Labardoodle

dmurrph01

Anyone here that is actively using a labardoodle to hunt pheasant or duck with? Or know anyone who is using one. Id be very interested in hearing some stories or prod and cons.

Yeah, dead serious. Ive done a little bit of research and from what it sounds like Labardoodles make excellent hunting dogs. Poodles were used as hunting dogs by germans i believe. They have great noses and are very intellegent, and of course we know characterictics of labs. I was curious to see if anyone has any first hand experience hunting pheasants.

look, i don't mean to be rude, but the labradoddle is nothing but a designer breed, ill conceived by some idiot who had nothing better to do that day.......it is testimony for too many lab breeders who got bored and decided to bastardize the breed, purposely mixing them with poodles and goldens.
there are enough mutts around which need homed/re-homed and there are plenty of good hunting breeds....for serious bird hunters....stuff like this gripes me to no end.

Chances of getting a good Labordoodle that can hunt would probably be like finding a needle in a hay stack. "Most" poodles these days are about the furthest from a hunting dog as you can get. Think about that. Now think about breeding that poodle to some back yard bred lab that for generations in his pedigree has had nothing but street pounders in it, (if it's even registered).

Combine that black lab with this poodle and see if you have much of a hunting dog.

It may attempt to hunt some but why not just get a quality bred lab or a poodle from hunting lines?

Labordoodle, golden doodles etc etc are all a joke! They gain nothing mixing those two breeds in my opinion.

I think getting a pure bred standard Poodle that has a hunting background would be a better way to go. There are some breeders out there that are raising hunting Poodles and running them in various hunt tests like AKC. I did a little web search and found one in Wisconsin. http://lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/

Oddly enough, my wife is looking at one of those as a house dog....the non-curly-haired rendition.
I'd prefer another lab but...one will have such issues arise.

I would expect the odds of winning out with a mix of a hunting lab and a hunting poodle to be fairly large as owners of each would understand the little value and hunting market such a critter would find.
Each dog alone would find the most customers...satisfied customers.
One must sell these designed dogs that marketers and bored folk come up with....too often, I reckon the resulting pups are not the focus of the experiment.

david0311

Anyone here that is actively using a labardoodle to hunt pheasant or duck with? Or know anyone who is using one. Id be very interested in hearing some stories or prod and cons.

Why??? if you want a hunting dog get a hunting breed from good bloodlines not some designer dog from a puppy mill --and forget the Bravo-Sierra stuff you hear from the guy who has a friend who knows a guy who's second cousin has one of these that does everything in the field--cleans the birds--oils the guns and mixes a great martini--JMO

My question would be - what are you hoping to gain out of this combo? Please dont tell me its a dog that doesnt shed..
Hunting dogs are dirty stinking muddy burr ridden drooling fools so shedding is the least of your issues.

There's a million hunting Labs and Field Goldens across the country just waiting to go to a hunting home. And that's just two of two dozen breeds.

Some mixed feelings on this. Feed back is appreciated and opinions are respected. I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder.

I tend to agree on the issue with everyone else. Any serious breeder of goldens or labs would never cross with a poodle. First of all they aren't recognized by AKC so there is no standardization to compare. I would think that any reputable breeder of poddles thinks the same thing. I have seen some guys run them at fun hunt tests and haven't seen one do anything very well. Just my thoughts on the issue. By the way I raise hunting goldens and they are getting harder and harder to find good ones!

NONE of the "puppy producers" ( I refuse to call them BREEDERS) kicking out Labradoodles are after hunting dogs. Some LDs have very serious allergy and/or temperment issues.

Why would you pay $1000-$2000 for what is basically a mutt??

Find a hunting breed, pick out a pup and GO! :thumbsup:

NB

Back