Messed Up Hunt--Dissappointed At Myself

did they pay the lodge or the game warden?

it depends.. if that lodge is registered on bird watching. i mean some lodges have preserve license and have to report all birds that are non game birds to game fish and park for their annual reports.. i dunno much about them, all i know is you cant be fined unless you got more than your usual quota.

as far as shooting a hen, i dont hear much of it other than illegal of too many birds on a truck or at a cleaning bird place.

there is a game warden RIGHT in Presho so yah they keep tabs on every lodges. when the season comes... their numbers of wardens increase til the season is over.

and I could be wrong! i will check into it though...
for each bird over quota or in transit such of hens.. would be 100.00 per bird in the violation.

Last edited:
Youre allowed to CLIP wings but youre not allowed to take the bird itself if its been hit by a truck. doesnt matter if it has bullets or doesnt hav bullets. its illegal. you may clip wings as some people use it for dog training.

same as a buck that got hit by a semi truck, you cant saw off horns.. even if it was the BIGGEST rack there was, you CAN NOT saw off the horns. if you shot it, different story...

so again, its illegal. if you hit one, youre better off leaving it. even if it was a rooster and you are short of your quota, i wouldnt take a pheasant that hit your truck.

Then I assume...which is dangerous..he he..that if I hit a doe with my truck during a buck only deer season...it would be illegal to take it home?

Very.. once you hit a deer.. i assume youre gonna call the sheriffs or police to report your accident bc this is no fender bender when you hit a deer. most times, if a game warden is called at the same time as the accident report is done, he will take it and get it processed for the hunger or homeless food shelters.

A few years ago in central Iowa my buddy and I were hunting ditch with buffer strips on each side. The ditch was about a mile long and we were working into the wind and my wife was blocking at the end of the ditch. We saw a bird we thought was a hen flush and fly her way then drop. Neither of us heard a shot and didn't see her lift her gun but we could see the bird fall. When we got to the end of the ditch I gave her a hard time about shooting a hen. She curtly informed me it hit the powerline and fell and that she wasn't a hen shooter!!! I kind of pissed her off! I went over and the hen was still alive. We put it in the ditch under some cover and when we came by there a few hours later she was gone. I always wondered if she survived?

Very.. once you hit a deer.. i assume youre gonna call the sheriffs or police to report your accident bc this is no fender bender when you hit a deer. most times, if a game warden is called at the same time as the accident report is done, he will take it and get it processed for the hunger or homeless food shelters.
I been known to make sure I abide by hunting regulations...but since both situations I mentioned...didnt involve hunting...obviously leads to confusing situations. When I look at the book it says Hunting and Fishing regulations, that is why I asked the questions. Didnt say driving regulations. On a side note regarding calling the authorities....my friend hit a nice buck...messed up his car..he called the State Police...I got there at the same time to pick him up while his car was towed...Policeman named...lets say Jeff...said the deer would be taken away for the homeless shelter. Two weeks later I sat next to a guy at Waffle House and overheard how his cousin Jeff had a nice buck sent to him to process. Kinda wished I hadnt asked the question now.

Here in KS if a deer or a turkey is hit on the road you can call either a sheriff or a game warden and a salvage tag can be issued. Only then can you take the carcass home and process it. Sometimes I have heard of the warden or sheriff calling an individual to come pick the carcass up and process it for the needy, if the original person does not want it. I'm not sure if you can do that for any other kind of game or if it matters seeing as how you must have a deer or turkey tag to hunt them. And I don't think anyone would bother with calling the warden if they hit a pheasant or rabbit to get a salvage tag. I dont think there would be any good meat left if a small animal was hit by a vehicle anyways. I know I wouldn't waste my time.

I can tell you from first hand experience, do not hit them with your truck. Like an idiot , I saw a rooster on the side of the road and when I went by I honked the horn, It flew into my head light and caused 400 dollars damage. Dumbazz:eek:

Bilbo--

With the way that you limit out every time you go hunting I will be very disappointed in you if you ever post that you killed a hen. Your 20/10 vision has to be so precise that I bet you can see the doggone roosters color with your eyes almost closed.

I passed on a number of good shots over the years because I was not sure the pheasant was a rooster. Sometimes the bird flies directly into the sun and it is hard to figure out what it was until it turns a little. I probably passed on five or six great shots just this year because I was not SURE. I have worn glasses the past twenty years but go without them when hunting. I don't like when they get flogged up. I never said a bad word about a hunter accidentally shooting a hen or when someone's dog catches a hen while out hunting. I get disappointed when I hear a story like that from the field but things happen if you know what I mean. If I do accidentally shoot a hen in the future, I will be sure to turn myself into you for a tongue lashing if necessary. I hope you have a great off season until this fall.

I passed on quite a few gimme shots this year because I wasn't 100% sure it was a rooster for one reason or another (usually the blinding sun or early-morning low-light conditions). Could've kicked myself several times when I finally did get a positive I.D. just a little too far out of range, but would have kicked myself much harder if I had rushed the shot & wound up downing a hen...But hey, don't be too hard on yourself man, it happens to the very best! I would have something totally different to say if you had a regular habit of shooting first & doing the I.D. work afterward!!!

As to a dog catching a bird once in awhile, who can really do anything about that (especially with a hard working flusher)?...My golden caught a hen & killed her deader than a doornail before I even saw it coming a few years back in ND. Made me sick to my stomach to have to do so, but I hid it in a bush & walked away - because I wasn't about to get caught with it in the bag!...My lab caught a hen this year on one of those brutal days with subzero temps & fresh snow, but he has a really soft mouth & when I commanded him to "leave it", he let her go & she flew away unscathed!

I got chewed out for letting a bird go. It cackled as it got up but I saw a hen.. My two hunting partners said it was a rooster. I didn't shoot a bird on that whole trip but still glad I let it go, because IMO it was a hen.

Don't let it bother you, it was a mistake. Those things can happen. There's no 100% guarantee in any activity of being mistake free....LOL

Onpoint

Last edited by a moderator:
Back