Looking for a new quail recipe

RoosterTim

I'm looking for a new recipe for quail breast. Does anybody have a recipe that they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a new recipe for quail breast. Does anybody have a recipe that they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

cooked slowly in an iron skillet, salt, pepper, maybe a pinch of garlic but as they are nearly done, smother them in apricot. if you don't have them fresh to squish then jam works just as well

cheers

I typically saute mine in butter and olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. Splitting them cuts down on cooking time with less crustiness on the surface. BTW, those quail legs are very tasty and not at all sinewy or livery tasting like pheasants'.

1 cup orange marmalade,
2 cups orange juice,
1/4 cup soy sauce,
1/4 cup brown sugar,
chopped candied jalapenos to taste

Mix together and reduce in a saucepan til thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Grill over indirect heat, baste 3-4 times during cooking process. Smoked sea salt and black pepper to taste. Great on dove and quail breasts, but I prefer it with plucked birds. So far have done it with quail, pheasant, prairie chicken, and ducks, all have been awesome.

Go to honestfoods.net and search the General Taos pheasant recipe and substitute quail, you won't be disappointed. :cheers:

All those recipes sound really good. We usually just cut back bone out and season with salt and pepper and put in crockpot. Add a can of cr?me of mushroom to cover and cook on low. Then make rice and serve quail over rice.

I typically saute mine in butter and olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. Splitting them cuts down on cooking time with less crustiness on the surface. BTW, those quail legs are very tasty and not at all sinewy or livery tasting like pheasants'.

Amen! A quail needs no help at all in the kitchen. My young teen girls gather them up in the field, return home clean them by themselves, and they are gone! I get a decent portion of pheasant and grouse....ducks we invite company. Better have sharp fork to get a helping of quail.

All those recipes sound really good. We usually just cut back bone out and season with salt and pepper and put in crockpot. Add a can of cr?me of mushroom to cover and cook on low. Then make rice and serve quail over rice.

This is my old stand by. But I hope I get enough this year to try them all. Keep them coming

When I hunt a lot and do not feel like cooking, I put four quail breasts in stove top dressing and bake for 45 minutes.

Our stand by recipe is a simple "chicken fried" quail served with mashed potatoes and gravy and sweet peas or a pea salad (ice burg lettuce, a can of peas, and a simple mayonnaise and vinegar dressing).:cheers:

Great post everyone!! Loving this thread. We have had quail about every way possible, so thank you all for more recipes for us to try!

Here is a super easy Italian recipe.

Whole Quail breast with bone in. I place in a small freezer bag one at a time and pound them flat with the back of a sturdy pan. 1 maybe two whacks.

Put them all in the same bag. Add some extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh chopped garlic and chopped rosemary. (you can omit the garlic, but nothing else.)

Grill over a hot fire until browned and that's it. I start on the bone side and finish on the meat side to give it good grill marks. Great appetizer.

Mine is similar to one above. I clean my quail by splitting them down the back after skinning. I brown them in the skillet then transfer to a baking dish. I put them in breast down and add a mixture of cream of chicken soup and milk at a 1:1 mix to cover. Bake for about an hour at 325-350 and hope the wife and kids don't get involved. Mashed potatoes for the gravy left after cooking. A nice veggie is good too.

I just tried this one with pheasant, but you can use quail, bone in or out.
1 Jar of salsa - We had homemade salsa in a ball jar.
1 Jar of black bean and corn salsa.
1 can of black beans (strained and washed)
1 can of cream corn
Mix all in a crockpot on high for 4 hours. Can also do low for about 7-8, but have to watch it more on low.

We also just made a white pheasant lasanga.
For that we browned the pheasant for a few minutes just to help get some seasoning flavor in and then pulled off the bone and put in. If you google white chicken lasanga and substitute quail, it would be very good.

Back