Kansas in January - any takers?

MR byrd we dont hunt with fifty the most we will take is 10 and thats pushing it when we go there its more of an enjoyable hunt than a sloughter fest the birds are there and we hunt the dogs and with any luck we will get something but dodge sounds fine for me also around the 15 of jan would work out great

If you guys don't mind a relative newcomer to the site tagging along, I'd be interested. In the past, I try to get to Kansas the second weekend in January; call Dodge City home for a few days, hunt a little, but mostly catch up with friends after the New Year. Have hunted with as many as sixteen, but that is not nearly as enjoyable as a solo or partner hunt, should have a newly rescued GSP ready for his first season. Let me know what you guys have in mind when the season rolls around.

Mind a newcommer? Never. I've never met any of these guys w/ the exception of Kiotehntr and Huntin4fun. Everybody will be new to me. Come on out. Sounds like this may actually happen this time:thumbsup: I know I'll be off b/c I'm submitting this as my first vacation request. As far as a hunting party is concerned, we'll divide into groups we're comfortable with before entering the field(s).

newcomers are great as long as we can all have a sit down about things so we can all have a chance to get the basics as far as other peaples dogs hunt i know mine hunt differently than everyone elses

and as long as we have 2 peaple who are fairly acclamated with the area taking 2 groups would be great and maybe re split after lunch

This is sounding better and better. Am I the odd one out with a lab??? Good thing he has a good whistle sit. Will be interesting to see him on truly wild birds. Hard to come by up by me.

your not the odd one I run my lab with all my pointing dogs that way I get the bird brought to me instead of searching for it becouse my pointing dogs are to focused on finding more birds they will retrieve but only if she isnt along

Doesn't even have to be birds there for me. I'm from MI, remember.:). I just want to get away, give the dog a chance to handle some birds in Jan, see some other dogs work, and swap some hunting stories around the "camp fire."

gsp me and kansas brittany are planing on putting you on some birds hoprfully you will have a blast and will come back

Gosh Gove County Brits that offer sounds awfully tempting. We are from Southern In. and planning to hunt out there in Jan. We have a contact near Brownell where we can stay. Our plan was to watch the weather and come when the weather looked decent since I am selfemployed and at the slow time of the year at that time and another guy is a mailcarrier and can be very flexible as well since not many people take their vacations there the other two are retired. The weather is important though my dad is 79 and I know he won't go if its real bad.

Brownell is close enough to Dodge that you could at least come down and have lunch with us. I'm not sure how we're going to split up for hunting groups. I imagine the guys w/ flushers will leave together and then there will be a group or 2 of pointer guys. We could always have a large group heading to a big CRP field and split into manageable groups and split the field in half. I don't really care and I'm not trying to lead the coordination of hunting groups, but we should talk a bit about how we'd like to do this to get some ideas. I can take a pretty big group to my private ground that time of year, though there isn't a great deal of late winter cover there. Perhaps a WIHA CRP field, then some private feed fields.

Maynard, what is the best place in or around Dodge for us to meet for lunch?

Last edited:
how about we draw straws or do rock paper scissors LOL

Not a bad idea. Split the pointer guys and flusher guys, then start drawing straws. I'm good either way. I just want to meet a bunch of the guys on this site, then head out to hunt with a few of them. I won't know who I like and who I don't until lunch is over anyway ;):cool:

I would love to do this but I leave back for the sand box the weekend prior. I am interested to see what developes from this. I personally think that things like this will only make this site better and I fully encourage max participation. It is far enough away for people to get their ducks in a row with time/money management so I think that this really has a good shot of happening. I hope that for everyone that does go that they make some great friends and memories. KB I may not be able to go but depending on how this turns out as far a head count and what not if dogs became a limiting factor you know you are always more than welcome to take mine and put some birds in front of them while I am gone.

me either I was just joking about the straws I think we should maybe run some flushers with the pointers maybe we could utilize both the breeds at that time and we could see how well both breeds work together

thats fine doesnt matter to me i have a couple young dogs and they hunt with flushers all the time
but its whatever i dont think there will be a right or wrong way of how we do this as long as we are all on the same page as far as what we are there for and that is to meet each other and hopefully make some friendships and future hunting buddies and oh yea get a bird or two

thats fine doesnt matter to me i have a couple young dogs and they hunt with flushers all the time
but its whatever i dont think there will be a right or wrong way of how we do this as long as we are all on the same page as far as what we are there for and that is to meet each other and hopefully make some friendships and future hunting buddies and oh yea get a bird or two

I'm glad it works for you, but it is simply my preference not to hunt my pointing dogs with flushers. I have pointing dogs for a reason and that's b/c I like to sit and stare at a good point for a bit. I like my group of dogs to honor each other. Many times I get 3 or 4 of them involved in each point if the birds are holding well enough (should be holding great that time of year). I would happily kennel my dogs and watch some great flushers. They are fun to hunt w/ too.

I agree that this is about meeting one another and not all about the hunt. To be honest, I was only going to go w/ a group for the sake of getting to know some of these people better. I'd rather just have lunch and take GSP and maybe another guy out for the day. I like 3 or 4 man groups.

I'm not arguing with your reasons behind the seperate groups I was just saying that they can work well with each other

And yes It was just supposed to be a couple of us getting together but it has gotten more attention and thats okay we will just have to change tacktics a bit

I didn't think you were arguing GCB. I just wanted to be clear that I'm not bashing or outcasting flushers by stating that I'd rather not run my pointers with them (I'll run my 2 brits, but not the others). I hope as many people come as possible, pointers, flushers, pit bulls, I don't care. We'll see how things go at lunch and make some decisions as to who is going where. I wouldn't mind hitting a field near Dodge with a large group, I just probably won't spend a full day w/ a large group.

It should be a good time whether we hit the field or not. I'm sure there will be plenty of stories from the season to share by the time we all get together:cheers:

Back