Looking for a new to me 28 gauge. Reccomendations.

Bob Peters

Hey, I'm looking for a more sporting challenge and really want to get into a small bore. Hitting with that twelve is too easy for me, no skill at all. And my 16 and 20, whenever I kill with them I feel like a low-brow knuckle dragger. A real cave man, shall we say. Yes the 28 it is, a real gentleman's gun. I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, hunting with it, or telling everyone I know I'm hunting with it. "Hits like a 12 and carries like a buggy whip," I'll proclaim. "Magic," I'll say as I drop my first bird with it, a rooster so young, he's still got egg shell on his head. Yes maybe late season I'll even bring it up to the highline and try the new pheasant ranches popping up in Montana. Or if my pal Richie insists we chase wild birds, I've got some high end shells that'll really do the trick. I'll be cleaning up behind these hicks out shooting their 12 gauge hand cannons. Never mind these 3" 28 gauge high brass super-magnums are stuffed with enough shot to make an old English 12 gauge best gun look like a pea shooter in comparison. Yup, this 28 gauge is gonna be a real shooter for sure! Although perhaps it's a little too much gun.... Anyone recommend a good .410 for pheasants?

I'm pressed for time now, need to run and look at a new litter of English setters! I will check back!

P.S. I couldn't help but add this action shot of me in the field.
Image_8-16-23_at_8.24_PM.jpg

I love my Uggie S x S, a grade 1…and my Red Label….and my Parker Repro…have used the Uggie the most, by far. Used the Red Label for sharpies and huns in September…loved it!

Hey, I'm looking for a more sporting challenge and really want to get into a small bore. Hitting with that twelve is too easy for me, no skill at all. And my 16 and 20, whenever I kill with them I feel like a low-brow knuckle dragger. A real cave man, shall we say. Yes the 28 it is, a real gentleman's gun. I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, hunting with it, or telling everyone I know I'm hunting with it. "Hits like a 12 and carries like a buggy whip," I'll proclaim. "Magic," I'll say as I drop my first bird with it, a rooster so young, he's still got egg shell on his head. Yes maybe late season I'll even bring it up to the highline and try the new pheasant ranches popping up in Montana. Or if my pal Richie insists we chase wild birds, I've got some high end shells that'll really do the trick. I'll be cleaning up behind these hicks out shooting their 12 gauge hand cannons. Never mind these 3" 28 gauge high brass super-magnums are stuffed with enough shot to make an old English 12 gauge best gun look like a pea shooter in comparison. Yup, this 28 gauge is gonna be a real shooter for sure! Although perhaps it's a little too much gun.... Anyone recommend a good .410 for pheasants?

I'm pressed for time now, need to run and look at a new litter of English setters! I will check back!

View attachment 6750
Goosemaster, I suspect?

Nice Bob, another upscale squirrel hunter. Do you need more pelts for a squirrel vest?? Pants, vest, gloves, hat and maybe a jock strap where the squirrel might hide his nuts. Great form.

Last edited:
Don’t forget your Gucci Yukon to get to the pheasant ranch.
Still havent found that version, maybe it's the Denali Yukon?!

Last edited:

View attachment 6750
Must be old action shot with your never miss 12...lol🤣

View attachment 6750
Looking sharp Bob!

View attachment 6750
Harris tweed

Supposedly that was in 1893. Lots of changes since then
Don't be so sure. I'm pretty sure the current recipe is very close, if not identical to the "blue ribbon" beer. I know that Schlitz is finally back to it's original recipe, at least the Schlitz you get in WI is. It was the most popular beer in the world but the kids and grandkids ruined it.

The original is pretty good. Reminds me a little of Budweiser but with more taste and body. probably because they use corn and not rice.

Back