Whitewing Dove
Woodcock
Chukars
Huns
Most waterfowl
Deer/Whitetails and Mule
Elk
Antelope

It's been fun for 59 yrs (my 1st memory was as a 5 yr old retriving a rooster for my dad):)

Last edited:
Good thread Okie.

I'm very lucky to have such an array of upland birds to hunt here. So far all in their wild state and all behind my dogs I have taken; Ca, mountain and gambels quail, pheasants, chukar, sooty grouse, ban tailed pigeons, dove, snipe, and turkeys.

Still on my Ca list are ruffed grouse, sage grouse (hopefully I draw my permit this year), and ptarmigan.

Abroad I would like to hunt mearns, blue and bobwhite quail, huns, and ruffs in da nort. Also ptarmigan in Alaska and a Hawaii hunt for kalij and green pheasants and francolin. Last would be snow cock in the ruby mountains of Nevada.

Jmac, I have a spot where I can get you on pheasants, Ca quail, and a Rio turkey in the same hunt if you don't have any reservations on taking a flushed turkey.:D

Let's start a hunter exchange program. I can put you guys on lots of quail (all three species I hunt).

I have not really hunted anywhere but KS.

I have gotten BW quail, Pheasant and Prairie Chicken pointed and shot.

That leave only Scaled quail for me to get done with the dogs in KS. (had plenty of turkeys pointed too)

But a buddy and I are headed to Montana this fall for a week. Sharptail and Huns are on the list.

I would really like to hunt the rest of the quail, Chukar, and maybe a Sage Hen some day.

I have hunted and killed pheasant, bobwhites, sharp tail, ruffed grouse, ducks, and geese.

I would love to bag a chicken, and have had opportunities, but I am always too slow. I think it is a hen pheasant and pull the gun off my shoulder.

I also would like to hunt huns and chukar one day.

I have killed the following over the point of the same dog:
California Quail
Bobwhite Quail
Chukar Partridge
Ruffled Grouse
Blue Grouse
Sage Grouse
Drake Mallard
Dove

I have also killed:
Rio Grande Turkey
Eastern Turkey (Archery & shotgun)
Canada Goose
Mule Deer (Archery, ML & rifle)
Whitetail Deer (Archery, ML & rifle)
Antelope (Archery)

I would still like to bag:
Elk
Bighorn
Hungarian Partridge
Sharptail Grouse
Scaled Quail
Prairie Chicken
Merriam Turkey
Osceola Turkey

Rut

What a cool idea for a thread!

Bobwhites, pheasants, and greater prairie chickens of course.

Spring gobblers, Spring bearded hens, and Fall hen turkeys.

ALMOST all the typical Kansas waterfowl, and mourning doves.

Whitetail archery and bow.

I would like to shoot a mulie someday and also an elk. Would also like to shoot some kind of predator with my bow- coyote, bobcat, fox? I have taken shots at two different coyotes, but the first one ducked the arrow and the second one saw me just as I was letting the arrow go. Last goal for Kansas would be the elusive pintail duck. I have had them come into the decoys, but it was during goose-only season so I had to pass. I want a pintail really bad.:D

I also would like to shoot all of the above with my kids.:D My oldest daughter has tagged along on a couple successful Spring turkey hunts and thinks hunting is pretty cool.:thumbsup:

I have also hunted black bear and whitetail deer with a bow and gun
Also Ducks – Geese – Ruff Grouse and Phez.
I have shot Coyote – Fox – Crows and prairie dogs
The bird hunting is my favorite and I have given up on the rest for now. Just not enough time. My favorite is to get a mixed bag while hunting and seeing the EP look back and say you pick it up.
IMAG0117.jpg

Goldeneye, what do you think the springers said when this big bastard went down? 10" beard.:cheers:

100MEDIA_IMAG0234.jpg

What's the other bird next to the Phez?

A hen turkey, JP retrieved her no problem. Shooting that tom was a bad idea, we were like 2 miles from the truck.:eek: We also bagged about 10 quail that day that didn't make the pic.

Nice maybe JP needs a back pack to help carry:thumbsup:

Yeah that would've been nice, that sucker wouldn't fit in my game bag.:D

I hope to duck hunt sometime. I would also like to go back to northern Nevada to hunt chukar partridge, but it's a pretty fer piece out there from eastern KS.

I plan on going to Missouri to hunt some Bob's this year. I would also like to go to western North Dakota and hunt Pheasants, Sharptail and Huns all in the same day. I think im going to pull off the Missouri hunt but im im going to be a dad for the first time October 26th........ So ya thats going to make it a little hard to get away for any amount of time this year. I know bad timing but what do ya do.

I have also hunted black bear and whitetail deer with a bow and gun
Also Ducks – Geese – Ruff Grouse and Phez.
I have shot Coyote – Fox – Crows and prairie dogs
The bird hunting is my favorite and I have given up on the rest for now. Just not enough time. My favorite is to get a mixed bag while hunting and seeing the EP look back and say you pick it up.
IMAG0117.jpg
May be you should consider a wet sute or a different breed of dog. ha ha :cheers:

I plan on going to Missouri to hunt some Bob's this year. I would also like to go to western North Dakota and hunt Pheasants, Sharptail and Huns all in the same day. I think im going to pull off the Missouri hunt but im im going to be a dad for the first time October 26th........ So ya thats going to make it a little hard to get away for any amount of time this year. I know bad timing but what do ya do.

Congrats Tbear. Might be about time to pick up a 28ga, perfect first upland gun for a young one plus it sure would be nice for that quail hunt.:D:cheers:

Back