Looking for a new to me 28 gauge. Reccomendations.

Just curious. What would say is the absolute max range for these:

View attachment 6837
I used those in my first trip this year to SD and they were great out of my 1100 out to 35 to 40 yds. In fact ordered more for my trip coming up.

I've never shot Boss or anything like it before only lead, I'm telling you from 30 years of personal experience that the 28 will not CONSISTANTLY kill anything at 40 yards. If you try you better have a good dog!! Hears the deal, a 28 with a full choke barrel or a 20 2 3/4 for that matter are barely ok at 30. The bird gets up... He's killable... but by the time you get the trigger pulled he's gained a few yard... boom he goes down with his head up and a broken wing. We all know the rest of the story. You shoot the 28 or 20 only shoot birds that get up at your feet!!

So Goose, when shooting the 20ga Winchester Super X 1oz of #5s @ 1220fps versus the Winchester Super X 28ga 1oz of #5s @ 1205fps, is it the extra bore diameter of .065” that the 20ga (.615”) has over the 28ga (.550”) that gives the 20ga another 10 yards of maximum range?

Or is it the extra 15fps that gives the 20ga another 10 yards of maximum range?

I've never shot Boss or anything like it before only lead, I'm telling you from 30 years of personal experience that the 28 will not CONSISTANTLY kill anything at 40 yards. If you try you better have a good dog!! Hears the deal, a 28 with a full choke barrel or a 20 2 3/4 for that matter are barely ok at 30. The bird gets up... He's killable... but by the time you get the trigger pulled he's gained a few yard... boom he goes down with his head up and a broken wing. We all know the rest of the story. You shoot the 28 or 20 only shoot birds that get up at your feet!!
Honest feedback from a first person account......thank you

I've already lost 3 birds with the 28, and not real long shots.

I consistently kill birds at 40 with a 20 gauge IC choke. The key is, when you can, get out front. shoot them where they're going not where they've been. Sometimes they don't provide you the angle you need to hit the head? When that happens even a 12 gauge doesn't get the job done a lot of the time. Doesn't matter what gauge your shotgun is....if you put a #5 in the dome? That head will drop and It's over.

On Thanksgiving I poured a PBR in a couple glasses and took them to a couple family members who are beer snobs. Told them I found a new beer and wanted them to try it. They loved it and about fell over when I told them it was PBR....HAHAHA

I consistently kill birds at 40 with a 20 gauge IC choke. The key is, when you can, get out front. shoot them where they're going not where they've been. Sometimes they don't provide you the angle you need to hit the head? When that happens even a 12 gauge doesn't get the job done a lot of the time. Doesn't matter what gauge your shotgun is....if you put a #5 in the dome? That head will drop and It's over.

On Thanksgiving I poured a PBR in a couple glasses and took them to a couple family members who are beer snobs. Told them I found a new beer and wanted them to try it. They loved it and about fell over when I told them it was PBR....HAHAHA
If only they made a lite..

Who would hunt pheasants without a good dog? I can can count on one hand the number of of lost birds in have had in the last ten years. Typically hunting ditches with filter strips so long narrow cover. Runner get found. And in my experience, the guys shooting the 12s are the ones who wound rather than kill.

Back