last few weeks...

birdman652001

I switched from this job: after 9 years... i so wanted to get back into spraying and drive truck.. my high school budy works here and asked if i would wanna work since they are understaffed and he knew i could spray, so i took a long consideration, and compared benefits and pay... this new job turns out better pay and benefits than my federal job.. believe it or not.. it does.

12-2tahoe-mecensored.jpg

to this job.. and making WAY more money than i did as a cop... and im MUCH happier and no BS politic crap...

S6300969.jpg

I already had my applicator license from my dad's business and farm... and i just got my CDL three weeks ago only failing ONE test and retaking it the next day and passing it with endorsement of Double/triple trailer, and Tanker.

i work long hours, but im actually getting paid for what im actually doing with a Bounce pay at the end of the year... which is nice.

Tmr, I go on a 100 mile journey to spray a 2,400 acre field.

i do have to say, i ahve seen ALOT of pheasants.. lots of roosters as well!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new job; I'm changing "responsibilities" in July myself. Good luck and enjoy the freedom.

Congrats on the new job; I'm changing "responsibilities" in July myself. Good luck and enjoy the freedom.

you have no idea how much more feedom i have now!!

no 24/7 on call for accidents... no more courts (although i still have some court dates i have to attend til my last report was written for a fatal accident investigation) no more mayors, no more state attorney up my butt, no more negative feedback from civilians.

this job, once im done, im done for the day, i dont get called out again.. which is really nice. I can request time off and KEEP it off. unlike police, im called out even on my vacation time... it sucks.

However, its funny to see a cop now being a trucker.. and that truck i have with the sprayer, even with the tank and sprayer empty, its overweight by 500 pounds.

there is a weigh station RIGHT at the corner of the business and they know and dont care. however if i go out west, HP troopers do so i dont think my I USED TO BE A COP savy is gonna get me out of a ticket. but they said they havent had a ticket for those kind of jobs in a LONG time.

we have a double axle trailer so it is 500 over weight.. if we had triple axle. we'd be in the clear.

gotta get the job done one way or another, illegal or not.

yup..

im to call in to the office and if they say runaway.. im suppose to take a route that goes NORTH of the weigh station and come back without having to go through. .. ;)

i dont do MC jobs so i dont really pay attention to weigh laws... i do accident really.. but if a trucker is involved in an accident.. then weight is a factor in my investigations.

i am just happy with who im working with. i even worked a 11 hour today.. i worked 7 days this week. i get a nice hourly rate with double pay so i put in close to 11-14 hour days.

Birdman, that's cool you found a job you can enjoy more and get some time off for hunting. Hope you keep on enjoying it.

Good for you man. Hope your happier:)
Sounds like you are

Congrats birdman, something to be said for doing what you like. This could turn into a great opportunity to find new places to hunt. Good luck and have fun.

Coach D

Sounds like it was time for a career change, congrats.
Are sprayers very busy in Oct-Nov?

Congrats on the new job, enjoy. I hope it gives you some time in the fall to chase a bird or 2.......................Bob

birdman, hope the new job works out well and you have a lot more time to spend in the field. Should you need a hunting partner at some time just give me a call and I'll drive over to Pierre.

yes.. i will have time off for NOV's hunt opposed to be on duty all the time.

Sprayers are busy oct nov as well.. killing off crops so farmers can grow winter wheat.

yah.. dont get me wrong. i love Law Enforcement, but i find more flexible with this job and better hours as well.. and damn good pay. Not only will be just spraying, but i will be trucking in the winter hauling dry fert, liq fert, and hauling grain as well. but i should have time to hunt.

Congrats!

I know all about what you are saying about the negative parts about being in law enforcement. My dad and many of my friends are/were in that field. One of my best friends is from South Dakota and is a deputy. He's ready to pull his hair out from the umbilical cord BS of the job.

Hope it works out for you. O done a lot of custom farm work a few years back. O loved it. I pumped hog barns and put it on the fields, worked fields, did harvesting, drove grain truck, Exc. A great life IMO.

Good decision IMO, every once in a while you have to take a gamble.

Onpoint.

Birdman, sounds good. You will do well.

Back