Kansas Coyotes

BleuBijou

I have been told there are a bunch of Yotes running around this year. I am thinking of making a trip to thin some out and help some birds out... Does one have to contact the GF to hunt at night on Private ground? Or is night hunting taboo? I know here we have to contact the Division and let them know and there can't be any big game season going on..Thanks

You can hunt at night, but you can't use an artificial light. I have called a lot of them in when the snow is on and the moon is bright.

Cherokee county is loaded with coyotes, and I mean loaded. I will hear 4 different groups howling it up every evening. I see more yotes than deer when bowhunting.

They are terribly thick. No one hunts them at all anymore. Probably too much purple paint. With everything leased up you can't run dogs at all anymore. Do you live in Crawford County?

There are all over my place. I would guess a minimum of 30 within ear shot.
Don't think anyone has hunted them there for a while, as the seem to have minimal fear of people.

Sounds like some thinning out is in order...Thanks for the clarification. I read up on the legal methods of take..Your regs are so much easier to read through than ours..If anyone goes out for some predator hunting post up your success!!

coyotes kill and eat meso predators coons possums skunks snakes and run foxes off all of which kill pheasants ducks and quail

they are very beneficial to game birds

Last edited:
coyotes kill and eat meso predators coons possums skunks snakes and run foxes off all of which kill pheasants ducks and quail

they are very beneficial to game birds

What Bobman said! Buuuuut, at this level, they can be hell on the fawn crop! Nothing more fun that approaching a set and hearing that chain rattle!

What Bobman said! Buuuuut, at this level, they can be hell on the fawn crop! Nothing more fun that approaching a set and hearing that chain rattle!

I did not see a single fawn on a game camera this year.
But Troy, the coyotes here are not doing much of a job with the coons, they are all over the place. I have game camera pictures with as many as 11 coons in the same frame.

Having never hunted coyotes or coons, I guess I may have to take a few off the property so I have more quail.

If there are sufficient rats and other prey, why fight a coon to eat. If I had a small acreage and knew I had that many nest predators, I'd eliminate some! Pretty easy to box trap or get a couple of dog proof traps and take some out. With the dog proof, some coon lure and cat food in the trap and you can be pretty effective. Not all that good at taking out the possum and skunks though. If you don't have dogs on your ground, a 160 or 220 conibear in a box or bucket can be really good. If there are dogs around, no. Getting a neighbor kid trained to do it for you might be the ticket if your ground isn't close to home.

land set connibears should be illegal

I had a coyote walk by with a dead coon in its mouth while bow hunting in Wisconsin, I do agree that coons are not a big part of their diet. Coons are tough but possums etc are something they definitely will kill and eat.

there's always been a lot of coons. maybe more this season than years past, but I,ve never have seen as many yotes as I have this year.
Started in the spring, we had one turn and charge us turkey hunting. we are use to seeing a dog by their self's, but this fall and winter, we have been seeing groups of three or more.even had a dog come between me and a buck I was trying to get a shot at.(Maybe 10 yards) scared the crap out of me, didn't seem to bother the deer to much, as if they where use to it?
I have never been dog hunting, but I will be gunning for them after deer season is over.
Westkansas, yes I do.in pittsburg, drive to columbus to work. so I see them all over.

I bought a couple of the dog proof coon traps. Have not set any of them yet.
We don't seem to have many opossums or skunks, we have coons all over. These are not little coons. Not sure a coyote could kill one without getting pretty torn up by the coon.

I bought a couple of the dog proof coon traps. Have not set any of them yet.
We don't seem to have many opossums or skunks, we have coons all over. These are not little coons. Not sure a coyote could kill one without getting pretty torn up by the coon.

I am pretty sure a big coon can take a single coyote. I have never seen as many coyotes as we have this year. We had more pack rats last year than I had ever seen also, I think that may be one reason for all the yotes.

As many yotes as I see, I saw double the coons this year bowhunting. Parades of them walking under my stand. And the damn river otters are multiplying this year. They are terrible fish eaters. They need to raise the limit on those critters. And dillos, kill em all.

As many yotes as I see, I saw double the coons this year bowhunting. Parades of them walking under my stand. And the damn river otters are multiplying this year. They are terrible fish eaters. They need to raise the limit on those critters. And dillos, kill em all.[/QU

Yes the river otters are getting quite numerous. It wasn't that long ago there weren't any.

River otters were believed to be common along all the major streams and rivers in Kansas during
the early 1800?s, but the last reported otter was trapped near Manhattan in northeastern Kansas in
1904 (Lantz 1905, Bee et al. 1981). Efforts to restore the river otter to Kansas began when
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks released 17 river otters from Minnesota and Idaho into
the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Chase County, Kansas, from 1983-1985 (Fleharty
1995). River otters are classified as a furbearer in Kansas but there is currently no open harvest.
Incidental trappings, roadkill carcasses, anecdotal sightings and results from limited sign surveys
(Eccles 1989, Ostroff 2001) confirm that otters are present in Kansas, but little is known about
their current distribution and how local- and landscape-level habitat affects their distribution.

As many yotes as I see, I saw double the coons this year bowhunting. Parades of them walking under my stand. And the damn river otters are multiplying this year. They are terrible fish eaters. They need to raise the limit on those critters. And dillos, kill em all.[/QU

Yes the river otters are getting quite numerous. It wasn't that long ago there weren't any.

River otters were believed to be common along all the major streams and rivers in Kansas during
the early 1800?s, but the last reported otter was trapped near Manhattan in northeastern Kansas in
1904 (Lantz 1905, Bee et al. 1981). Efforts to restore the river otter to Kansas began when
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks released 17 river otters from Minnesota and Idaho into
the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Chase County, Kansas, from 1983-1985 (Fleharty
1995). River otters are classified as a furbearer in Kansas but there is currently no open harvest.
Incidental trappings, roadkill carcasses, anecdotal sightings and results from limited sign surveys
(Eccles 1989, Ostroff 2001) confirm that otters are present in Kansas, but little is known about
their current distribution and how local- and landscape-level habitat affects their distribution.

They released some here in the mined land wildlife area back then as well. They trap quite a few of them here, and some of them go over 50 lbs. I saw one last year and had one on my trail camera back in 2012. They are getting quite plentiful here in the strip pits. Trappers are only allowed 2 otters per season.

Last edited:
Back