Last Quail hunt of the year

Jubilee

Nothing like hunting some new spots on the last day of the season. Worked out really good for us, and found some coveys that acted like they had never been shot at before, and if they had been the sizes of the coveys didn't reflect it. The great thing about the whole day, we didn't hurt any of the coveys population wise, and the numbers remaining in the coveys look good going into the off-season. Nice 3 man limit.

Last edited:
Just wish we would have hit a couple of these places a little earlier in the year, we left a lot of ground unhunted on the last place once the 3rd limit was accomplished. The dogs weren't ready to call it quits either. I guess it is best just to leave them wanting more.:cheers:

Hope they are still there for you and the dogs next season! Three limits of quail for one day is quite a feat for Kansas this year. I didn't run into very many at all this season and only harvested 4 in my 15 or so days afield, of course I didn't pull the trigger on several opportunities.....

Very exciting indeed! Congratulations:cheers:

Way to save that for pic and story for the end of season. We should probably take it off before the internet scouters come back next September;)

Last edited:
Thats a heck of a last quail hunt.
Years ago I ran in a trial down in Yate Center. There was some great looking quail ground down there. Glad to see you still have some Quail down there.

Very exciting indeed! Congratulations:cheers:

Way to save that for pic and story for the end of season. We should probably take it off before the internet scouters come back next September;)

Yep, don't let me forget.

Here are a couple pictures of the hounds that helped us reach our limits.

Nice looking pointers.

But maybe you should see if you can get a longer collar on them. Those could double as CC :D

:coolpics:

The Male Shorthair is real young, (first full year) but I think he is going to be rock solid. The two pointers are just stellar, and the female shorthair is a dead bird finding fool. Most of the pictures we took were on singles while working out in shorter cover. The birds held surprisingly well for the majority of the day.

Nice looking pointers.

But maybe you should see if you can get a longer collar on them. Those could double as CC :D

:coolpics:

Yeah one of these days we need to trim them back:cheers: But the colored collars also help keep the dogs identified better, for some reason my buddy and I like to run the same color and similar marked dogs. My little English pointer and his big male are pretty much identical other than Apollo's big orange patch on his side.
I don't know why I like this pic so much, it's a bit out of focus, but Lucy is getting ready to grab a downed bird and bring it back to me.

Last edited:
Great pictures, but your killing me. I grew up with english pointers and hunted them myself until about ten years ago. Nothing finer than watching a great looking point. Good job. I may have to start laying the groundwork for another dog or two......................

I have lived in sek for50 years,Crawford co. I haven't seen quail like that in 20 years.WHAT COUNTY DID YOU HUNT IN?I am so happy to see that many birds again.My 16 year old son thinks I'm bsing him about how it use to be. send me a pm,if you don't want to broadcast it.I can't wait to show him these pictures.
Nice looking dogs.

I got in on the very, very tail end of the "good" ole days, I can remember getting out of the truck and having a limit within 1/4 mile and that was usually meant 3-4 different coveys. Those days are long gone, and great dogs with them. I wish our current run of dogs could have ran in the glory days. The numbers are no where near back to what they used to be. The birds are in very isolated pockets, mostly on land that we have begged and pleaded with the farmers to not rip out that hedge row or plant that draw to lezpodesa (sp?), etc...
I can/will say we don't want to give up too much, but I think we did stay in Kansas the whole day:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I got in on the very, very tail end of the "good" ole days, I can remember getting out of the truck and having a limit within 1/4 mile and that was usually meant 3-4 different coveys. Those days are long gone, and great dogs with them. I wish our current run of dogs could have ran in the glory days. The numbers are no where near back to what they used to be. The birds are in very isolated pockets, mostly on land that we have begged and pleaded with the farmers to not rip out that hedge row or plant that draw to lezpodesa (sp?), etc...
I can/will say we were no where near my house, I don't want to give up too much, but I think we did stay in Kansas the whole day:thumbsup:

You have to limit the amount of information that you put out about good hunting spots, or they will not stay good.

I can remember days back before 1983 ( had a really bad winter then) where in an hour we could get 6-7 coveys pointed. When you can put a dog into that many birds pretty much every time you go out, you can develop one awesome bird dog.

Back