Kansas in January - any takers?

GSP

Greetings all,

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a late season January Kansas hunt. I thought my hunting partner here in MI was going to accompany me, but he and his wife are expecting and it now looks like he won't be able to make it.

I know the weather could be foul and the birds will be pressured and spooky, but it still beats sticking around here and shoveling snow.

I'm thinking a long weekend, like driving all night and hunting Fri morning through Mon afternoon.

Pheasants would be my primary quarry, but a covey of quail would be a welcome bonus.

My style of hunting is pretty laid back. Dog work is first and formost for me. I hunt over a 2.5 yr old shorthair that is honest with his birds, medium range (150-200 yards), steady to wing, and has a pathetic retrieve. We're working on that...

It would be nice to meet up with a like minded hunter to rotate dogs with so that we could hunt all day.

I prefer to do public access as the economy in MI is in the toilet right now, and I want to keep this on the cheap. Would prefer to camp as well. However, if someone has access to a lease, I may be able to pony up. I have a varmint rifle that hasn't been used in years and I'm contimplating selling it.

Regards,
Mike

hey GSP f you want to come to western kansas I would be willing to let you hunt with me and i have plenty of dog power so we can definetly hunt all day as for the varmint rifle if you havent sold it by then bring it coyote hunting is ok here and we may ind some time to call a few in

as far as staying arangements the motels around here ar not to pricy and if we time it us right there is a little place here in town that rents rooms for around 50.00 a night it has a complete kitchen and everything you may need

Hey GSP just let me know when the time gets closer, sounds like our styles might be compatible. Just bought another GSP this off season after being dog poor for 2 years and he should be ready to get out and see some birds.

maybe three or four of us could get together and have a hunting weekend it sounds like fun we could pick a central location and meet up there

Well seeing as January is the slow time of the year at my work and I get bumped to three weeks of vacation this year I might be in if you are looking for a fourth. Will have to see when it gets closer to then. GSP you and I could split the price of gas as I am in WI.

is anyone interested in joining this hunt if so I think we should try and get things finalixed as november is just around the corner

sounds good anytime after opening weekend is good for me so when you get the time off just tell me usually a week in advance helps me out to plan or i know for sure we will be in norton at thankgiving time if that would work better for you

Guys,

Please let me know when you decide to do this. I'd sure like to have a gathering with some of the folks from this site like we do with the catfishing site I'm a member of. It is fun to get a bunch of like-minded folks together. We've talked of it before, just never got it done. I'm not so sure about 40 of us that don't know each other going into the same field w/ loaded guns, but I'll create my own comfort zone in terms of spacing. I know how far a shotgun reaches and if gun safety is a problem, I'll move over.

Even if it is only 10 guys meeting for dinner and/or a short hunt, count me in. I'd like to put a face with some of these names.

Well I've got every other weekend off, and can get any off with notice so im open anytime during the season. Kansasbrittany ill be sure to let ya know whatever we figure out

you wont need to worry about forty guys with me hunting i dont go past ten and even that many is pushing it and i'm all about safety i hate peaple that are careless purposely accidents happen but some guys are just stupid about the way they do things I think we are all old enough to enjoy a nice hunt withoput any major setbacks anytime after the first is good for me

I would like to get together with some of the guys on the forum. Doubt if I will travel far from Dodge this year since I plan to be guiding deer hunters on the new deer haven my sons and I purchased.

So if any one is near Dodge, give me a call.

If we do this in January, I should be done with the guided deer hunts, except a doe hunt I plan to host for youth or wounded warriors at the ranch in January.

BTW, I did hunt the opener at Hugoton two years ago at the invite of my Alaskan brother. Before the sun was up, B.J. was there to check licenses and then I realized just how many was in the group. By far the biggest group I had ever been in at a count of fifty-three. Won't do that again.

Keep me posted and if possible I will be there.

Dodge City would work great for me too. Let's plan one there. I say somewhere around January 15. GCB and I are going to hunt w/ GSP that w/e anyway. If more people are going to show than we are comfortable hutning w/, we'll split the group after dinner.

That sounds fine with me also, i'll drive about anywhere as long as theres a chance theres birds there! lol, and as always safety is of the utmost importance.

Back