Looking for a new to me 28 gauge. Reccomendations.

And in my experience, the guys shooting the 12s are the ones who wound rather than kill.
So the implication is it's the guns fault? 🙃. If those same guys shot a subgauge they'd suddenly kill birds instead of wounding them? If fit, balance, carry, etc. are all equal the larger bore throws a better pattern period. A better pattern kills better when the shooter does their part.

So the implication is it's the guns fault? 🙃. If those same guys shot a subgauge they'd suddenly kill birds instead of wounding them? If fit, balance, carry, etc. are all equal the larger bore throws a better pattern period. A better pattern kills better when the shooter does their part.

Well it could be the guns fault because it leads my ill-shooting friends to miss shots that I usually do not with a lighter gauge gun. Or it could be that trying to aim a gun with a barrel as large as a baseball bat is harder. Could be lots of reasons!

Yeah I think the 28 is not enough gun for pheasants late season. I've lost 4 with my new 28.Have not lost any with the 12.Lost 2 with the 16.

Save that 28 for barnyard pigeons, squirrels, and skeet shooting. Bring the 12 when you go for pheasants. That way you'll stop wounding half the roosters in Montana.
I've fired my 20ga exactly 11 times this season. 9 birds in the bag. the two misses were on a Hail Mary bird that was already missed by 3 other people and was out over a cut bean field and i knew out of range, but shells are cheap!

I've fired my 20ga exactly 11 times this season. 9 birds in the bag. the two misses were on a Hail Mary bird that was already missed by 3 other people and was out over a cut bean field and i knew out of range, but shells are cheap!
I have an old 1970 Ithaca s×s that I shoot well.20 ga.Its a beater shotgun,but I've always shot it well.It has 26 inch,fixed choke,mod.full.Thus 28 is really cool, and I shoot it well, but it does not anchor birds, even at 20 yards.jesus!!

I should have fired the second barrel,I was so surprised he ran off.Close in flush on a big rooster.Modified choke,5 shot, 7/8 oz.Dumped hard.So I have to be closer than 15 yards? Jesus

I have an old 1970 Ithaca s×s that I shoot well.20 ga.Its a beater shotgun,but I've always shot it well.It has 26 inch,fixed choke,mod.full.Thus 28 is really cool, and I shoot it well, but it does not anchor birds, even at 20 yards.jesus!!
This is what I'm breaking out.17024023044556524857765638494505.jpg

I’ve only hunted with a 28 gauge this season and lost a single pheasant. I wouldn’t say I shoot lights out, that the 28 gauge is gods gift to the uplands, or that my dog is the worlds most amazing bird dog (it’s his second season and he doesn’t turn two until the end of January). I will say I shoot extremely well with my 28 on shots under 30 yards (and probably further) on birds that my dog is able to hold point on, which means more often than not I’m actually waiting for the bird to get out a bit further so I don’t blow it to smithereens. I also like the fact that my 28 is a SxS so I can leave it broken open over my shoulder which prevents me shooting wild flushing/missed/bumped (which, to brag about my dog for a second, has become less and less of an occurrence as the season has gone on) birds out of blood lust. I don’t think it’s the world’s greatest gauge or that I’m a better hunter because I use it but I shoot it extremely well, know its limitations, and my dog and I have a blast and that’s ultimately what matters. If I had a flushing dog as opposed to a pointing dog, the 28 would most likely never get brought out for pheasants but I don’t so it works great for how my dog and I hunt. Use what you shoot well with and what works for you and your dog and who really gives a shit about what anyone else thinks?

Damn aren't you guys about done with the 28 gage horse hockey. It ain't enough gun for most people to kill roodies, the average guy needs a12 gage and a open choke. Ok we can move to something else now.
Yeah I agree.Not enough power.Maybe 20 yard range,maybe less.I may try it one more time on rooost.I found some federal shells today.19 bucks.1 oz. 5 shot. My dog gives me the stink eye when she sees it.

You can't be more on target than me. I never loose birds with the 12.The 28 and the 16 I do.The 20 not many.No, I think I need a 1 oz. Load with the 28.
You are questioning the ability of a 28ga to put down a rooster DRT at 15 yards.

If you have trouble killing a pheasant at 15 yards with a 28ga (even with 7/8oz of 5s ) it’s not a problem with the gauge.

There’s gotta be another reason. Gun fit? Are you a tall guy shooting a short stocked Italian 28, with your eye sitting high over the rib?

Not patterning the gun with the chokes and loads you are using?

You just didn’t center the pattern on the bird?

Lifting your head off the stock? Something.

Because centering the 28ga pattern ON the bird at 15 yards will definitely put their beak permanently in the dirt.

Back