Mixed bag hunters

Steve,

I changed tactics a few years back. I target my late night hunting spots in CRP areas that I know hold PC. Seems to work as I have been fortunate enough to get solid points about an hour or so before sunset. I did not make the trip last year due to the drought. Hopefully that will change this season. I completed the Tri-Upland mixed bag (PC, P, Q) only three times in the same day.

Only 3 times, what the heck is wrong with you :rolleyes: :D
I have only ever had all 3 pointed by the dog one time in my life and that was last season out west. Had the quail and phesants in the vest. Just before sunset in some nice cover Ace pointed, and up came a bird into the setting sun, so I didn't shoot. Then my son and hunting partner yell, "why didn't you shoot that chicken" :(

That is a real accomplishment you have there.

Steve,

I agree the PC is best hunted earlier in the season. But what I have noticed is that they will frequent some of the same CRP for an evening roost. I have a few places that Quail & Pheasant can be taken on the same drop “sometimes”. So I go after them early in the day, and then start focusing on them late fleeing PC's. I wish PC was a legal bird in Oklahoma, as there are a few places that hold fair numbers in the Panhandle region.

I'm thinking a man can get 4-5 species/ sub-species in KS if he is really lucky and willing too burn some gas! Bold and wishful and worth a try.

Steve,

I agree the PC is best hunted earlier in the season. But what I have noticed is that they will frequent some of the same CRP for an evening roost. I have a few places that Quail & Pheasant can be taken on the same drop “sometimes”. So I go after them early in the day, and then start focusing on them late fleeing PC's. I wish PC was a legal bird in Oklahoma, as there are a few places that hold fair numbers in the Panhandle region.

I'm thinking a man can get 4-5 species/ sub-species in KS if he is really lucky and willing too burn some gas! Bold and wishful and worth a try.

Around Manhattan the PC after the early season have really been tough to get pointed. But I have had it happen a time or two during quail and pheasant season. Most of the time you see them get up in a big group 100 yards in front of the dogs that time of year.

I have only got the Lesser PC and Scaled quail left to get in KS. So I thats why I am thinking about at trip to the SW corner of the state.

That will be after my first hunting trip ever out of the state to Monata in October. Hope to add, Sharptail and Huns to the list there :D

Around Manhattan the PC after the early season have really been tough to get pointed. But I have had it happen a time or two during quail and pheasant season. Most of the time you see them get up in a big group 100 yards in front of the dogs that time of year.

I have only got the Lesser PC and Scaled quail left to get in KS. So I thats why I am thinking about at trip to the SW corner of the state.

That will be after my first hunting trip ever out of the state to Monata in October. Hope to add, Sharptail and Huns to the list there :D

Cheyanne County, KS used to have a few Sharptails. Although I have not been hunting up that way in years. I also am hoping for a Montana trip this year if work schedule allows.

Have some "triples". Pheasant, Huns and Sharptails in SD. Quail, Hun and Chukkar-Idaho and Blue Grouse, Quail and Hun in Idaho. If you started high and ended low in Idaho, had a little luck thrown in you could likely add Pheasant, Chuk, Ruff Grouse and have a 5-6 specie day / What do you think Riggs?

i have done the pheasant, hun, chuckar, and once a goose in idaho...i have a place in SD i am hoping to do a phez, hun, sharpie and PC....we will see

So far...

All flushed and shot over the same dog:

Pheasant
Sharp-tail grouse
ruffed grouse
blue grouse
California quail
chukar
dove
hungarian partridge
Canada goose

I think last season was his last :( , but there's a spaniel in my future the good lord willing that I'll get to shoot Prairie Chickens and bobwhites over.

Some pretty impressive lists on here!

Just got duck stamps. Got first stamps last year but did not get to take a shot at a duck. Hoping for the opportunity this year up on my cousin's stretch of the Republican R. in NC KS.

My feathered species bagged list, all wild:

Bobwhite quail (KS)
Gambel's quail (AZ)
Prairie chicken (KS)
Ring-necked pheasant (KS, CO, NE, ND)
Hungarian partridge (NV)
Chukar partridge (NV)
Mourning dove (KS)
Rio grande turkey (KS)
Eastern turkey (KS)
Dusky grouse (CO)

Just got duck stamps. Got first stamps last year but did not get to take a shot at a duck. Hoping for the opportunity this year up on my cousin's stretch of the Republican R. in NC KS.

good thing you found water, rivers will be a magnet this season. :thumbsup:

good thing you found water, rivers will be a magnet this season. :thumbsup:

Great observation. Not having any duck hunting background, I would not have realized that in time of drought rivers will be dominant water spots. Thank you, sir.

Last edited:
My feathered species bagged list, all wild:

Bobwhite quail (KS)
Valley Quail (UT,ID)
Ring-necked pheasant (KS,UT, NE,ID,WYO)
Hungarian partridge (UT,ID)
Chukar partridge (NV,UT,ID)
Mourning dove (UT,ID)
merriams (UT)
Sharptail (UT,ID, WYO)
Sage grouse (UT,ID,WYO)
RuFF grouse (UT, ID)
Blue Grouse (UT, ID)
Spruce Grouse (UT)
pharmagin (AK)

Well, this was a pretty good mixed-bag day
SmallOct11mixedbagV.jpg

I missed a grouse (ruffed) that day as well, or it really would have been a Nova Scotia Grand Slam!
In any give year I may end up hunting, never more than 1-hour drive from my front door:
-Mallards, black ducks, blue and green wing teals, gadwall, pintails, ringnecks, buffleheads, Canada geese
-ruffed grouse
-woodcock
-snipe
-wild pheasants
-white-tail deer

That seems to keep me busy. One of these years I hope to win a moose draw for Cape Breton Island, a 5-hour drive from home.

Enjoying this thread - keep 'em coming!
-Croc

Back