Looking for SXS where to start.

I am looking for a sxs shotgun but do not know where to start. Ideally the gun would have a English (straight) stock. I don't have a preference on single or double triggers. The gun must also be compatible with steel shot so I can use it on properties that require steel. Budget is under $2000.00

So far I am considering a Dickinson, CZ bobwhite, or a used Browning BSS.

Am I missing missing any other options?

Is the Browning BSS steel shot compatible?

Thanks for the help.

I've never handled a Ruger Gold Label, but they sure look nice.

Just checked the prices on line, I guess $2000 won't find one.

Last edited:
You didn't say what gauge you are looking at. I've owned 2 Browning BSS shotguns in my life, a 12 ga. and a 20 ga. They are built like a tank but I'm not sure about the steel shot. I would think if the gun is choked IC/Mod and you don't shoot shot larger than #4 you would be safe. But I'd make a call to Browning and ask them. I did a little searching on the web and couldn't come up with an answer.

If you are looking at a 12 ga. the BSS is quite heavy. Probably in excess of 8 lbs.

If you've never shot a SxS before I'd say start with a cz Bobwhite. If you know you love shooting SxS the go for the Dickinson.:thumbsup:

RunRoosterRun?

I've got an old sxs AYA for Sears model 100 or 106, 12ga, honed to imp cyl and modified for sale down at the gun shop now.

You might look around at some of the Stevens or the like. They made one heck of a gun, and you can get one MUCH cheaper than the high-priced spread.

I just did a Forum search and most of the posts seem to agree with me that steel shot in size four and smaller have little or no effect on older barrels. I couldn't find a definitive statement by any testing authority.

Were I in your position, I'd see if I liked the style before making a much bigger investment.

Best wishes. Looking for a new gun is a bit like hunting. Have fun.

sxs

I like you have been dabbling around and talked the local shop down to 425 on a Miroku Model 500, double triggers and chopper lump barrels, it is made by the folks who made the BSS eventually, at a fraction of the price. If I need parts it could be a different story. Good luck with you search.

If you've never shot a SxS before I'd say start with a cz Bobwhite. If you know you love shooting SxS the go for the Dickinson.:thumbsup:

I was in the same boat. Not sure if I would get along with a SxS, so I went with a CZ "jons" Upland. It is basically a bobwhite with a silver receiver. $500 from Jons Sport Shop on gunbroker. It has been a great gun and comes with CZ's 5yr warranty.

Starter S/S = SKB

Take a look at the SKB's. Available in several configurations, steel shot compatible and available for well under 1K. I seem to recall the early models had chrome lined barrels? Pretty much bulletproof design.

The older models started with the 100,200 and 250, with increasing added features with each higher grade. The M280 had a SG/small BT ie :"English" style; I had one of those in a 20GA with 3"chambers and killed a lot of gun club pheasants with it when we lived in the East. I believe all those models were imported by Ithaca at that time.

IMHO an older SKB is the pick of the litter for a starter S/S.

Last edited:
I'll second the Ithaca/SKB sxs guns. My opinion they are alot more svelt than a BSS, and felt just a bit "tighter" than the CZs. Very underrated gun. I shot steel through mine without issue or worry.

Something just doesn't quite "come up right" for me on the CZs, but thats purely personal fit. I'm sure they are good guns and choke tubes would be reeeal nice.

I shoot an Ithaca 200E and it is a great gun. For a straight stock you'll need to go to the 280E. Those are a little bit more rare, but it sholdn't take too long to find one. They're also a little more expensive than the 200E and the 100. Be aware, though, that these guns tend to have a lot of drop. I bought mine intended to have it bent to fit, so i didn't really check. It definitely had too much drop for me before it was bent.

The uggies imported by LCS are in your price range and might be worth a look. Not sure if the lower grades can be had with an straight grip.

All of the Ithica/ SKB's I've handled have seemed clunky to me, maybe it was because they were all beaver tail fore ends that I don't really care for.

My brother shoots a new (5yrs old) Steven's 312 that was cheap, around $500 otd, that is nicely built for the price. Decent fit and finish, good sharp checkering (better than my Cz's), nice weight and balance, choke tubes, and after having a firing pin replaced it goes bang every time the trigger is pulled.

Well I would be remiss if I didn't chime in on this topic. If you are looking for a SxS with straight grip double trigger the Bobwhite is a good entry level gun. If you want a single trigger with a straight grip then the Ringneck straight grip 06115. It is discontinued but there are still some available out there. With that said here is a little info on CZ shotguns. If you wish for more info please PM me.

1) CZ shotguns are built on gauge specific frames
2) Barrels are chrome lined and Steel shot is fine with Mod and IC chokes.
3) Warranty is 5 years and all work done here in Kansas City Kansas.
4) All O/U and SxS are cast to the right 1/4 at the heel and 7/16 at the toe(approx.)
5) All guns are good for 23/4 and 3in loads.
6)Factory trigger pull is 7lb. If over it can be taken down to 7lbs under warranty.
7) guns have mechanical selective triggers.

Thanks,

Kick'em Up
CZ-USA Prostaff

Last edited:
Well I would be remiss if I didn't chime in on this topic. If you are looking for a SxS with straight grip double trigger the Bobwhite is a good entry level gun. If you want a single trigger with a straight grip then the Ringneck straight grip 06115. It is discontinued but there are still some available out there. With that said here is a little info on CZ shotguns. If you wish for more info please PM me.

1) CZ shotguns are built on gauge specific frames
2) Barrels are chrome lined and Steel shot is fine with Mod and IC chokes.
3) Warranty is 5 years and all work done here in Kansas City Kansas.
4) All O/U and SxS are cast to the right 1/4 at the heel and 7/16 at the toe(approx.)
5) All guns are good for 23/4 and 3in loads.
6)Factory trigger pull is 7lb. If over it can be taken down to 7lbs under warranty.
7) guns have mechanical selective triggers.

Thanks,

Kick'em Up
CZ-USA Prostaff

So not left hander friendly ?

I agree with all said about the Brownings. They did make a straight stock, splinter forearm, model with false sideplates, ie boxlock, not sidelock. I have seen this rather rare version on maybe two occasions, did not handle. Rather spendy as few as were made. I do not like beavertails either. What is seldom mentioned is the Winchester 23, which tends to get a little spendy. Nice for what you might call a moderate to expensive gun when talking sxs.
All of these--BSS, SKB, WIN 23 were made in Japan with modern steel and should be able to handle steel shot up to 4-3 shot? The only catch 22 is if you are shooting full you are usually considering larger shot and or ducks. I shoot up to #2 in ic for late season pheasant otherwise sticking to 3&4.
A CZ with ic/mod would seem to be a good place to start.

Gauge choice is a matter of preference but I'd say get a 20 and don't look back.

I have a 20ga. Bobwhite 28" barrels for sale in the classifieds here.
Like new, 25 rds. through it.

Back