May ditch the vest...belt opinions welcome.

JMc

Super Moderator
I have tried all types and styles of vests including WingWorks. I ditched the vest this past weekend and wore a cheap game belt and liked it. Shouldered the gun much better. Carried shells, water and even a phez and had no issues. So, any of you wear a belt and if so, suggestions or comments?

I am all belt all the time now.

Mine carries quail quite nicely and will carry a pheasant in the bag but only 1. so I have 2 plastic "Pheasant Neckers" that are made of hard plastic and clip on the belt. They will each carry a rooster by the neck quite nicely.

Can't help with the belt concept, but for the last couple of decades, I've used various iterations of a Game Bag to tote shells, pheasants, rabbits, ducks and squirrels in my little neck of the woods. I don't know how the technique would work for vast expanses or huge daily limits, nor, really, if you carried food stuffs for yourself while you hunted, but for a two-a-day pheasant limit, three rabbits (back when I hunted them), and three or so squirrels, a dozen or so shells, a sheath knife, a bottle of water for the dog, a steel comb, a small stash of toilet paper, and a line to use as a leash, they've worked well for me.

Now I had many hunting coats, but the weather fluctuations in the Mid-west mandated either under garments that burst the buttons, or some outer garment that covered the pockets of the hunting jacket. So, I just dressed in layers for the day and tossed the game bag over the whole ensemble.

As I've aged, I've even got separate bags for 20ga and 12ga, and for upland birds, or for waterfowl. Not because I needed them, but it was easier for me.

I offer it for your consideration. None of my bags were made for the purpose, just long strap shoulder bags from resale shops or, occasionally, from eBay.

Best wishes.

I just received my Q5 belt and I think it's going to work well for me. Off the bat it is much more comfortable than the inexpensive one I used last year. Plenty of d-rings to attach my GPS. The only revisions I may make is to go with the magnum shell pocket and add a Gear Tether, but haven't decided yet. It's heavy duty but the game bag may be a little small for a limit of pheasants, which, as poorly as I have been shooting has not been an issue.

I switched to a belt 20 years ago and it really has helped my back. Those long days walking and nothing pulling on your shoulders sure keeps my lower back from hurting. I usually just buy the Redhead belt from Bass Pro $14 or so. Works great for quail. Pheasants I can hold one or two, but gives me an excuse to make my son carry them in his vest!!!!

Q5 Belt is nice. It really takes pressure off of my shoulders, neck, and back. Can only carry 2 Pheasants.

Well, I may have committed blasphemy as I have taken my brand new Filson vest and cut it up. I have a guy that does outstanding leather work and here is the plan. The bird bag from the back of the vest will be cut down with loops added. The shell pockets will get belt loops as well. A few other items added to belt and bingo, I'll have a custom bird belt. He said he will fit it into his other work so probably summer before it's ready. I'll post pics when done.

Check out this bird belt from Cabelas that I have. It's inexpensive and works good. I can't find it on their site anymore but I did recently see a similar one in there store here in AZ. The belt is a little whimpy so you may need to replace it with a good leather belt.

View attachment 8106

That's what I'm doing with my Filson vest but only adding one shell pocket on one side. Adding a water bottle holder and a ecollar holder on the other. If it's still available at your local store, snag it and I'll send you some $$$. I haven't cut the vest yet, just got it all marked with wax pencil.
Jim

Last edited:
Check out this bird belt from Cabelas that I have. It's inexpensive and works good. I can't find it on their site anymore but I did recently see a similar one in there store here in AZ. The belt is a little whimpy so you may need to replace it with a good leather belt.

View attachment 8106

I have had that belt for many years, also use it for shooting trap. It has held up very well, I'd like to find another.

I have a very similar bag from Outdoor Connection. $28 and very well made except for the belt. The plastic buckle broke immediately and I just put in my own belt. I also added a pair of loggers suspenders from Savers for a couple bucks. You have to improvise when you get fat.

I have a very similar bag from Outdoor Connection. $28 and very well made except for the belt. The plastic buckle broke immediately and I just put in my own belt. I also added a pair of loggers suspenders from Savers for a couple bucks. You have to improvise when you get fat.

This one ?

game bag

Back