Kansas Coyotes

I see quite a few guys hunting for coyotes with dogs in NW Kansas. I feel that the amount of game birds a coyote will eat in a year is minimal. Nest predation kills the largest percentage. Coons , possums , black snakes , rats and foxes will hammer a clutch of eggs. The underrated live kill predator is the feral house cat. I agree that removing coyotes does very little to to decrease game bird mortality. They will eat newborn fawns. Rabbit hunters loose out to them too. No matter what drives you to shoot them , it is a very fun hunt and probably the easies to access private lands you can ask for.

I did not see a single fawn on a game camera this year.
But Troy, the coyotes here are not doing much of a job with the coons, they are all over the place. I have game camera pictures with as many as 11 coons in the same frame.

Having never hunted coyotes or coons, I guess I may have to take a few off the property so I have more quail.

I too have pic of coyotes, deer, and coons in the same pic at my feeder. Yotes eating corn next to coons and deer.

Crazy

I bought a couple of the dog proof coon traps. Have not set any of them yet.
We don't seem to have many opossums or skunks, we have coons all over. These are not little coons. Not sure a coyote could kill one without getting pretty torn up by the coon.

I would have sworn we did not have any opossums either, but when we trap around the chicken coop we catch them nearly 3-1 over raccoons. Raccoons are smarter, so many of them probably avoid the traps, but still, it is shocking how many are around.

My trail cameras generally won't trigger on opossums either, maybe they move too slow or are too small.

I read some study they did in Texas (I think it was) and they found that feeding corn actually hurt the quail population in the area because it concentrated the predator population around the feeder.

I read some study they did in Texas (I think it was) and they found that feeding corn actually hurt the quail population in the area because it concentrated the predator population around the feeder.

I think it is that way for just about every thing, even the deer and elk when they are concentrated.. Maybe have a few of them as not to poole all the critters into one spot..Predators are not dumb and will take advantage when they can..I shoot coyotes thinking if the more rabbits and mice there are it will take the pressure off the upland birds when the aviary predators come in thick.I have a friend with a Redtail and that hawk does not miss too many rabbits..It may be a weird way to think about it, but it makes sense to me that if there are less mice and rabbits, what is left on the menu besides pheas and quail..I understand what predators wreak havok on the nests and I have had my share of pheasant killing skunks when I raised birds, But if I can knock out a few of each it can only help...If mother nature provides the moisture for great habitat it helps everything including predators..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Scratched out two skunks and one coyote during my last trip to SWK. Roosters were flying out of every field at the far end the first step into the field. Actually was SKUNKED all morning and never had a shot. Then, it got windy, very windy, in the afternoon but I picked up a couple birds late in the day.

Just my two cents here. Trap all you can after your deer season is over. I take out 50+ coons, 4-5 Foxes, 12+ Coyotes, 30+ possums and chit load of skunks off our area every year. A skunk has only one natural predator by the way and it is a Great Horned Owl. I started trapping really hard in 2013 on my little area to help out the bird population. We now have Turkeys, quail and Pheasants coming back. I use Stink bait for catfishing and it works great on all animals.

Just my two cents here. Trap all you can after your deer season is over. I take out 50+ coons, 4-5 Foxes, 12+ Coyotes, 30+ possums and chit load of skunks off our area every year. A skunk has only one natural predator by the way and it is a Great Horned Owl. I started trapping really hard in 2013 on my little area to help out the bird population. We now have Turkeys, quail and Pheasants coming back. I use Stink bait for catfishing and it works great on all animals.

Do the math! That's over 100 predators X 365 days of eating a year = 36,500 days of eating something each year! Hmmmm, does that figure up to anything??? Maybe! Lots of ways to take a number of those species without endangering 1 bird dog. Also another way to be out in the field instead of watching the NFL or whatever! Wanna bond with the kids, take them out! Wanna get the neighbor kid doing something positive, get him addicted to this! MY 2 Cents. Good work Matte!

Last edited:

we need more guys doing this.......good work.

Could have shot one from my driveway last night. He was hanging out in a pasture about 300 yards away. Also saw one on the east side of Gardner after work yesterday, sitting above a drainage ditch near the New Century Air Center.

How big an area are you trapping to remove this may pests? What type of traps and how many are you using?

I have 160 acres that is loaded with Coons, possums and coyotes. No foxes but several Bobcats.

If there is a trapper in the Manhattan area who would want my nuisance raccoons, please PM me. They would be free for pick up. :laugh:

I use to have access to 9,000 acres in Johnson County. It was a mix of timber, creeks, ag and cattle. The rancher shot over 50 coyotes every year for 3 years! I was impressed the first year, but amazed there were still that many to shoot the following years.

Rut

I too have pic of coyotes, deer, and coons in the same pic at my feeder. Yotes eating corn next to coons and deer.

Crazy

And corn is supposed to be bad for dog. At least so say the commercials.

Everyone thinks coyotes are bad. I think people think this because they are the most obvious predators (very vocal and don't have to see them to know they are there). In reality species listed above like snakes, skunks, possums and coons eat eggs. I won't think twice about running over any of the above, well, except a skunk!

And corn is supposed to be bad for dog. At least so say the commercials.

Everyone thinks coyotes are bad. I think people think this because they are the most obvious predators (very vocal and don't have to see them to know they are there). In reality species listed above like snakes, skunks, possums and coons eat eggs. I won't think twice about running over any of the above, well, except a skunk!

that's a damn hungry yote that is eating corn......they eat it only as a last resort.

Back