Looking at Over/Under 16 ga. opinions

lubers

Already have the new Browning A5 sweet 16 but have been also looking into getting a 16 over/under. The three I've been looking at have been the Citori Hunter, Franchi SL and the Stevens 555E. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Already have the new Browning A5 sweet 16 but have been also looking into getting a 16 over/under. The three I've been looking at have been the Citori Hunter, Franchi SL and the Stevens 555E. Anyone have any experience with any of these?
Can’t go wrong with a Browning

Yes I have the Hunter in 12 gauge, and CXS in 20 gauge both are great. Waiting for the shop I buy from to get back to me on prices on all three. Been leaning towards the Hunter, never had an issue with any of my Browning's except for the dreaded sticky stock and forearm on my Maxus.

I have a new A5 SweetSixteen and also a Citori White Lightning in 16 ga. Great pair of shotguns. A few years ago I bought a grandson a Stevens 555E in 20 ga. It's a nice gun but it's no Browning. I guess it probably depends on your budget but I recommend one of the 16 ga. Citori's.

Get the Citori. I have a Franchi SL 20 gauge also. It is a nice gun but it’s a little clunky compared to my Citori. But it is also about half the price and it shows in the way it feels.

Bought a browning citori superlight
12 gauge this spring… 6.25 lbs, straight stock, sweet gun..have had a gran lightning 16 gauge for 18 years, no better or worse than the superlight 12 gauge…the latter can be bought used for $14-1700 in 95%+ condition

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those. I screwed up and sold my Citori 16. Then when I wanted another no one was making a 16 except F.A.I.R. Rizini. I bought one, then another. As much as I loved my old Citori, I wouldn't trade my Rizini for one. Well maybe a superlight!

If you want a new production gun, and can afford the citori, buy the citori. You almost invariably get what you pay for when it comes to double guns.

Is there a reason why you want a 16ga having one already? I know once a 16ga lover always a 16ga lover.
However, if you want just to have the ability to go o/u way and on a budget as for a second gun- look into the savage 555, CZ & Tristar trinity. They are well built & solid reviews etc. If budget is not an issue than stay with Browning and its Citori lightning. My brother has the 555 and has never has an issue. He uses as a hunting gun and not for trap shooting.

Is there a reason why you want a 16ga having one already? I know once a 16ga lover always a 16ga lover.
However, if you want just to have the ability to go o/u way and on a budget as for a second gun- look into the savage 555, CZ & Tristar trinity. They are well built & solid reviews etc. If budget is not an issue than stay with Browning and its Citori lightning. My brother has the 555 and has never has an issue. He uses as a hunting gun and not for trap shooting.
Yes when I go out of state hunting I like to bring along a back up of the same gauge. Just easier, budget not a problem but I probably wont be shooting it much just use as a back up. In saying that Cabela's had their CZ Teal on sale for 549 with fixed barrels IC/Mod. Ordered one and picked it up yesterday. Feels fine looks good think I'll take it out tomorrow and see how it shoots.

See if it fits you. Years ago, I went into a shop to buy a Citori. I shouldered everyone they had and not a one came up right for me. I ended up with a Red Label. I now have a Citori Crossover for sporting clays and it fits me.

Back