Know how to ask.

Agree and disagree. Groups like Pheasants Forever are doing a tremendous job of purchasing land, restoring it to a habitat suitable for wildlife, then gifting it over to a state or federal agency. Across much of the pheasant region, there is more and more public land each year than the previous year. Each individual can do their small part by simply being a PF member. They are lobbying for all of us that don't have much of a voice, whether it is turning land public, fighting for state money to be spent on conservation, or getting in politicians ears in DC about things like CRP acres in the farm bill.

But yes, if bird numbers continue to decline, then it will be pay to play hunting. Probably on released birds. We can all do our part to help create or donate to habitat to prevent that from happening.
In Montana, these WMA'S, AND PHEASANT forever areas, will eventually start charging money.Its coming. Just look at campgrounds, they are all starting to charge. Boat launches, now charge money, although I don't pay, generally.

In Montana, these WMA'S, AND PHEASANT forever areas, will eventually start charging money.Its coming. Just look at campgrounds, they are all starting to charge. Boat launches, now charge money, although I don't pay, generally.

I would say none of that is quite comparable... Campgrounds require reservations, similar to a hotel. They are also private, similar to a private pay to play hunting scenario that requires reservations for your group. As far as I know, no public boat ramps charge money unless they are located in a State Park that requires a State Park pass/daily admission fee? Private boat ramps, sure, they charge. I guess if you want to get really technical, the "free public areas" are still charging you in the form of taxes, licenses, etc. Even though you claimed to have never "paid to play" outside of one hunt in SD that your Dad paid for, you are still paying to play - just not directly. I will guarantee you that PF will never donate land that was raised through their private donations, to in turn make it a place to pay to access.

I would say none of that is quite comparable... Campgrounds require reservations, similar to a hotel. They are also private, similar to a private pay to play hunting scenario that requires reservations for your group. As far as I know, no public boat ramps charge money unless they are located in a State Park that requires a State Park pass/daily admission fee? Private boat ramps, sure, they charge. I guess if you want to get really technical, the "free public areas" are still charging you in the form of taxes, licenses, etc. Even though you claimed to have never "paid to play" outside of one hunt in SD that your Dad paid for, you are still paying to play - just not directly. I will guarantee you that PF will never donate land that was raised through their private donations, to in turn make it a place to pay to access.
Did you know that boat launches in state campgrounds, are charging money to launch a boat?State campgrounds, now charge 15 dollars a night, most of them.Private campgrounds, of course have always charged. My point is, public land, is starting to charge.Ive been hunting now for 45 years, and I've never paid to hunt, and I've had excellent hunting.I have harvested 100's of birds, but the days of free public land hunting are dwindling.Now on this asking permission issue.Ir takes years to get good at it. Its nice to have a realitive in the area, or some kind of connection. Look for the guy that only has 50 acres.Those guys are rare these days.Usually the red headed step child, but those are the honey holes.

Did you know that boat launches in state campgrounds, are charging money to launch a boat?State campgrounds, now charge 15 dollars a night, most of them.

Which is the same as always and essentially what I said... state campgrounds are located in state parks, which have always required an annual pass or daily admission fee to enter the property. Since the boat ramp is located within the property, then yes, they do charge. That's pretty much how it has always been.

It’s an advantage if your wife hunts. A husband and wife knocking on a door for access is pretty well received in my experience. Particularly post deer season.

Or more commonly, a youngster.

I drove up on this beat up farm on the high line, I knew it was a red headed, step child place.This guy only had 50 acres, out of 15,000 that his dad had, but he had a deep cut, with a crick.I saw that he was a Ford guy, and I happened to have an old Ford starter in my camper tool storage. So I got this starter from an old dude down on the muscleshell. So I walked to the door , with this starter in my hand.I said," I noticed you have a 69 f250, here is a working starter for it.That guy was stoked, and he had birds all over the place, and Turkey! If it wasn't such a CRUISE, I'd go there 3 times a year!! Real strange, uneducated dude, but what a great coulee.

In Montana, people live WAY OUT IN THE BOONIES!!!!! Some of them are a little, or a lot, off kilter.Ive knocked on doors of places right out of the movie, Deliverance.

OK—THE DEVILS GOT ME—
CANT PASS THIS UP—
AFTER KNOCKING ON THE DOOR DID YOUR FAMILY LET YOU IN?::mad::rolleyes:

Goose.....I always like your posts, but even I am having a hard time with your last post.....just hard to believe you carry new starters with you!!!

good points, i agree.[/QUOT. Yes, a 6 pack of pbr, or something like that.I do, unlike you, have a problem with pay hunting.You don't realize that all hunting will be pay hunting, in the future.Thumbs down!

Quote: And that said, there is nothing wrong with the people who charge big money to hunt their land. They own the land, they pay taxes on the land, they maintain the land. All of that takes time, effort, and money on their behalf.

while i don't support this myself, if i am the landowner i still have the right to do this....pretty simple. agree or not, the public does not have permission on private ground.
the pay hunter is simply purchasing the right to hunt....like the farmer, who is simply planting corn to sell at the elevator.

If you plant any crop you have costs. Land, seed, fertilizer, planting equipment, harvest equipment just to name a few. If you set aside land for wildlife you have costs. Land, seed, planting equipment just to name a few. If the return on either crop d oes not exceed the expense it cannot continue. I f people did not pay for hunting there would be a lot more hunting pressure on public land. Mr. Goosemaster I assume you do not mind if landowners invest in producing corn, soybeans or wheat. I assume it is alright to get paid for the crops produced. So if some landowner invests in wildlife is it alright to get paid for the crop produced?

Goose.....I always like your posts, but even I am having a hard time with your last post.....just hard to believe you carry new starters with you!!!
I know right? It was a freak coincidence. It wasn't new, but had been rebuilt, and I had it tested. When I saw that pick up, I remembered the starter, then it was a matter of having the right engine.

Back