Minnesota Twins

Dakotazeb

Time to start a new thread on the Twins. Based on the way things are going thus far in spring training it looks like we are in for another long season. I can't see where they really made much improvement unless these new pitchers pick it up. Looks like the offense has no power. I see today that Alex Presley, the guy we got in the Justin Morneau trade, was claimed off waivers by Houston. Another great trade by our wonderful GM. :mad:

Sorry to say guys but from what I've seen so far we are looking at another 90 loss season.

Haven't paid much attention to the Twins yet Zeb.

It appears somethings will never change. :rolleyes:

One bright spot though and that is that I heard Paul Molitor is now on the payroll. They should have let Gardy go and gave the managers position to Moly.

I think management concentrated so much on pitching this off season that they forgot about the strikeout record the Twins set last season and the fact they could never get a hit in a clutch situation. They sure didn't do anything to help the offense. Shutout today by the Redsox 4-0. 7 hits and no runs. I think this is what we will a lot of this coming season. Even if the pitchers do a fair job and hold the other team to 3-4 runs we lose because we can't score enough runs. But maybe another 90+ loss season is what it will take to send Gardy, some of his remaining staff and GM Ryan packing.

Not looking good Twins fans.:(

Game 1 in the books Zeb. Thoughts? :D

I think it was probably typical of how the season is going to go. So-so pitching and not a lot of hitting.

Geez.... Zeb. I checked in to see what the score was and saw the Twins leading 5-3. I said.. hey maybe they will squeak one out. Checked back, I dunno may be 45 minutes later and their losing 8-5.

Looks like they're well on their way to 100 losses. It's painful watching this crap..

Guys...guys, guys...for surviving the long haul, you have to accept certain things.

I lived in Chicago for the first 43 years of my life, so, much like a native of the county drinking the water in a foreign country, I've adapted to life without my team's triumph over the rest of the field in the United States ever happening.

Let me help you here:

Live in the moment. Do not look to the future; reality is now. Somewhere in the display on the field, or in the locker rooms, or perhaps, even in the homes of the players...something good is happening. It might be nicely tied shoelaces, a mowed lawn, great line chauking on the field, a positive influence on the community by the tax influx on the team's income, or perhaps, even a life-lesson that helps folks deal with the many things in life we can not control...like tornados, or mosquitos...or customers who really are a complete waste of skin but with whom you must deal congenially, instead of hitting them repeatedly with a nice, brass, hammer.

So...there's that.

and, lemme see here...

oh, ok...the fact that you are paying attention to a baseball team, or game, pretty much guarantees that, at the moment, you are not fighting for your life against a street gang armed with short swords, khukris, and nail-studded two by fours which have been soaked in old motor oil. And that's a good thing, too, I figure.

And then there's the whole philosophical study of Zen, which can help you deal with this reality, and for which you don't, really, have to wear orange robes and shave your hair.

So...there you go...you know...and...uh Go Cubbies! or Twinses.

(actually, what DO you call more than one Twin?)

:D

Guys...guys, guys...for surviving the long haul, you have to accept certain things.

I lived in Chicago for the first 43 years of my life, so, much like a native of the county drinking the water in a foreign country, I've adapted to life without my team's triumph over the rest of the field in the United States ever happening.

Let me help you here:

Live in the moment. Do not look to the future; reality is now. Somewhere in the display on the field, or in the locker rooms, or perhaps, even in the homes of the players...something good is happening. It might be nicely tied shoelaces, a mowed lawn, great line chauking on the field, a positive influence on the community by the tax influx on the team's income, or perhaps, even a life-lesson that helps folks deal with the many things in life we can not control...like tornados, or mosquitos...or customers who really are a complete waste of skin but with whom you must deal congenially, instead of hitting them repeatedly with a nice, brass, hammer.

So...there's that.

and, lemme see here...

oh, ok...the fact that you are paying attention to a baseball team, or game, pretty much guarantees that, at the moment, you are not fighting for your life against a street gang armed with short swords, khukris, and nail-studded two by fours which have been soaked in old motor oil. And that's a good thing, too, I figure.

And then there's the whole philosophical study of Zen, which can help you deal with this reality, and for which you don't, really, have to wear orange robes and shave your hair.

So...there you go...you know...and...uh Go Cubbies! or Twinses.

(actually, what DO you call more than one Twin?)

:D

That would be a twinkie.

BTW it is hard for me to feel bad for a twinkies fan after being a Royals fan for the last 40 years or so:eek::eek::eek:

One thing for sure, the Twinks will probably beat the Royals. A team carrying a lot expectations after last year. I wonder by the all-star game if we will have Shields, he's a free agent next year, if we tank the season in the first two months, the Royal mantra is a fire sale the high dollar assets, and rebuild! Our big signing is last years on base leader in the National League, struck out 40 times.... currently, 9 at bats, 3 strikeouts, no hits, no walks. Just like a lot of National league stars, get to the American League, see real pitching for the first time, a different strike zone, and land with a thud! Verlander, and Sherzer, welcome to the American League.

Actually, I'm not going to blame the current manager and his staff too much, they really have NOTHING to work with. We all know it starts at the top and their commitment to winning. The Cubs are losers because of the same predicament, no commitment by ownership and upper management to field a competitive team.

Best thing that could happen to the Twins is for the Pohlad's to sell the team to an ownership who isn't simply satisfied with mediocrity and we DON'T even have that at the moment. I doubt that will happen though, but it really does start at the top.

The Twins philosophy has always been to develop players within their own farm system and not go after the big free agent signings that could make a huge and immediate impact. The problem is that when we do develop the rare farm system project and they become respectable, we don't keep them for very long. The Twins have a long laundry list of quality players they have released in the last 3 years that if they would have kept half of them, I am certain that we would be in a different predicament right now.

Michael Cuddyer and Tori Hunter are just a couple of prime examples of team leaders that we never should have let go, but they did and wouldn't pony up to keep them.

Last edited:
Actually I'm quite surprised by the Twins offense the first three games. They scored a total of 19 runs (6.3 per game). Even with mediocre pitching if they can average 6 runs a game they might actually win a few. Of course, it's very early and 3 games don't make a season. Right now Pelfrey has a no-hitter going into the 5th inning at Cleveland.

Well! I jinxed the crap out of that. First batter in the 6th goes deep. Then a walk, a sacrifice bunt and another dinger. It went fro 2-0 Twins to 3-2 Indians in a hurry.

Well that was a wild game with the A's today. You can thank our new "closer" Jim Johnson for trying to hand the twinks that game. Johnson is a scrub, alot of Oakland fans are wishing we had Balfour back right about now.

Well we should find out a bit about both teams this weekend when the Royals come to town. Our starting pitching has been stellar, bullpen has been shaky at times and offense is struggling. Moustakas got is first hit last night ( a single). Went 0-4 today and is now 1-28 on the season:eek:. Hey we did finally get a home run today, our first of the year. :thumbsup:

Well we should find out a bit about both teams this weekend when the Royals come to town. Our starting pitching has been stellar, bullpen has been shaky at times and offense is struggling. Moustakas got is first hit last night ( a single). Went 0-4 today and is now 1-28 on the season:eek:. Hey we did finally get a home run today, our first of the year. :thumbsup:

Moose needs to ride the bench or go down to AAA or AA to figure out how to hit, go the eye dr etc. My patience is wearing thin with him. Though I dont remember how many years they (the Royals brass) stuck behind Alex Gordon. It wasnt until 2-3 years ago after 4-5 years of complete cowcrap performance when he finally got the bat out of his ass. I was ready to go up and choke him to death in his sleep so we didnt have to see his miserable butt choke every time he came up to bat.

Our pitching will do fine as long as Collins and Bueno arent down for the long haul. Glad Gio is getting a chance finally and sick to my stomach when Omar was hit by a pitch.

Hoping for a Royals sweep this weekend and Im hoping the bats are finally coming to life after today.

Hijacking the twinkies thread but theres not much to talk about regarding them so its ok.

Another stellar start by the Twins starting rotation! :( Pelfrey goes 5 innings and gives up 6 earned runs. His ERA is now 7.84 So much for an improved starting rotation. Nolasco 9.00 ERA, Correia 6.17 ERA, Hughes 7.20 ERA. Only Gibson with a 1.80 ERA, and the Twins only starting pitcher with a win, looks like he belongs in the bigs. All this hype about how the Twins have improved their starting pitching and thus far it's worse than last year.

Now let's look at some of the reliever's ERA's: Perkins 7.20, Fein 7.36, Deduno 5.40, Burton 9.00 & Swarzak 13.50.

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe our pitching coach SUCKS???? :eek:

Another 90+ loss season is in the bag. I'm betting on 100!

I love when the A's visit Minnesota, its nice to get in the extra bp. :cheers:

Back